Cuban OF Dariel Alvarez is 2 for 2 on debut in GCL hitting a triple and HR

xian4

He even does requests!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Dariel Alvarez singled in first AB for Frederick.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">August 15, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice. Can I request a Puig impersonation next?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well well. Guess that bad swing is OK for now..

I'm happy that Alvarez is hitting well, but we're talking about an experienced 24 year old former Mexican Leaguer beating up GCL and A+ pitching. These games mean very, very little. Let's see if he can hit in Bowie or Norfolk, never mind the majors.

I'm happy that Alvarez is hitting well, but we're talking about an experienced 24 year old former Mexican Leaguer beating up GCL and A+ pitching. These games mean very, very little. Let's see if he can hit in Bowie or Norfolk, never mind the majors.

The GCL is obviously way below his talent level (though it's nice to know he at least has XBH power against inferior pitchers), but success at Frederick would at least be a little more meaningful, if only through the absence-of-a-negative factor - plus, he's a lot closer to the median age there. Yeah, it'd be nice to see him at Bowie or Norfolk (just going by age he should be at Norfolk), but Frederick is okay to get him adjusted to the US game with competition that he should be able to handle, but isn't necessarily a massive challenge.

The GCL is obviously way below his talent level (though it's nice to know he at least has XBH power against inferior pitchers), but success at Frederick would at least be a little more meaningful, if only through the absence-of-a-negative factor - plus, he's a lot closer to the median age there. Yeah, it'd be nice to see him at Bowie or Norfolk (just going by age he should be at Norfolk), but Frederick is okay to get him adjusted to the US game with competition that he should be able to handle, but isn't necessarily a massive challenge.

Oh, I'm not objecting to the decision to let him get his feet wet in the US by beating up lower-tier competition; in fact, I think it makes a lot of sense.

I'm just not going to get carried away and think this guy is going to be great because he's destroying the Carolina League. It is a good sign, and much better than the alternative.

Oh, I'm not objecting to the decision to let him get his feet wet in the US by beating up lower-tier competition; in fact, I think it makes a lot of sense.

I'm just not going to get carried away and think this guy is going to be great because he's destroying the Carolina League. It is a good sign, and much better than the alternative.

This is how I feel, not too excited but a lot better than not hitting so far.

I was the Keys game tonight but can't give too much of a scouting report. I was in the parking lot when he hit his HR in the 1rst. The place was a madhouse and I was there with my wife and kids and sister-in law and her kids. The food lines were long so I missed half the game. We left after the 8th and the Keys blew the lead in top of the 9th. He had a throwing error that inning but wound up making up for it with a double in the 9th and they came back and won. He looks in a SSS too good for that level. He didn't look like a real big guy-bio says 6'2, 180 but I wasn't really able to watch the game the way I wanted to. He didn't even have his name on the back of his jersey yet, #38.

I guess the biggest thing I'll be watching for is - do his power numbers go down the higher he goes through the system. Urritea started off showing real good power, but since then - it seems like he's a singles hitter. How he does when the pitchers get a scouting report and adjust to him will tell the story of his success or failure. But it's gotta be fun for Frederick fans to have him and Ohlman to watch for their progress.

Even if it's not in the AFL I'm sure he and Urrutia will be getting plenty of AB's in some winter league. It will be interesting to see them next spring with an offseason to prepare.

You say that like they haven't been preparing every offseason of their careers.

Archived