Adam Jones voted 2d best defensive outfielder in the AL by AL Managers

wildcard

Why don't you try and focus on the topic instead of throwing out meaningless rhetoric. Nobody hates Jones and the overwhelming majority are glad to have him.

I am guessing all the topics about how bad he bats and how bad he feels makes me feel like most people don't appreciate him. He is a better player than Machado right now. But the way the guys are treated on here is night and day.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am guessing all the topics about how bad he bats and how bad he feels makes me feel like most people don't appreciate him. He is a better player than Machado right now. But the way the guys are treated on here is night and day.

That's pretty easy to explain. There are plenty of threads complaining about Machado's discipline so far, but he is young. The consensus is he can improve. Adam's approach has not improved and has arguably regressed while being a veteran.

Seriously, who cares who the managers think are the best players? Adam Jones is a fine player, I'm glad he's an Oriole, but I don't care if the managers think he's a great defensive player. Not every manager is going to completely embrace statistics and manage by a book that a bunch of mathematicians came up with using computer simulations. In fact, none of them do. Maybe in another 25 years or so, we won't need managers or umpires. I'm for the use of advanced metrics, but it gets annoying listening to people rant here because others don't just blindly follow what the math guys tell them to.

That's pretty easy to explain. There are plenty of threads complaining about Machado's discipline so far, but he is young. The consensus is he can improve. Adam's approach has not improved and has arguably regressed while being a veteran.

It seems to be working for Adam. Looks like he will have another 30 double and 30 home run season with a high average. Also drives in and scores a lot of runs. OPS over .830 while playing center field. He was a starter on the all star team and has won gold gloves and managers seem love him and is the team leader. He is the team's star and is just going into his prime.

He isn't Willie Mays but who is?

It seems to be working for Adam. Looks like he will have another 30 double and 30 home run season with a high average. Also drives in and scores a lot of runs. OPS over .830 while playing center field. He was a starter on the all star team and has won gold gloves and managers seem love him and is the team leader. He is the team's star and is just going into his prime.

Ken Griffey Jr, might have come close, before his body gave out. :)

I had an uncle who grew up in Frisco and said Willie was hands down the best player he ever saw play the game. Considering how many greats there were in those days, that was really saying something.

I Seriously, who cares who the managers think are the best players? Adam Jones is a fine player, I'm glad he's an Oriole, but I don't care if the managers think he's a great defensive player. Not every manager is going to completely embrace statistics and manage by a book that a bunch of mathematicians came up with using computer simulations. In fact, none of them do. Maybe in another 25 years or so, we won't need managers or umpires. I'm for the use of advanced metrics, but it gets annoying listening to people rant here because others don't just blindly follow what the math guys tell them to.

I don't even think defensive metrics for outfielders are accurate. Who is the best rated center fielder in the American League for the past 5 years?

The angst toward Jones stems from the thought many have that he could be even better. He's an All-Star player and one of the best outfielders in the league, but if he could lay off the low and away slider and command the strike zone a bit better, he could be even better offensively. Imagine pitchers knowing that they HAVE to throw the ball over the plate otherwise he'll be standing on 1B with a walk. That would give him better pitches to hit and could lead to even more HR, doubles, etc.

Perhaps Jones is who he is and cannot change or improve upon his weaknesses. If that's the case, that's fine, he's still a very good player, but the people that critique him generally are those that believe he's a very good player, but could be a GREAT one!

I don't even think defensive metrics for outfielders are accurate. Who is the best rated center fielder in the American League for the past 5 years?

Defensive metrics are terrible, particularly for outfielders. They don't tell the whole story that is for sure. My eyes tell me that a completely focused Adam Jones is a very good defensive player. I've seen stretches where he's been in a defensive slump and, is below average, but for the most part he's very good, not great, but better than most.

Pretty amazing that Jones has this reputation around the AL with managers. He's been pretty solid these past few months. I like the good defensive Jones much better than the poor one we were stuck with at the beginning of the year.

Pretty amazing that Jones has this reputation around the AL with managers. He's been pretty solid these past few months. I like the good defensive Jones much better than the poor one we were stuck with at the beginning of the year.

Same story with Wieters, some of our own players have a better reputation among the AL and their peers, than with some of the OH Fans.

I Seriously, who cares who the managers think are the best players? Adam Jones is a fine player, I'm glad he's an Oriole, but I don't care if the managers think he's a great defensive player. Not every manager is going to completely embrace statistics and manage by a book that a bunch of mathematicians came up with using computer simulations. In fact, none of them do. Maybe in another 25 years or so, we won't need managers or umpires. I'm for the use of advanced metrics, but it gets annoying listening to people rant here because others don't just blindly follow what the math guys tell them to.

What's the point then? You don't care about the subject and it shouldn't be discussed? Analytical opinions are shoving an opinion down somebody's throat (because you don't like them I guess in this case) and non-analytical opinions aren't?

So when a player is good we aren't allowed to discuss how he could be better? What are we doing here then?

So when a player is good we aren't allowed to discuss how he could be better? What are we doing here then?

There are many many posts that have nothing to do with how good he could be were he to tweak x and change y and you know that. There are numerous Lamentations of what he is that in no way touch on what he could be.

Archived