Espn 1000: Roberts talks are off

JimboHendry

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN 1000 had Bruce Levine on, and said taht the trade talks with Baltimore are OFF

He said the Cubs are looking to acquire Marlon Byrd from the Rangers to platoon with Pie in CF.

He also said the Cubs are really trying to sign Jon Leiber.

As a Cubs fan, I must say I'm very disappointed in the turn of events with the Orioles. We went from a finalized trade to a complete fall out. Terrible.

I guarantee talks aren't completely dead, they never are.

I like a deal with the Rockies or Indians more anyway. Gallagher, Marshall, Cedeno was probably enough to pull the trigger, but deals like that will be available for Roberts through the deadline. No big loss. If we turned down something including Murton on top of that, then I think thats a mistake.

If true, then AM must feel he has a better deal on the table from another team (probably Indians). AM and Hendry are close, so I'm sure AM has given the Cubs a chance to up their offer, and the Cubs have decided not to. BR will go to the top bidder -- which doesn't appear to be the Cubs.

I was worried this may happen, especially with everything that has happened as of late... hopefully, AM has another trick up his sleeve and we can keep going with the rebuilding. And if not, we always have the trade deadline and next offseason to get things done.

I guarantee talks aren't completely dead, they never are.

I like a deal with the Rockies or Indians more anyway. Gallagher, Marshall, Cedeno was probably enough to pull the trigger, but deals like that will be available for Roberts through the deadline. No big loss. If we turned down something including Murton on top of that, then I think thats a mistake.

I completely concur.

If true, then AM must feel he has a better deal on the table from another team (probably Indians). AM and Hendry are close, so I'm sure AM has given the Cubs a chance to up their offer, and the Cubs have decided not to. BR will go to the top bidder -- which doesn't appear to be the Cubs.

Or Hendry got fed up with the outrageous demands of Angelos. I would go with my theory over yours, no offense.

Wednesday, MacPhail shakes hands with Hendry on Gallagher-Marshall-Cedeno and takes the deal to Angelos.

Thursday, Angelos informs MacPhail, "Not without Pie." MacPhail passes this demand on to Cubs.

Friday, Cubs stop laughing their asses off long enough to tell MacPhail, "We're outa here."

Saturday morning, Levine hears from Cubs reports the deal is off.

If the deal really doesn't happen, please don't try to tell me that the above sequence is not the most likely explanation.

Archived