What.. the.. Buck..

gmelson26

Managers are as good as their pen. That is where most criticism of a manager comes from. If JJ pitches the way he did last year we are headed to the playoffs and maybe first place.

I'd say it's more than just JJ, but he's a huge part of it no doubt.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He won the WC round, it doesn't matter if it was one game.

I don't care about winning and losing. Who judges a manager on that crap??

I care about ripping guys in press conferences. That's how I judge my managers. And Buck isn't up to snuff. I want him gone!!!

Hey, I'm with you bro. I want him gone, yesterday. I want to get back to the glory years.

Didn't say I wanted him gone but I also don't think he's infallible.

The guy is stubborn and makes some boneheaded decisions and is extremely stubborn.

I can think of a couple managers who would love to coach a team as talented as the one buck gets to manage every night.

Didn't say I wanted him gone but I also don't think he's infallible.

The guy is stubborn and makes some boneheaded decisions and is extremely stubborn.

I can think of a couple managers who would love to coach a team as talented as the one buck gets to manage every night.

I'm sure Valentine would jump at the chance. And he's my kind of manager: not afraid to rip a guy in the press.

You're correct.

As so many managers proved before winning here in Baltimore under Peter Angelos is the easiest thing in the world.

Like I said, I hope we fire Buck tonight, because his press conferences aren't up to snuff. Forget winning and losing. I want players ripped in the press every time they fail. That's what makes a good manager.

That's horrible logic to say that because the Orioles had horrible teams and terrible managers, and that Buck is better than those managers and that we've won, that Buck is above criticism, or that firing him is so unreasonable. He's been fired twice before in identical situations to this year's Orioles team. There's a pattern there. You're giving him the benefit of the doubt because of how relatively awful this team was for so many years. That's just being used to mediocrity, having low expectations, and being grateful for something better than the status quo.

That's horrible logic to say that because the Orioles had horrible teams and terrible managers, and that Buck is better than those managers and that we've won, that Buck is above criticism, or that firing him is so unreasonable. He's been fired twice before in identical situations to this year's Orioles team. There's a pattern there. You're giving him the benefit of the doubt because of how relatively awful this team was for so many years. That's just being used to mediocrity, having low expectations, and being grateful for something better than the status quo.

Yes, it is horribly logic to say that because "we've won" since he's been here firing him is "unreasonable."

I agree. I don't judge managers on irrelevants like winning and losing; I judge them on ripping guys in the press.

Buck ain't getting it done.

I nominate Valentine.

I'm sure Valentine would jump at the chance. And he's my kind of manager: not afraid to rip a guy in the press.

Yeah because there is noooooooooooo middle ground between bobby v and keeping a closer who continues to blow games in that role and refusing to acknowledge reality.

Great point!

Yeah because there is noooooooooooo middle ground between bobby v and keeping a closer who continues to blow games in that role and refusing to acknowledge reality.

Great point!

Yes, keeping the guy who led the league in saves last year, is leading the league again this year, as the closer is something NOOOOOOOOOO other manager in baseball would do.

Yes, it is horribly logic to say that because "we've won" since he's been here firing him is "unreasonable."

I agree. I don't judge managers on irrelevants like winning and losing; I judge them on ripping guys in the press.

Buck ain't getting it done.

I nominate Valentine.

You're interjecting your issues with other posters' posts into your conversations with my posts. I never said Buck should be ripping his players in the press. If you're going to reply to my posts, at least make the conversation relevant to what I have actually said.

Your sarcasm doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Exactly. The logic that because we sucked for 14 years, whoever is the manager when we finally got better is now immediately above reproach is absurd.

Buck makes mistakes. Keeping Johnson in the closer role is a mistake. Period.

No one said to fire him. Ok maybe one yahoo did, but to simply ignore reality is actually just as crazy.

Well, what do you expect?

This is the same fan base that ran Murray out of town too.

Carry on with your pitchforks.

It's really not. Two entire generations of new Orioles fans have been born since Murray was "run out of town". And Murray leaving the Orioles was much more on management and the media than the fanbase. I can't really believe I am disagreeing with such a random, irrelevant, and inaccurate comment referring to such a long time ago. But it makes your haphazard sarcasm make a little more sense.

Archived