Revised Poll - Whom Do You Prefer As Starting Second Baseman Down The Stretch (Not DH)

Old#5fan

Who Should Be Starting Second Baseman Down The Stretch (non-DH)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Be Starting Second Baseman Down The Stretch (non-DH)

• Roberts
    • Flaherty
    • Casilla
    • Undecidied - too tough a call

I'm frustrated with how quickly folks seem to be to criticize are longest tenured Os in BRob and Markakis. They are definitely not what they were in there primes but are still contributing. I'm glad to have both guys on the team and hope they both get to play in the playoffs this year.

What Tdawg said. If any two Orioles deserve to participate in the drive for the Pennant and a Championship this year it's Brian and Nick! Even to the slight detriment to the team! ;)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RISP numbers over a large sample size regress or progress to the hitters BA

THIS right here. But not even completely. I remember years ago they would post BJ Surhoff's average and numbers for him batting with the the bases loaded, like .437, 7 for every 16. Pretty impressive but then over the years I saw EVERYONE had amazing numbers with the bases juiced. Nick does, just one other off the top of my head.

You have to remember, and I remember BJ saying this exact same thing! When there are RISP, or the bases loaded, the PITCHER is in trouble, not the hitter. Hitter is standing there hoping (and more often than not GETTING) a fat get-me-over strike FB.

Indeed.

Flaherty is better than Roberts right now, IMO, and it's not that surprising, either, ie, it's not something we couldn't have foreseen.

To be honest I'm rather disappointed with the way they've jerked Flaherty around this season.

You are wrong unless you qualify your statement to limit it to Flaherty is better than Roberts right now defensively. If the game is on the line with RISP, I would pinch hit Roberts for Flaherty in a heartbeat, unless it was a situation where Flaherty "owned" that particular pitcher and Roberts had below average numbers. Roberts is a better situational hitter than Flaherty from what I have seen as well.

To those of you griping about Buck starting BRob (I agreed with Buck) it looks like maybe he knows what he's doing - as BROB is 10/20 with RISP since his return to the lineup per Gary Thorne on tonight's telecast.

If only batting with RISP had any more than a passing connection to hitting talent in 20 PAs.

THIS right here. But not even completely. I remember years ago they would post BJ Surhoff's average and numbers for him batting with the the bases loaded, like .437, 7 for every 16. Pretty impressive but then over the years I saw EVERYONE had amazing numbers with the bases juiced. Nick does, just one other off the top of my head.

You have to remember, and I remember BJ saying this exact same thing! When there are RISP, or the bases loaded, the PITCHER is in trouble, not the hitter. Hitter is standing there hoping (and more often than not GETTING) a fat get-me-over strike FB.

Even the bases take PEDs in baseball - so sad.

BRob is as goood as anyone we have for 2B, keep running him out there.

You are wrong unless you qualify your statement to limit it to Flaherty is better than Roberts right now defensively. If the game is on the line with RISP, I would pinch hit Roberts for Flaherty in a heartbeat, unless it was a situation where Flaherty "owned" that particular pitcher and Roberts had below average numbers. Roberts is a better situational hitter than Flaherty from what I have seen as well.

I know you're not into numbers and all. But batting with RISP and individual pitcher-batter matchups have almost zero ability to predict how someone will hit in the next situation like that. You'd be FAR better off just using overall season or career numbers.

Well, he's also batting 234 with a 276 OBP and OPS'ing 628. That's awful. He's giving us below average defense with a 70 OPS+. That's bad.

No, no, don't look at the whole picture, look at the cherry-picked small sample size. That clearly is a better indicator and certainly proves how valuable Roberts is to the team.

Saying that, it's probably another reason why I prefer Roberts coming off the bench where he can pinch hit late in games in situations where moving a runner over or getting a key hit is needed.

I know numbers dont lie and blah blah but the majority cant tell me they dont feel more optimistic having BRob at the plate as opposed to Flah or Casilla....

.720 OPS so far in the month of August (.660 overall) is certainly not amazing or anything, but it is better than what backup A and backup B have given us so far. I also disagree that Roberts is a big liability for us defensively (fangraphs has him at slightly below average). I still think that they are close to a wash with B-Rob having more upside.....but we will see.

I know numbers dont lie and blah blah but the majority cant tell me they dont feel more optimistic having BRob at the plate as opposed to Flah or Casilla....

I absolutely have more confidence with BRob at the plate than Flaherty right now but that has a lot to do with the fact that I think Roberts' offensive numbers will trend up slightly towards his career numbers with more PA's this year. BUT, that doesn't mean he isn't costing us more runs with his glove than adding with his bat. His range is awful right now and his reaction time is delayed.

Again, as it needs to be pointed out to some, that doesn't mean I don't wish him the ultimate success.

I know you're not into numbers and all. But batting with RISP and individual pitcher-batter matchups have almost zero ability to predict how someone will hit in the next situation like that. You'd be FAR better off just using overall season or career numbers.

I understand that, but even so, then Roberts is a better choice then Flaherty any way you slice it when it comes to hitting. His proven track record is far superior.

Also, if you are going by career numbers, rather than what has been happening lately, then by all means we should pick up Mark Reynolds for the stretch run as he is way past due to go on one of his patented "tears."

Finally, Thorne pointed out the Orioles team average in hitting with RISP is now second in the league, and Roberts return has helped elevate it.

I understand that, but even so, then Roberts is a better choice then Flaherty any way you slice it when it comes to hitting. His proven track record is far superior.

Also, if you are going by career numbers, rather than what has been happening lately, then by all means we should pick up Mark Reynolds for the stretch run as he is way past due to go on one of his patented "tears."

Finally, Thorne pointed out the Orioles team average in hitting with RISP is now second in the league, and Roberts return has helped elevate it.

Buck said at the All-Star break, he needed a healthy Roberts for this team's playoff run.

Last night, the Diamondbacks announcers stated that he was 10 for his last 14 with R.I.S.P. right before he walked in the top of the 9th inning.

So I guess that he started out 0-for-6, then went 10-for-14.

And he was down in the count (1-2) before drawing that walk.

I like it.

What Tdawg said. If any two Orioles deserve to participate in the drive for the Pennant and a Championship this year it's Brian and Nick! Even to the slight detriment to the team! ;)

No one, and I mean no one deserves to be playing to the detriment to the team. This is major league baseball and the goal is to win, not to play the fan favorites or keep people in roles they are no longer suited for because of some perceived loyalty.

To me, baseball is a game of streaks and the smart manager is the one who takes advantage and understands those streaks instead of being a slave to loyalty.

.720 OPS so far in the month of August (.660 overall) is certainly not amazing or anything, but it is better than what backup A and backup B have given us so far. I also disagree that Roberts is a big liability for us defensively (fangraphs has him at slightly below average). I still think that they are close to a wash with B-Rob having more upside.....but we will see.

Back up A was hitting the hell out of the ball when he was regulated to the bench and is younger, and far superior defensively to Roberts. A 35-year old guy does not have upside.

Archived