Watching Norris Pitch Really Makes Me Realize How Painful Watching Arrieta Pitch Was!

Old#5fan

My goodness, this young man works fast, throws strikes and even is quick as lightening with his pickoff move to first. Even though he has given up the two solo homers, he is a breath of fresh air in not messing around. No more watching a guy tugging at his cap, sighing, taking deep breaths and not throwing strikes. Also, iI know this is just one game but it seems like the Astros hitters aren't fouling off a lot of third strikes either. He is getting them to whiff! I like what I see and this looks like a good trade for the O's.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ordinarily I'd criticize this kind of post for trying to link two different trades, but watching anyone else pitch makes me feel better about not having to watch Arrieta throw...so, whatevs.

I was thinking more of the comparison in pitching styles between the two and the fact they are both 27 years of age, but Norris seems WAY more polished and pretty much the opposite of Jake.

Yeah, it looks like LH are going to hurt him. He looks tough on RH though.

I did see him throw some might nice sliders/cutters that were virtually unhittable in the location he was thrown them, breaking in on the hands of a left handed batter. I also saw some nice off speed pitches that broke down and he was getting swinging strikeouts and they would get hitters out on either side of the plate.

Norris now has something to pitch for and has a better defense behind him. It'll be interesting to see if he can take his game to another level.

I don't want to jinx him but from watching him tonite for the first time I think he is going to have more of a positive impact on the rotation than Feldman.

I did see him throw some might nice sliders/cutters that were virtually unhittable in the location he was thrown them, breaking in on the hands of a left handed batter. I also saw some nice off speed pitches that broke down and he was getting swinging strikeouts and they would get hitters out on either side of the plate.
He was better than I expected. I'm happy.

Yeah, it looks like LH are going to hurt him. He looks tough on RH though.

Norris' lifetime line against RHB is: .251/.314/.393/.707 with a 3.21 K/BB ratio. If he can get his .797 OPS against LHB under control, he can be a really good pitcher for us, not just a #3/4 starter.

The question is whether he can improve that change up and keep the FB out of the middle of the plate.

From what I've read, he started throwing his CH against LH more this year, and he's got hammered by LH (.859 OPS against) this year. For his career he's done much better against LH, apparently from throwing the SL more. Hopefully, Matt realizes that and calls pitches that help him limit the damage by LH.

Defense doesn't help with the gopher balls and he flirted with them all night. This is the exact start everyone would have expected if we had sent Tommy Hunter out vs Houston.

He looked worse than I hoped, but I'll chalk that up to anxiety. Limited velocity on the fb, hanging breaking balls, and lots of action over the heart of the plate.

I dont think Bud is long for the rotation, but tonight we celebrate a W.

I have been out of the country in the middle of nowhere in South America on a medical mission for the past 3 1/2 weeks. Just got back today and was very very happy to see the O's go and get Bud Norris.

Norris is a guy who I really believe will blossom with a good defense and legit offense. He is not a TOR by any stretch but he is a guy who is going to log innings, not beat himself and give himself a chance win. Guys like that can exceed expectations on a team that plays the caliber of D we play and the number of runs we can produce. Great pick up for a price that was very reasonable.

Was not as hot about giving up Delmonico for Rodriguez but I get why DD would want some BP insurance.

Archived