Anyone Ever Notice Besides Me That Nick Markakis Never Gets "Pied"?

Old#5fan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was once pied as a birthday prank. I didn't enjoy it very much. Like Markakis, I have a tendency to be serious, especially in public or in groups.

I am completely sympathetic with Nick's desire not to be hit in the face (with a pie).

What gets me is "why does it bug some people how he (or any other player) acts?" I mean, is it because we expect them to be having fun because it's all a game and entertainment and all that? I mean, I get that, but its one of the only vocations where if a person of a more reserved nature is around, that is sometimes taken as a negative (not sure if it was really the case, but in the 61 movie its one of the ways sportswriters and fans berated Roger Maris).

I dunno, just seems weird to me, I don't bug my friend, who's very much like Markakis in demeanor, about it unless he's being a direct buzz kill. And even then it's just good natured ribbing.

What gets me is "why does it bug some people how he (or any other player) acts?" I mean, is it because we expect them to be having fun because it's all a game and entertainment and all that? I mean, I get that, but its one of the only vocations where if a person of a more reserved nature is around, that is sometimes taken as a negative (not sure if it was really the case, but in the 61 movie its one of the ways sportswriters and fans berated Roger Maris).

I dunno, just seems weird to me, I don't bug my friend, who's very much like Markakis in demeanor, about it unless he's being a direct buzz kill. And even then it's just good natured ribbing.

Because it's Markakis. I wish Afam Jones would do something of late worthy of his own pie treatment.

Actually a bakery offered to give them two pies per game.

That is why they now use real pies.

When asked about it before Jones mentioned that the shaving cream was free.

Right, right, I knew that. Both about being given the pies, and Jones' comment. But the thing about it being painful is what brought about the bakery offering them (plus the publicity of course). I just sort of cut out the 3 steps in the middle. ;)

Right, right, I knew that. Both about being given the pies, and Jones' comment. But the thing about it being painful is what brought about the bakery offering them (plus the publicity of course). I just sort of cut out the 3 steps in the middle. ;)

As if #StayHungry was going to turn down free pie.

Because it's Markakis. I wish Afam Jones would do something of late worthy of his own pie treatment.

Oh, you mean it's another way to rag on him when he's slumping or perceptually under-performing? I was kinda wondering about it in general, not in specific, but okay.

Oh, you mean it's another way to rag on him when he's slumping or perceptually under-performing? I was kinda wondering about it in general, not in specific, but okay.

I was kinda being general. Why else would it really bother anyone that a player doesn't want a pie slammed in his face?

Wow, I made this thread and thought it would get a handful of posts and am shocked that it is now several pages when coming back to it on the OH.

I don't know why you'd be shocked! I'm sure over your lifetime you've made threads that were several pages and months long! ;)

Archived