Why no talk of firing Presley?

JTrea81

Has there been a period of time in your memory when folks unironically said "He (meaning Oriole player) is walking too much?" Even Cal in '88 only had 102 walks.

No. Not ever. But then we had Crowley for 100 years.

And we have not been a traditional speed team where walks are particularly effective for a long time either.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In fact a good hitting coach would probably help the slumping Orioles by helping them get back to what they were doing when they were not slumping. Even if it meant being aggressive. And not walking as much. I know. That is blasphemy.

Get Back to where they once belonged.

Let me get this straight. The O's are 4th in runs scored, but many in this thread apparently aren't satisfied with that.

Presley may need to be fired because the O's aren't leading a 30 team league in runs.... The gall a coach has to be leading one of the best offenses in the league.

Let me get this straight. The O's are 4th in runs scored, but many in this thread apparently aren't satisfied with that.

Presley may need to be fired because the O's aren't leading a 30 team league in runs.... The gall a coach has to be leading one of the best offenses in the league.

For you to act astonished at the irrational thinking of anybody else is inadvertently hilarious.

The question is will he? You can never know about anybody until they duplicate success or get hot again because then it becomes a pattern. Some guys never do get real hot more than once in the MLB.

It's through no fault of his own because the guy has only played like 160 games, but who knows if he's able to get real locked in again.

That's paranoia, in my opinion. He's 21. Did you honestly think he was going to keep hitting all year the way he did in May and June? What happened was that Machado became very successful by being aggressive, and by July and now August it's hurt him because he's chasing too much. But the last week or so I feel he's made some improvements there, and is getting back to where he needs to be. I'm not worried about Machado.

Well, they were first in runs scored at one point, meaning three teams have passed them. That doesn't mean Presley needs to be fired, but isn't number one preferable to any other ranking? This team does have weaknesses at the plate - pointing them out, and looking for a way to improve them is somehow a bad thing?

Some suggestions will be more extreme than others, but isn't that the purpose of a message board - to talk about such things? Or is it just to say, "All is well?" Yes, this O's team is much better than the garbage we suffered with for 14 seasons, and many other seasons between 1983 and 1996, but they're still not leading their division, which means they could be even better. Isn't that what we all want?

IIRC, every O's team led the league in runs as well as ERA, save for the 1983 team, which was first in ERA and fourth in runs. Being number one is good.

Under acheiving teams change hitting coaches during the season. It seems to have worked for the Royals, while the Nationals have continued to struggle since Eckstein has been let go. The Orioles are in the thick of a pennant race and I do not see a good reason to make a change. As far as Presley not changing the hitter's routine. I agree with it. To change the routine would be a a panic move. That's a move that a less confident coach would make.

This is the best offense the O's have had in years. We don't need to fire the hitting coach. However, I do think the offense needs more balance--we have too many guys whose strong suit is power and whose weak suit is OBP. And there are some dead bats on the roster that should be upgraded--the backup catcher comes to mind immediately.

Archived