Markakis: Wrist affecting power?

Grt 2BA FL Gator

There is always an excuse for Markakis. One year it was because he got married and had a kid. The next year it was another excuse. What will be the excuse next year? I have no proof, but maybe the power outage is from lack of PED's. It's not like Oriole players are immune from suspicion.

No need for an excuse last year. He had a solid year. I don't believe this year is business as usual and we are making up an excuse. He is better than this.

Unless his body is failing him at 29. Anecdotal evidence says he has been getting slower AND his wrist got plunked.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is always an excuse for Markakis. One year it was because he got married and had a kid. The next year it was another excuse. What will be the excuse next year? I have no proof, but maybe the power outage is from lack of PED's. It's not like Oriole players are immune from suspicion.

It's possible. But also sad that fans have to enter this into their minds about any fluctuation in performance even when PED's aren't a factor in 99% of cases.

It's possible. But also sad that fans have to enter this into their minds about any fluctuation in performance even when PED's aren't a factor in 99% of cases.

This is nothing new though so I don't believe it's a wrist issue. He has not been that great for quite some time. I remember complaining about him for the past 3 years on this board.

I think any reasonable person has to agree with this. There is something wrong, I'm hoping it's related to the surgery, and then the broken wrist, and I hope he gets the ability to drive the ball back. I did read that players often damage that bone by holding the knob of the bat, and after the bone is gone, players can tell it's gone, so maybe that's why he chokes up. I honestly don't know the reason, I'm hoping it's just temporary.

Any possibility that the broken thumb from being hit by C.C. Sabathia is acting up?

It'd be pretty damning if not for last year. He was on pace for about 45 doubles last year if not for missing games. And his XBH % was also in a good place.

Looks and smells like steroids to me. My thing is if you're using roids and getting a big contract then you need to keep using until that contract is finished. If not you're just being selfish and hurting the teams chances of winning like his doubles buddy BROB. Maybe there's a reason Markakis and Brob have never played in a playoff game. Karma? Or huge contracts that they got based on PED production that hamstrung their teams budget. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just being a realist.

True, he hasn't been producing, it was nice to see him produce yesterday.

Can, we wait and see how he plays in 2014, before we argue about picking up the option for 2015?

If you want, but there's zero chance--zero--that the Orioles will pick up that option. There is a greater likelihood that Markakis will be unable to find a team to give him a starting job in 2015 than there is that the Orioles pick up that option.

This is nothing new though so I don't believe it's a wrist issue. He has not been that great for quite some time. I remember complaining about him for the past 3 years on this board.

He was good last year when healthy. And he's never been this bad. The decline in not just home runs but doubles is truly alarming.

If you want, but there's zero chance--zero--that the Orioles will pick up that option.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/markani01.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom where it shows the layout of his contract. In 2015 it says:

"$17.5M Team Option, $2M Buyout Player can void and forfeit buyout."

What does "player can void and forfeit buyout" mean? Sounds like he can force the team to pick up the option.

By this logic, the early home runs WOULDNT have come and the'd slowly be coming now..the opposite is true. Its not the wrist I dont think.

Maybe he is just settling in to what he really is...a solid fielding singles hitter..

And when IS the last time Nick cranked one?

Spring training. I saw him send one in Sarasota. Of course, the option for 2015 could be picked up if Nick hits 30 hrs next year. Unlikely yes, but stranger things have happened.

Hopefully Urrutia's bat will pick up next year if Markakis struggles again. Markakis will definitely be playing for a new contract as the option looks out of play. The O's could always buy him out and extend him at a much lower price. The real question would be if he's good enough to be an everyday RF in 2015.

Archived