Adam Jones continues to have some of the most absurd ABs of all time

MachadOboutManny

I can only imagine how annoying it is to be the 103rd-best player in the world, out of millions of people who play baseball, and have everyone constantly ask how good you could have been if only you did X, Y, and Z.

Everyone is making this sound so generic. Yes, every player, no matter how good is always questioned by fans and media. The reason there's even more outpour with Adam is because his mistakes truly appear correctable. He swings at pitches that land in the opposite batter's box and are essentially wild pitches on a regular basis. He regularly has 3 pitch ABs end in Ks because he is clearly out of focus on the task at hand. He CAN improve on these things, perhaps even dramatically so. There is real, tangible reasons that we can see that he could improve on. Again, this is true for all players, but it's much more clear here.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone is making this sound so generic. Yes, every player, no matter how good is always questioned by fans and media. The reason there's even more outpour with Adam is because his mistakes truly appear correctable. He swings at pitches that land in the opposite batter's box and are essentially wild pitches on a regular basis. He regularly has 3 pitch ABs end in Ks because he is clearly out of focus on the task at hand. He CAN improve on these things, perhaps even dramatically so. There is real, tangible reasons that we can see that he could improve on. Again, this is true for all players, but it's much more clear here.

I am sure hitting is harder you may think. You look at it from the TV or stands. I

sure would hate to have to face any pitcher. I heard Cal on a TV

I can only imagine how annoying it is to be the 103rd-best player in the world, out of millions of people who play baseball, and have everyone constantly ask how good you could have been if only you did X, Y, and Z.

I can only imagine how annoying it is to have to put up with all that for a mere $8.5 million (this year). I pity the guy. :newcry:

I am sure hitting is harder you may think. You look at it from the TV or stands. I

sure would hate to have to face any pitcher. I heard Cal on a TV

program talking about hitting. That if you get only three hits out of ten you

your average is .300. Fans always want the player to do

better. Maybe we as fans will never be satisfied.

program talking about hitting. That if you get only three hits out of ten you

your average is .300. Fans always want the player to do

better. Maybe we as fans will never be satisfied.

3 out of 10 for above average

2.5 out of 10 for average

2 out of 10 = Mendoza Line

Looking at it that way, not a lot of difference between mediocre and outstanding. :)

We all know Jones is a great player. It's just frustrating because he could be better with a few simple adjustments. Some players simply don't have the talent. Jones does.

Currently his career numbers stack up against someone like Mike Cameron. I'm just hoping he becomes the player he is capable of becoming.

We all know Jones is a great player. It's just frustrating because he could be better with a few simple adjustments. Some players simply don't have the talent. Jones does.

Currently his career numbers stack up against someone like Mike Cameron. I'm just hoping he becomes the player he is capable of becoming.

I don't think this is true. I think the frustration comes from the fact that Adam Jones could be a great player, but is merely a good player because of one glaring flaw that he hasn't made progress in for whatever reason.

This is where I completely disagree. I don't think he has the talent, mostly the physical ability, the hand-eye coordination and eyesight, etc, to discern a ball down the middle from an outside slider with any consistency. He has a ton of other skills that are off the chart, but it's not "a few simple adjustments." I think it's totally ridiculous to think that he could be among the very best players in the world, if not for refusing to make a few simple adjustments.

3 out of 10 for above average

2.5 out of 10 for average

2 out of 10 = Mendoza Line

Looking at it that way, not a lot of difference between mediocre and outstanding. :)

Based on 600 AB's the difference between batting .300 and .250 is 30 hits over a 6 month period, or about 1.167 hits per week. The difference between .300 and 320 is only 12 hits. Just saying, looking at BA by itself, doesn't say a whole lot.

If Hardy hits .250 and saves one hit a week on defense, it certainly says a lot more.

This is where I completely disagree. I don't think he has the talent, mostly the physical ability, the hand-eye coordination and eyesight, etc, to discern a ball down the middle from an outside slider with any consistency. He has a ton of other skills that are off the chart, but it's not "a few simple adjustments." I think it's totally ridiculous to think that he could be among the very best players in the world, if not for refusing to make a few simple adjustments.

I agree, if it truly was, just the matter of a few simple adjustments, don't you think he would have already made those changes??????????????

I don't think this is true. I think the frustration comes from the fact that Adam Jones could be a great player, but is merely a good player because of one glaring flaw that he hasn't made progress in for whatever reason.

I hate the idea that so-and-so "should" or "could" be a great player if only they'd fix this one thing. If only Cal had hit .320 every year he'd be the greatest player who ever lived. If only Alan Trammell had hit 30 homers a year he'd be a shoo-in in Cooperstown. If only Strop would make a little mechanical adjustment and stick with it he'd throw strikes and be Mariano Rivera.

There is no could or should, there just is. I'll never assume that a guy playing MLB is ignoring advice and pretending he doesn't have an obvious flaw because of whatever, it's almost always that he's unable to correct what's wrong.

I agree, if it truly was, just the matter of a few simple adjustments, don't you think he would have already made those changes??????????????

If Adam Jones had just tweaked a couple of totally obvious things and turned into a guy with Adam Dunn's plate discipline his extension wouldn't have come at all, because he'd be lining up for a $150M+ payday from some team with a bigger checkbook.

I hate the idea that so-and-so "should" or "could" be a great player if only they'd fix this one thing. If only Cal had hit .320 every year he'd be the greatest player who ever lived. If only Alan Trammell had hit 30 homers a year he'd be a shoo-in in Cooperstown. If only Strop would make a little mechanical adjustment and stick with it he'd throw strikes and be Mariano Rivera.

There is no could or should, there just is. I'll never assume that a guy playing MLB is ignoring advice and pretending he doesn't have an obvious flaw because of whatever, it's almost always that he's unable to correct what's wrong.

DC had a sportscaster name of Glen Benner (decreased).

He was a Phillies prospect, could throw hard and fast, but no control.

His minor league manager came out to him in the middle of a game, after he walked three men to load the bases.

The manager said, "just throw strikes."

Of course, Glen's response was, "Damn, ifs that all I have to do, why didnt you tell me this earlier? Hell Skip, if I could throw strikes, I would be up on the big club, and not down here listening to this crap."

Of course, he said, he got a small suspension for it.

Archived