Why no talk of firing Presley?

JTrea81

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Besides, being in the "middle of the pack"statistically isnt near good enough. Just because its not "awful" doesnt make "middle of the pack" good.

You seem to have trouble defining "middle of the pack."

I'll give you a hint: middle of the pack isn't 3rd out of 15.

What would this place be without Trea? It would be like Cheers without Cliff Clavin.

I think the answer to the OP's question is quite simple: Why is there no talk about firing Presley? Because it's a moronic suggestion that is far below the median intelligence level, and - by definition- occurs to only a "select" few.

Absurd...the Nationals fired their hitting coach because they were 28th in runs scored with 428 runs. We are 4th in the league with 546 runs scored. Just absurd.

This. The O's offense is one of the best in baseball. The idea of firing Presley is asinine.

When you have instruction like this, there's no wonder why your bats are going cold with RISP nor getting on base:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/07/os-jim-presley-on-the-hitters-approach-and-working-counts.html

That was Presley after the Orioles' win on July 11th.

The Orioles in July hit .240/.293/.389/.681 as a team.

Their OBP was the second worst in baseball that month. This month they've rebounded to a .777 OPS, but their OBP continues to be dismal at .315, good enough for only 20th in MLB.

To have a hitting coach recommend not changing your approach when your approach has failed for a month is not somebody you want advising your hitters.

OBP and RISP have plagued this club since Presley's arrival with Showalter. The bats have power, but if there is no power, this club can't get on base to manufacture runs, and when some power does show up - it's in the form of a solo HR. Solo HRs are great, but not so great when you have 3-4 runs to make up and not a lot of time to do it in.

The Orioles have won an overwhelming majority of their games when they score 4 runs or more. And the opposite is true as they've lost an overwhelming number of games when they score less than 4 runs with an example of today's start.

Our pitching staff is not good enough to win games with only 1-3 runs of support, and that falls on Jim Presley to take advantage of that power by make sure the hitters are putting ducks on the pond and staying selective enough to get the mistake pitch to cash the runners in.

I'm not sure if this trend of poor OBP and not hitting with RISP will continue, but if it does and the Orioles miss the playoffs as a result, one of the first things that needs to happen is the hitting coach needs to be replaced. Presley isn't Crowley - with a long standing organizational tie, and plenty of teams have fired hitting coaches with positive results, the most recent example being the Kansas City Royals.

I'd love to see him replaced right now to try to turn this offense around, but I don't see that happening.

What we do know is that the Orioles approach at the plate is holding them back, and they have far too many bats that can do damage to not get enough men on base. And because of that poor OBP, they have to cash in the runs when they have the opportunity. A single or double can work just as well as the HR.

It's Jim Presley's job to coach the hitters for success and so far he's not doing it and the Orioles have too much at stake to let that happen.

I really don't know if that is the answer. JTrea if the O's had won yesterday would

you have posted this? Now the team does have problems with RISP not scoring

them but isn't that more on the player than a coach? When Davis has 42 HR's

and over 100 RBI's it may not be Presley that is the problem.

What would this place be without Trea? It would be like Cheers without Cliff Clavin.

I think the answer to the OP's question is quite simple: Why is there no talk about firing Presley? Because it's a moronic suggestion that is far below the median intelligence level, and - by definition- occurs to only a "select" few.

Believe it or not, it works well no matter which of us show up.

This. The O's offense is one of the best in baseball. The idea of firing Presley is asinine.

And Davis had a slump. And Manny had a slump and Nick had a slump. If anyone thinks getting rid of Jim Presley would make them happy and hit better, they don't know real players and real baseball.

If Trea were GM of the O's, he'd make Vinny Cerrato look like Ozzie Newsome.

Gordo's right, we don't have the perfect mix of players. That's what we need to improve, better players at a couple of spots. Otherwise, it's about continuing to work through the predictable highs and lows that are likely exacerbated by the lack of amphetamines over 162 games.

Pressley didn't just start sucking all the sudden. That's not how things work.

And Davis had a slump. And Manny had a slump and Nick had a slump. If anyone thinks getting rid of Jim Presley would make them happy and hit better, they don't know real players and real baseball.

Coaches get all the blame and none of the credit.

The offense is the only reason that the O's are in contention for a wild card. The pitching staff is one of the worst in baseball by some measures and pretty bad to terrible by all other measures. God only knows what runs allowed would look like if the O's defense wasn't very good. The expectations for the offense by some posters are ridiculously high.

By the way, since most of the outrageous posts in this thread are based on small sample sizes, you small sample size guys should look at how Machado is hitting in August. He's tearing it up.

Coaches get all the blame and none of the credit.

The offense is the only reason that the O's are in contention for a wild card. The pitching staff is one of the worst in baseball by some measures and pretty bad to terrible by all other measures. God only knows what runs allowed would look like if the O's defense wasn't very good. The expectations for the offense by some posters are ridiculously high.

By the way, since most of the outrageous posts in this thread are based on small sample sizes, you small sample size guys should look at how Machado is hitting in August. He's tearing it up.

Outrageous statements usually get the most conversation.

All I know is what Duquette wants for an offense and how Presley instructs are the exact opposite.

Somebody's going to win out on their philosophy, and it usually isn't the hitting coach and of all the coaches, the hitting coach is usuallly the first to go when you want to change things up.

Like I said, I don't see it happening in season, but next offseason, if RISP and OBP with P/PA are still an issue not only will Duquette have to change out some players, but he will have to change the instruction as well.

Archived