What is the likely fate of the the three longest tenured Orioles for next season?

Gurgi

Payroll is closer to $96M with mid-season acquisitions. There will be significant arbitration raises this season. That $35M will go fast.

Wonder what Chris Davis, Chris Tillman will get? Wonder if we could back load some extensions to help...sure DD will get creative if agents will have it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder what Chris Davis, Chris Tillman will get? Wonder if we could back load some extensions to help...sure DD will get creative if agents will have it.

Tillman isn't arbitration eligible.

But you have to figure Davis sees at least a $4M increase, Johnson a $2M, Wieters a $2M, Hunter a $1.5M, Norris a $2-3M, Matusz and Patton with $.5M each. Plus, Jones sees a $5M increase. O'Day has a $1M increase and Chen a $.5M. Right there is a $20M increase.

That leaves you with approximately $7-10M before payroll is freed up.

But you have to figure Davis sees at least a $4M increase, Johnson a $2M, Wieters a $2M, Hunter a $1.5M, Norris a $2-3M, Matusz and Patton with $.5M each. Plus, Jones sees a $5M increase. O'Day has a $1M increase and Chen a $.5M. Right there is a $20M increase.

So you think Davis makes about 7.3m next year? I was thinking 12-15m.

Is there a limit on arbitration numbers? I dont see Davis asking for a $7.3m salary next year. More like $17.3m.

Is there a limit on arbitration numbers? I dont see Davis asking for a $7.3m salary next year. More like $17.3m.

There isn't a limit, but there is a precedent for what players can ask for during each year of arbitration. A player also doesn't want to set their value too high in the off chance that it goes to arbitration and the team's number is selected because of the more rationality behind it. Granted I could see Davis getting close to $10M through arbitration but I would think DD signs him to a backloaded extension.

Thanks for the estimates - going to be tough to steer our way through the next few years. Not sure what that means for JJ, but certainly some tough decisions to make.

Yup Jim Johnson is making it easy just NON TENDER. I don't know what funnier the people that wanna pay him 8m or the people that think some team is gonna trade for him.

Yup Jim Johnson is making it easy just NON TENDER. I don't know what funnier the people that wanna pay him 8m or the people that think some team is gonna trade for him.

I don't think anyone on the board wants to pay him that much. Unfortunately, that isn't how vase all economics work.

I don't think anyone on the board wants to pay him that much. Unfortunately, that isn't how vase all economics work.

It's called Non Tender and be done with him.

• 5 months later...
Roberts - gone after 2013

Johnson - traded this offseason, salary reasons

Markakis - signed to another contract, personally negotiated by Angelos

Now if Markakis has a solid bounce back season you may be just correct about the Angelos negotiated contract.

Now if Markakis has a solid bounce back season you may be just correct about the Angelos negotiated contract.

Re Gurgi tating? ;)

weams conjectures that PA is aloof to his players - hardly knew JJ - and is permitting DD to do his thing. Markakis has some cachet in MLB for his veteranosity so I think he might be traded by DD even though Buck would have a hissy fit. :angryfire:

Archived