Orioles have recruiting opportunity for Jose Abreu through Urrutia

JTrea81

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you going to freak out and quit the board when we don't sign him?

From everything I've heard, he will be way too expensive for us. He isn't going to take a huge pay cut just to play with his childhood friend.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you seem to be setting yourself up for another disappointment. I recommend keeping expectations low.

Someone's going to take this the wrong way:

"As kids, he was skinny like me and all of sudden he just grew. He's huge now," Urrutia said. "He's a humble man and he comes from a rural area of hard-working people. He's going to get a good contract, I know that. I won't be surprised if he gets the biggest contract ever given to a Cuban. He's amazing."

Thanks, I was just googling around for info on any connection like this last night, hoping... hoping.... If Abreu really can play 3B, as referenced in one of the comments to the article, it sets up perfectly for the post-JJ era, with Manny shifting to his natural position. If not, a tougher situation.

If they're really as close as Urrutia says, 'like brothers,' then the O's might have to "only" get into the $$ neighborhood and not actually come up with the highest offer. Even that might be asking too much of Angelos, though.

Are you going to freak out and quit the board when we don't sign him?

From everything I've heard, he will be way too expensive for us. He isn't going to take a huge pay cut just to play with his childhood friend.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you seem to be setting yourself up for another disappointment. I recommend keeping expectations low.

If you weren't trying to be mean, I'd say you failed.

The OP makes a very good point - we do have an excellent recruiting pitch. Now, it most likely won't be enough to get him to take a low ball offer. But, this is an interesting twist.

Yes....this will be taken the wrong way as well.

"He has so much talent and he's playing with torn batting gloves and old balls there."

[video=youtube;Wjtxo6gmns0]

I'd still rather money be funneled into extending our own first, but what a great problem to have if the O's can convince Abreu to sign.

[video=youtube;Wjtxo6gmns0]

I'd still rather money be funneled into extending our own first, but what a great problem to have if the O's can convince Abreu to sign.

Which DD has said for some time now, that is his first priority, retaining our own, then try and fill in the remaining pieces.

Initial reports are suggesting that he could get the most ever for a Cuban player, which wouldn't surprise me. That market has really taken off in recent years. Jim Bowden projected 6/54, and I was honestly expecting something north of $60MM prior to that. $55-$65MM seems plausible to me, depending on which teams are in the mix.

Initial reports are suggesting that he could get the most ever for a Cuban player, which wouldn't surprise me. That market has really taken off in recent years. Jim Bowden projected 6/54, and I was honestly expecting something north of $60MM prior to that. $55-$65MM seems plausible to me, depending on which teams are in the mix.

Yankees have a free 30 million to spend. :)

Given the way Puig has produced, I think it will push a club to overspend for the guy, maybe even more than the 65mm range, of course, count the Birds out of this contract chase.

Yankees have a free 30 million to spend. :)

Given the way Puig has produced, I think it will push a club to overspend for the guy, maybe even more than the 65mm range, of course, count the Birds out of this contract chase.

Steinbrenner boys are attempting to make that team more attractive when they go to sell it. I truly believe they don't want to own the team and are going to make sure they get the best offer they can get. Clearing as much debt as possible will raise the value of the team.

Steinbrenner boys are attempting to make that team more attractive when they go to sell it. I truly believe they don't want to own the team and are going to make sure they get the best offer they can get. Clearing as much debt as possible will raise the value of the team.

I haven't heard that rumor anywhere about selling the club.

I believe Cashman was under orders to try and get under the luxury mark, so the team would stop paying the hefty luxury tax amount. The boys are more business orientated then Daddy, and watching the $$$$ a bit closer.

Archived