Adam Jones continues to have some of the most absurd ABs of all time

MachadOboutManny

I find it funny that MASN keeps advertising the "win a hitting session with Adam Jones." I bet most fans on the OH could actually teach Adam a thing or two :D.

The only thing holding Adam Jones back from being a superstar is Adam himself. I can't recall watching a more frustrating and stubborn player. He is a great player as is but with even average plate discipline he would be an elite player.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it funny that MASN keeps advertising the "win a hitting session with Adam Jones." I bet most fans on the OH could actually teach Adam a thing or two :D.

The only thing holding Adam Jones back from being a superstar is Adam himself. I can't recall watching a more frustrating and stubborn player. He is a great player as is but with even average plate discipline he would be an elite player.

It has nothing to do with being stubborn. You think Jones recognizes that it is a slider and that it will be in the dirt and just thinks, "Oh what the hell"? Adam Jones is a very good hitter but like every hitter has certain weaknesses that at times can be exploited.

Jones' limitations get picked apart on this site more than any other player. Over the last week, Chris Davis has 4 hits and 3 homers. Over the last 3 weeks he's hitting just over the Mendoza line. You think maybe that has something to do with his approach? But we don't have threads calling his at bats the worst in the history of baseball or suggesting that it is a personality flaw.

He also smoked a double that would have been a HR if he got any elevation.

Jones is what he is. He'll have his ABs where you shake your head, and he'll have his 3-for-4 with 2 XBH games. Still a damn valuable player.

He also smoked a double that would have been a HR if he got any elevation.

Jones is what he is. He'll have his ABs where you shake your head, and he'll have his 3-for-4 with 2 XBH games. Still a damn valuable player.

He, like any player is swinging at bad pitches because the team overall is "pressing" right now. I truly think the signs are all there that they are feeling the pressure this season of a pennant race and even Buck is impacted by it. Last season, there really wasn't any pressure as nobody thought they would make it anyway and even if they didn't the season would still be a tremendous sucess. Not so this year, as it is totally the opposite.

He, like any player is swinging at bad pitches because the team overall is "pressing" right now. I truly think the signs are all there that they are feeling the pressure this season of a pennant race and even Buck is impacted by it. Last season, there really wasn't any pressure as nobody thought they would make it anyway and even if they didn't the season would still be a tremendous sucess. Not so this year, as it is totally the opposite.

But Jones always has been prone to swinging at bad pitches. It just comes with the package. He's a very good player with some very bad habits.

A few Jones facts:

- He's hitting .402/.429/.586 in high leverage situations

- He's hitting .310/.338/.460 with runners in scoring position

Yeah, those strikeouts on bad pitches are frustrating, but it's not like he doesn't get the job done a reasonable percentage of the time.

It has nothing to do with being stubborn. You think Jones recognizes that it is a slider and that it will be in the dirt and just thinks, "Oh what the hell"? Adam Jones is a very good hitter but like every hitter has certain weaknesses that at times can be exploited.

Fans have their weaknesses, too. When they're frustrated they often confuse a player's physical performance and reactions and perhaps mental in-game discipline with larger character flaws and laziness.

People also often forget that MLB is very hard, and involves extremely good baseball players trying extremely hard to make other extremely good baseball players fail.

I like Jones as a hitter

I like Jones as a CF'er (great arm)

He would be a better player if he recognized that pitchers are not going to throw him a strike at 0-2, 1-2, and just took the pitch. Try Adam.. you can do it!!!!

Even major league pitchers miss their spots and sometimes throw a hanging slider over the middle of the plate on 0-2. And major league pitchers are quick to pick up on trends, and if Jones just started taking all two strike pitches he'd get K'd looking much more often. And just wait for the avalanche of criticism then, since striking out looking is possibly the worst of all sins to a fanbase.

Adam is definitely the most frustrating guy on this team to watch at the plate. I still get mad when i see him swinging at pitches in the dirt, but I've learned to accept that it's gonna happen with him. He's probably my favorite player on the team because he's a guy that runs out every ball put in play and he's gotten quite a few infield hits doing so in key situations. Everyone expects so much of him because he's one of the highest paid players on the team but when you look at the numbers he is more clutch than most of this fanbase suggests. His failures stand out because we expect so much of him. Would I like to see him lay off more pitches? Definitely, but he's one of the most exciting guys to watch on this team so I can deal with it.

He is my favorite player but boy is he frustrating to watch when he's struggling at the plate. He might see one strike in at bat. When he stays disciplined and starts looking for walks (as he seemed to be doing a couple weeks ago), he is a totally different hitter.

No one is saying anything he doesn't know or hasn't been told a thousand times. Clearly, it is easier than it looks to be a selective hitter.

Adam is what he is... he's a swinger, not a hitter.

There have been plenty of guys that have come through the Bigs like this before, and there'll be plenty more in the future. Guy has a ton of talent, and the team would be lost without him.

Lately we've been struggling, so things like his aggressiveness get highlighted.

Jones is just going to always be that player that prompts the question..."How good or great could he really have been?"

Imagine if he ever could make himself wait for his pitch...wow

I can only imagine how annoying it is to be the 103rd-best player in the world, out of millions of people who play baseball, and have everyone constantly ask how good you could have been if only you did X, Y, and Z.

Archived