Markakis: Wrist affecting power?

Grt 2BA FL Gator

Nick is my favorite player on this team; complete gamer. But his absolute disintegration offensively has been a big part of why our offense is sputtering. I, too, think that his wrist or some other ailment has to be bothering him. He's also a much better hitter in the leadoff or two spot. Having him in the three hole right now just doesn't make any sense. If anything, I think he gets dropped to the 7th or 8th spot. McClouth, Machado, Jones, Davis, Hardy, Wieters, Markakis, Roberts, DH, or something like that. I sure hope he finishes strong. It's been sad watching him struggle this much.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 RBI's in two months. One double in a month. No homers in about two months. He is not worth 15 million next year. I don't seee the Orioles picking up his option for 2015-17.5 million.

This just points to the results. Doesn't try to answer the decline. I guess it's easy to say that he's done and this is who he is, and he's overpaid blah blah blah.

I just have a hard time believing this steep of a power decline is due to anything but injury. I guess it's all speculation from all of us unless the man himself speaks about it.

This just points to the results. Doesn't try to answer the decline. I guess it's easy to say that he's done and this is who he is, and he's overpaid blah blah blah.

I just have a hard time believing this steep of a power decline is due to anything but injury. I guess it's all speculation from all of us unless the man himself speaks about it.

Very true.

Just the lynch mob mentality of those hiding behind computer screens.

I sure hope he finishes strong. It's been sad watching him struggle this much.

This is another thing that's up in the air. I'm pretty pessimistic that he'll all of a sudden find it, but maybe it's like TJ Surgery (we see how Wada is pitching now after a rough start).

The funny thing is, Nick did have some success earlier in the year.. Maybe he needs the rest over the offseason to get used to this thing. That's the best thing I can hope for.

I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday about this, we both think something is going on physically with the lack of power. Hopefully a good offseason can get him back with power next year. I would really think about moving him to leadoff but then I wonder where I would put McLouth.

Of course this all begs the question about Buck's management style all over again. Why is it that Buck has no problem platooning Nate in left field but simply will not sit Nick down at all? Nate is certainly as good a fielder, has a better batting line this year, and is a better baserunner.

Of course this all begs the question about Buck's management style all over again. Why is it that Buck has no problem platooning Nate in left field but simply will not sit Nick down at all? Nate is certainly as good a fielder, has a better batting line this year, and is a better baserunner.

Veteranosity factor? the best thing an Orioles player can do is become a Buck guy. Once you are a Buck guy a lot of your short comings get over looked in roles and/or playing time.

Marakiks' lack of power would be tolerable if he were hitting for a high average and walking, but he's not doing neither well enough right now to compensate.

Hitting .286 in his last 10 games. 4 BBs and 3 KOs.

Not walking, not much, but striking out even less than he walks, which is a hitter is always a good trend to do.

But, it's not like, he is under the Mendoza line, either.

Veteranosity factor? the best thing an Orioles player can do is become a Buck guy. Once you are a Buck guy a lot of your short comings get over looked in roles and/or playing time.

I agree with your overall point but no manager is going to platoon Markakis with his track record. Nate was in AAA last year, no comparison.

Marakiks' lack of power would be tolerable if he were hitting for a high average and walking, but he's not doing neither well enough right now to compensate.

This is true but his average is only about 12 points below his career right now and his OBP is .335. He was up a bit higher (287 BA /.340 OBP) before this trip. I'm sure the pitchers are attacking the strike zone more realizing he can't really hurt them. Not to mention, I think the strike zone has gotten a little tighter for everyone these past few years. None of it plays well for Nick going forward. At least from what I'm seeing right now.

This is another thing that's up in the air. I'm pretty pessimistic that he'll all of a sudden find it, but maybe it's like TJ Surgery (we see how Wada is pitching now after a rough start).

The funny thing is, Nick did have some success earlier in the year.. Maybe he needs the rest over the offseason to get used to this thing. That's the best thing I can hope for.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not expecting him to end the year with a .330/.450/.800 florish, though it would certainly help the team's chances....

Good thread topic.

Some numbers:

Markakis Doubles

2007 - 43

2008 - 48

2009 - 45

2010 - 45

2011 - 31

2012 - 28

2013 - 26 (<--on pace. Total YTD - 19)

That's some crazy consistency early on in his career and then now a drop in 3 straight years. We all know his home run numbers have always been somewhere in the teens consistently but he's been touted as a doubles machine. Maybe in the past but he's no longer that. A player with homers in the teens and doubles in the 20's is going to be lucky to SLG over .420

Also take a look at this stat:

Markakis XBH% (Extra Base Hit %)

2007 - 9.7%

2008 - 9.9%

2009 - 9.1%

2010 - 8.5%

2011 - 6.6%

2012 - 9.3%

2013 - 5.5%

Ouch... for comparison, McLouth is 7.8% Jones is 10.4%, Davis is 15.5% for 2013

Good thread topic.

Some numbers:

Markakis Doubles

2007 - 43

2008 - 48

2009 - 45

2010 - 45

2011 - 31

2012 - 28

2013 - 26 (<--on pace. Total YTD - 19)

That's some crazy consistency early on in his career and then now a drop in 3 straight years. We all know his home run numbers have always been somewhere in the teens consistently but he's been touted as a doubles machine. Maybe in the past but he's no longer that. A player with homers in the teens and doubles in the 20's is going to be lucky to SLG over .420

Also take a look at this stat:

Markakis XBH% (Extra Base Hit %)

2007 - 9.7%

2008 - 9.9%

2009 - 9.1%

2010 - 8.5%

2011 - 6.6%

2012 - 9.3%

2013 - 5.5%

Ouch... for comparison, McLouth is 7.8% Jones is 10.4%, Davis is 15.5% for 2013

It'd be pretty damning if not for last year. He was on pace for about 45 doubles last year if not for missing games. And his XBH % was also in a good place.

So the question to be asked is also, did he not have enough time to cool off and just had a hot 100 games last year? Again, I guess we just don't know unless he comes out and says what he's dealing with OR we get more time to analyze.

There is always an excuse for Markakis. One year it was because he got married and had a kid. The next year it was another excuse. What will be the excuse next year? I have no proof, but maybe the power outage is from lack of PED's. It's not like Oriole players are immune from suspicion.

Archived