TT: Buck needs to make a decision on Brian Roberts

Tony-OH

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get that B-Rob isn't what B-Rob was at one time.

I don't buy that the FO is pushing Buck to play B-Rob.

I think Buck wants to win, and Buck believes his best chance is with B-Rob.

No matter how metrics are posted and what they say, for now, B-Rob is getting penciled into the lineup for every day he isn't away on paternity leave.

Right, but that doesn't mean its the right decision.

Roberts has put up a .576 OPS since 2011. Only Orlando Cabrera has been given more at bats as a second baseman (477 all in 2011) and put up a lower OPS (.573) during this time. Brian Roberts is literally the worse producing second baseman since 2011 and he's not making it up with his speed or defense any longer. Orlando Cabrera is out of baseball.

Look, I don't have any personal take in this at all. I just think people don't realize how bad Brian Roberts has become and why there is little reason to believe he's going to suddenly become a better baseball player at this stage in his career.

No one that supports Roberts playing every day has answered my previous question. If Brian Roberts was a free agent, would you have signed him to play second base for us every day during this playoff run?

I don't think playing Roberts or not playing Roberts is the difference between winning and losing. Flaherty had all season to show something. He showed a little something a lot too late. Schoop is the future but I'm not sure he's the present. I agree that Flaherty is better defensively but despite the numbers, I think Roberts is the tougher out in the lineup. I don't think it's a huge difference although I prefer Flaherty over Roberts and suspect that Flaherty or Schoop will start next season at 2B.

The O's are looking at the second WC right now. One game in the standing could very well be the difference between playoffs and vacation. Doesn't it behoove the O's to put the best team out there?

Right, but that doesn't mean its the right decision.

Roberts has put up a .576 OPS since 2011. Only Orlando Cabrera has been given more at bats as a second baseman (477 all in 2011) and put up a lower OPS (.573) during this time. Brian Roberts is literally the worse producing second baseman since 2011 and he's not making it up with his speed or defense any longer. Orlando Cabrera is out of baseball.

Your article makes a strong case. I will give you that.

Buck is far from stupid, hopefully one of the beat reporters can question him, it would be interested to hear his thoughts on this.

Roberts really hasn't hit well since 2010, when he had a .354 OBP in roughly 350 PA's. So his struggles right now aren't a surprise. The surprise is that he's been playing exclusively in place of better defensive 2B's. We all know his salary is whats forcing the issue.

Roberts really hasn't hit well since 2010, when he had a .354 OBP in roughly 350 PA's. So his struggles right now aren't a surprise. The surprise is that he's been playing exclusively in place of better defensive 2B's. We all know his salary is whats forcing the issue.

I dont buy this is a salary driven reason.

They have to pay the salary, regardless of what happens on the field and who plays.

I don't think playing Roberts or not playing Roberts is the difference between winning and losing. Flaherty had all season to show something. He showed a little something a lot too late. Schoop is the future but I'm not sure he's the present. I agree that Flaherty is better defensively but despite the numbers, I think Roberts is the tougher out in the lineup. I don't think it's a huge difference although I prefer Flaherty over Roberts and suspect that Flaherty or Schoop will start next season at 2B.

Flaherty over his last 37 games in the big leagues this year covering 112 PAs: .286/.330/.457/.787. It was more than a hot week.

Yeah I mean. Man on 3B, less than 2 outs. 9th inning, down a run.

If you're not taking Brian Roberts in that situation over Ryan Flaherty....

Then pinch hit for him. In fact, if he's as good as a few of you think he is with runners in scoring position, wouldn't he make a good PH late in games?

It does, but again I think the difference is small and I'll give Buck the benefit of the doubt. I watched Flaherty hit all year. He was terrible up until the week Roberts was coming back. He was also an easy out against anyone who could throw offspeed stuff. In a big spot, I'll go with Roberts over Flaherty at the plate. On defense, I haven't seen Roberts have a problem in the DP. Maybe there are a few balls that Flaherty could have gotten to that he didn't. So, I give Buck the benefit of the doubt on a close call.

From May 9th until Brian Roberts returned and Flaherty was sent to the bench to rot, he hit .295/.343/.484/.827 in 102 PAs. If that's terrible, I'll take terrible all year. Flaherty had a brutal start and then figured some things out. Roberts came back and Buck choose him over the better player. I wonder how many games we have lost because of this switch? I notice you won't answer my question though, would you have signed Brian Roberts as a free agent to play over Flaherty when Flaherty was putting up those numbers?

Archived