The Magic is Gone ("Perspective" thread merge)

Dipper9

This post will be viewed by some as reactionary, but please bare with me.

This has been a fun season, and its far from over. We've won more than we've lost, the offense has been very exciting at times, and the defense has been spectacular. I've enjoyed the 2013 season and still hold out hope.

That said, I don't think the Orioles are going to make the playoffs this year. We are a good team, but we don't have that magic that we had last year. Last year we were a team of destiny, a team on a mission. This year, Boston has that mojo. The Orioles are winning game for sure, but the amazing comebacks, the walk-offs, the late inning heroics, the extra inning magic, the one run wins, its all missing this year.

We'll win between 85-90 games, and we'll be in this race to the end, but I just don't think it will be enough to make the playoffs.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a fun season, and its far from over. We've won more than we've lost, the offense has been very exciting at times, and the defense has been spectacular. I've enjoyed the 2013 season and still hold out hope.

That said, I don't think the Orioles are going to make the playoffs this year. We are a good team, but we don't have that magic that we had last year. Last year we were a team of destiny, a team on a mission. This year, Boston has that mojo. The Orioles are winning game for sure, but the amazing comebacks, the walk-offs, the late inning heroics, the extra inning magic, the one run wins, its all missing this year.

We'll win between 85-90 games, and we'll be in this race to the end, but I just don't think it will be enough to make the playoffs.

I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion that we may miss the playoffs, but last year was a pretty special year for any team-any year, so it's hard to compare. I don't think you necessarily need the magic in every close ball game to be successful, but it helps when your bullpen is more successful in high leverage situations and this year's version is certainly not as good as last year. The offense came back three separate times last night and if not for a the bullpen having a bad night, you might be talking about the Orioles magic being back after last night.

They may not. But I still like the O's chances.

This time last year:

62-53, one game behind Tampa Bay, six games behind NY

This year:

65-53, two games behind Tampa Bay, five games behind Boston

For the love of God people chill out.

All year, seemingly after every loss there has been at least one thread talking about how "the season is over." Or, "should we fire 'so-and-so'."

people have been trying to shovel dirt on this team for three months. Here are some facts:

Fact:

We are in the playoff race, last night's loss did not change that. Stop acting like it did.

Fact:

The Orioles will NOT win every game from here on out.

Fact:

The Orioles will most likely lose a couple games they "should've won."

Fact:

There is nothing going on with this team, currently, to indicate they are suddenly going to start losing more games then they win.

Fact:

On this raod trip the Orioles are currently 4-2. One more win means another winning road-trip.

Opinion:

People need to get stronger. If you are going to lose your chill over a bad loss in the context of all of the above facts I suggest a regimne of mood stabilizers, or at least scotch.

If they don't make the playoffs, especially by say less than five games, I think I might have to take a sabbatical from here, because the board will be littered with threads highlighting all of the supposed games that "would have made the difference." It's almost as if some folks are completely obsessed over that type of thing.

I know people are energized again, and I know some people have been spoiled by one playoff season, but people really do need to chill out. Your team matters in August and September again. Stop and enjoy it for a minute.

This thread should be 5 stars. It also should be viewed by the countless members of this board who seem to go into a complete depression and think the world is ending if we don't pitch a perfect game or get 10 runs and win every game.

This time last year:

This year:

All year, seemingly after every loss there has been at least one thread talking about how "the season is over." Or, "should we fire 'so-and-so'."

people have been trying to shovel dirt on this team for three months. Here are some facts:

Fact:

We are in the playoff race, last night's loss did not change that. Stop acting like it did.

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

There is nothing going on with this team, currently, to indicate they are suddenly going to start losing more games then they win.

Fact:

On this raod trip the Orioles are currently 4-2. One more win means another winning road-trip.

Opinion:

People need to get stronger. If you are going to lose your chill over a bad loss in the context of all of the above facts I suggest a regimen of mood stabilizers, or at least scotch.

Dang fine post!

:thumbsup1:

This time last year:

This year:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Opinion:

People need to get stronger. If you are going to lose your chill over a bad loss in the context of all of the above facts I suggest a regimne of mood stabilizers, or at least scotch.

Scotch works better. You are right on. Good post.

Oriole Magic can also be called Lucky Wins and last year the cards certainly fell in favor for the O's. I'm not saying they didn't work hard to get the wins, but the overall results were of unusually in the O's favor. If this team doesn't need as much magic to win 90 games, does that make them overall better than last year?

Perhaps this team has (in BS's term) more grind them out wins. Good teams with good D, pitching, hitting don't need Magic.

On a side note, I hate the term "walkoff" it is basically a stupid term that can only apply to one of the teams on the field. I prefer come from behind in the ninth which both teams have an equal chance of doing. The is nothing special when there is a tie game and the home team uses their 25th and 26th out to produce the win.

This time last year:

This year:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Opinion:

This post is full of win.

All of this is true but the competition is better this year. The difference in the unbalanced schedules is playing a role as well. Texas just took 4 from Houston.

Yes, I agree with the message but we will need to play better if we are to make postseason. I think part of the frustration is seeing the other teams playing well and realizing how hard it will be to make it.

Archived