Espn 1000: Roberts talks are off

JimboHendry

It makes no sense for Mcphail to eliminate the cubs, even if he had a better offer on the table from the Indians. You don't eliminate the competition. You play them against one another as quietly as possible. The only reason you tell the cubs "no" is if you've accepted another deal. So unless we have another deal "done", this makes no sense unless Roberts has been pulled back. And at this late date, what's the deal about Bedard going first. After 6 weeks of this stuff, you'd think they would have come up with a way for that not to be the Sticking point. I smell Angelos, but hope I'm wrong.

I don't believe Mcphail would want to eliminate the Cubs..... The Cubs may be jockeying by using the media. But they may believe they cant get him for a price they want to pay...Value aside of course!:D

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest oriofan8
Much as I hate to say this I am starting to think BigBird should be banned as a troll and trouble maker. I don't think there is one person who post here that I belive less.

....This is almost comical !!! Stress-level overload is my diagnosis. I prescribe ice-cold beer in multiples of six....and don't stop til you see how ridiculous this all is. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

....This is almost comical !!! Stress-level overload is my diagnosis. I prescribe ice-cold beer in multiples of six....and don't stop til you see how ridiculous this all is. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dude Get a grip.... Find someone else to rip on!

Also I find this rumor absurd!

Brian Roberts Deal Dead?

A trusted emailer wrote in to tell me about a report today from Bruce Levine of ESPN Radio 1000. According to Levine, Brian Roberts is no longer available. The Orioles were apparently asking for Tyler Colvin or Felix Pie plus multiple pitchers, and the Cubs wouldn't do it.

Levine says the Cubs may turn their attention to the Rangers' Marlon Byrd or free agent Jon Lieber.

The Orioles took him off the deal ... Yeah right! Sounds like lousy speculation to me!

Much as I hate to say this I am starting to think BigBird should be banned as a troll and trouble maker. I don't think there is one person who post here that I belive less.

I hope you aren't as selfish in the other parts of your life as this comment makes you sound here. If you feel that strongly about a poster, select IGNORE and problem solved. Wanting everyone else here to have to conform to your opinion, well, as I said, that's quite a self-centered position.

To stay on topic... I'm glad the talks are off, I didn't like the deal anyway.

My only wish is the BB would simply bother to clarify what he means. My only problem is that he seems overly cryptic and ambiguous... problems that just an extra sentence would usually fix...

Problem is, sometimes that extra sentence is what can't be said...I see your point though and it is valid but people have to understand these guys have to be somewhat cryptic with things because of the nature of the beast.

End of the day, they always say take it for what its worth or things like that....People need to do just that.

To be fair, what has he been right about?

Pretty much everything that happened under Duquette and before that, he was right probbaly somewhere between 35-50% of the time.

You guys forget about a player move here and there and things like that. You only focus on a few majors things that don't happen and cry about it.

It is a lot more annoying than when they get things wrong and it is also why it was hilarious that Peace, BB and Belkast did what they did last month.

Three comments frrom Roch's blog:

Sources report that the Cubs trade was finalized but Angelos killed it at the last second. Reports differ as to whether paperwork made it to MLB. The Cubs are no longer discussing a Roberts trade. Sounds to me Roch like you need to do a little research instead of just accepting the pablum the front office feeds to you.

Posted by: Dave | January 12, 2008 4:59

Are these the same sources that had Roberts traded to the Cubs a month ago? And had the Orioles preparing to announce a trade earlier this week? And had the 3 players from the Cubs wrong?

Posted by: Roch Kubatko | January 12, 2008 6:49 PM

Supposedly two of the "wrong players" were told by their agents the deal was complete. Maybe you should talk to the agents.

Posted by: Dave | January 12, 2008 7:04 PM

No insider told us about the Roberson deal. This offseason, I'm fairly sure, Peace was the only one who told us what was going to happen and that was with the Tejada deal. Mad props to Peace for that! But name one other transaction that was called this offseason by an insider ... ?

No insider told us about the Roberson deal. This offseason, I'm fairly sure, Peace was the only one who told us what was going to happen and that was with the Tejada deal. Mad props to Peace for that! But name one other transaction that was called this offseason by an insider ... ?

The Roberts trade...oh wait ;)

..... nothing else has happened besides those two transactions.

Archived