Orioles have recruiting opportunity for Jose Abreu through Urrutia

JTrea81

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am of the opinion that this front office would never even think of that.

There is a new Sheriff in town. That said? We are not spending 65 million dollars on a guy like this. Is Cespedes even good anymore?

Both Buck and Dan have probably signed their last contracts. They will do what they please and do it with ease.

To me it's going to be Fred Ferreira that makes the call. Dan has a lot of trust in him and rightfully so. Ferreira scouted Soler but the Orioles decided to pass as he apparently wasn't worth the money.

We'll see what he does about Abreu who has all scouts salivating it seems...

To me it's going to be Fred Ferreira that makes the call. Dan has a lot of trust in him and rightfully so. Ferreira scouted Soler but the Orioles decided to pass as he apparently wasn't worth the money.

The kind of money this guy is going to bring means it has to get approved by Angelos. Angelos doesn't like to gamble big on guys that are unproven in MLB.

So. Dan does what Fred asks him to do?

The kind of money this guy is going to bring means it has to get approved by Angelos. Angelos doesn't like to gamble big on guys that are unproven in MLB.

Maybe he will take one shot at it before he dies. Sometimes old billionaires might just say..to hell with it, I ain't taking it with me.

Maybe he will take one shot at it before he dies. Sometimes old billionaires might just say..to hell with it, I ain't taking it with me.
He did that already.

It isn't just spending. It is spending on unproven talent. I could see PA approving a deal for an established player. I don't see him going big for NPB or Cuban talent with a limited track record.

I hadn't heard that Angelos gave over his checkbook to Ferreira. Fred and Dan can make their case, but they will be extensively cross-examined by the majority owner. They'll probably be asked to make a choice, with limited resources, do they want to spend tens of millions on someone who (in this country) is an unproven talent versus giving contract extensions to Wieters, Machado....

Maybe you haven't been following the team closely on your self-imposed exile/vacation, but we have the same owner, and he's not going to change. Last offseason should have been huge proof of that even with the team in contention. In my opinion, Angelos is expecting Showalter and Duquette to pull off a Moneyball-like miracle in this division.

Archived