Revised Poll - Whom Do You Prefer As Starting Second Baseman Down The Stretch (Not DH)

Old#5fan

Who Should Be Starting Second Baseman Down The Stretch (non-DH)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Be Starting Second Baseman Down The Stretch (non-DH)

• Roberts
    • Flaherty
    • Casilla
    • Undecidied - too tough a call

Interesting, I didn't realize threads actually went up before the poll creation. Just thought the steps were separated out in the creation. Anyway, I'm still going Roberts. Would like to see Flaherty at least once a week facing righties, though.

Yeah, it's weird part of vbulletin.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude's OPS is .660, he hasn't been able to maintain consistent health, and he's in his mid-30s. The ship has sailed. I don't blame Buck for trying to get whatever he can out of him this year, but... I don't want to see Brian Roberts wearing an O's uni in any future seasons. I love B-Rob, and he's been here for a long time... but it's over.

Now that's a valid poll. I'm honestly interested in seeing where this shakes out myself, but I don't think it will change anyone's minds on either side.

Yes, you were right. The other one was stupid after I thought about it...:o

Flaherty is hands down the winner. His bat is effectively on par with Roberts, and his D is far better.

I think you're overselling Flaherty's bat as effectively on par with roberts.

I think Flaherty is clearly better than Roberts defensively and I think that, even at this point in his career, Roberts is better offensively than Flaherty. The question is how much in each direction and how much impact those differences have on the games.

I went over Brian Roberts' batted ball data, because he seems to make decent contact and hit the ball pretty hard, so I am a little confused as to why his results are so bad. He is getting a little bit screwed on batted balls, especially grounders. But overall I guess he's just lost a little bit. His speed allowed him to beat out a lot more infield hits than he's getting right now, so either he's had bad luck or he's just gotten slower. It's a little sad, because he does seem to put together good at-bats, but you need to have hitting skill for approach to matter, and this seems to have slipped for him.

I think you're overselling Flaherty's bat as effectively on par with roberts.

I think Flaherty is clearly better than Roberts defensively and I think that, even at this point in his career, Roberts is better offensively than Flaherty. The question is how much in each direction and how much impact those differences have on the games.

I agree. I voted Flaherty because his bat, although streaky, is still pretty good at times. I like Roberts' bat a little better, but he can come off the bench or DH a little if the O's need it.

They're both good solid options at 2B.

Flaherty is hands down the winner. His bat is effectively on par with Roberts, and his D is far better.

I initially thought as you did but Roberts is hitting consistently as he is capable. I cannot say the same for Flaherty who MIGHT hit consistently as he is capable. I don't think Roberts has any more upside than Flaherty with the bat, but Brian has experience and a track record of consistently hitting at that peak whereas Flaherty seems to rely on grooves.

I'd take either but I voted for Roberts in this poll.

I voted for Flaherty, but really we should have a Flaherty/Roberts platoon, with BRob getting starts against lefties. I don't know why we need Casilla on the roster.

That's the weaker side of Roberts' platoon split. I don't see how that move would make any sense.

Brob over Ryan everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Yes Ryan is better in Field but i will take Brob bat and sacrifice a little in the field.

B-Rob - 114 AB , 28 Hits , 9 BB, 19 RBI

Flaherty - 196 AB, 42 Hits, 13 BB, 18 RBI

I'll take B-Rob thanks. Flaherty has proven to be consistently inconsistent. People who are down on Roberts expect him to hit 285/350/400. Not gonna happen, but if he can keep hitting in the clutch and getting on base, I'll take him.

That's the weaker side of Roberts' platoon split. I don't see how that move would make any sense.

Because if we're only looking at guys on the roster Roberts's .588 OPS > Flaherty's .458 OPS and Casilla's .566

Further, Brob's career splits are far less dramatic .709/.786 vs. LHP/RHP.

Brob over Ryan everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Yes Ryan is better in Field but i will take Brob bat and sacrifice a little in the field.

This is how I am seeing it as well. Flaherty has potential but is still an unproven bat at the major league level (non-established) whereas his defense is clearly better, Roberts is hands down the better hitter, even if he is 35 years old and hasn't played much the past several years. It is coming back to him.

Archived