Miguel Tejada to be suspended

wingman123

Didn't we already have this conversation? Or is someone else asking me the same stupid questions in a row about this specific topic?

The Medical community can write whatever prescriptions they want.

MLB can put forth whatever restrictions on their use they want.

The two have little to do with one another.

I don't know what the standards were before, I do not know what the standards are now. What I do know is that it is harder to get a waiver now then it was a couple years ago.

Let's find out then shall we?

According to this article from 2012, almost 10 percent of MLB players are prescribed greenies. Holy crap! That doesn't sound like much of a restriction does it?

http://www.baseballnation.com/2012/6/29/3104332/is-there-an-adhd-epidemic-in-major-league-baseball

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's find out then shall we?

According to this article from 2012, almost 10 percent of MLB players are prescribed greenies. Holy crap! That doesn't sound like much of a restriction does it?

http://www.baseballnation.com/2012/6/29/3104332/is-there-an-adhd-epidemic-in-major-league-baseball

Yea, lets!

From that very article:

But there were other changes, too. Under the new policy, major league players who request exemptions in order to take prescription medications for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) will need the approval of a three-expert panel. Under the old policy, one person reviewed, and decided on, requests for Therapeutic Use Exemptions.

Why the change? Since 2007, more than 100 major leaguers have been granted exemptions each season in order to take drugs like Adderall and Ritalin, stimulants that help ADHD sufferers focus for long periods of time. And it's been growing slightly every season, from 103 in 2007 to 111 in 2011. That's about eight percent of all major leaguers.

Sure sounds like a higher standard to me.

Also 8% < 10%.

Yea, lets!

From that very article:

Sure sounds like a higher standard to me.

Also 8% < 10%.

Yes I saw that. But Miggy has been busted multiple times. He should have gotten the prescription a long time ago. The new rules also do nothing about the 10 percent already prescribed greenies.

I bet at least half of those are bogus diagnoses just to get the greenies. They are smart. I would have done it too.

Look at this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130817&content_id=57298918&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Tejada issued a statement through the Major League Baseball Players Association on Saturday afternoon, explaining he took a banned substance while re-applying for a Therapeutic Use Exemption. According to multiple reports, including one from USA TODAY, Tejada's exemption expired on April 15.

I feel bad for the guy. He was just doing what 10 percent of other players get away with. But look at the last line, he DID have the exemption but it expired. Looks like the new rules may have screwed him. When did he get the exemption, and why?

Look at this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130817&content_id=57298918&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I feel bad for the guy. He was just doing what 10 percent of other players get away with. But look at the last line, he DID have the exemption.

Guess that proves how easy it still is to get it?

Except for the part where at least some of those players do have an actual medical need for the drugs.

Except for the part where at least some of those players do have an actual medical need for the drugs.

What a mess this is. So apparently Tejada was given the exemption to take greenies along with 116 other players. For some unknown reason, his exemption expired, and he was trying to get it re instated.

So let's say he did have a medical reason, they just let his exemption expire? Or maybe they knew he was lying about having ADD and they made it expire.

Yes I saw that. But Miggy has been busted multiple times. He should have gotten the prescription a long time ago. The new rules also do nothing about the 10 percent already prescribed greenies.

I bet at least half of those are bogus diagnoses just to get the greenies. They are smart. I would have done it too.

There actually is a higher diagnosis rate among athletes. Many use sports as an outlet where they can better focus.

So, what is the effect of ADHD on sports and may it offer an advantage in some sport activities? Many exceptional athletes have ADHD and, in some circumstances, ADHD may offer advantages. Impulsivity may equate with spontaneity and quick decision making. Examples given in the literature include basketball point guards who are good playmakers and football quarterbacks who have the ability to make a play instantly (impulsively) without reflection. Many athletes with ADHD report the ability to hyper focus on enjoyable activities, block out distractions and focus on the competitive event. Michael Phelps, the multiple Olympic gold medal winning swimmer, has ADHD and a legendary ability to focus.

http://www.dailystrength.org/health_blogs/dr-orrange/article/adhd-medication-and-sports-is-there-an-advantage

Of course it would also make sense that they merely want to better focus on their game just as most people would suspect. But around 100 players out of nearly 1300 players isn't too far fetched.

There actually is a higher diagnosis rate among athletes. Many use sports as an outlet where they can better focus.

http://www.dailystrength.org/health_blogs/dr-orrange/article/adhd-medication-and-sports-is-there-an-advantage

Of course it would also make sense that they merely want to better focus on their game just as most people would suspect. But around 100 players out of nearly 1300 players isn't too far fetched.

That is very interesting! I completely agree because I have ADD and played some good baseball in my day.

I don't agree with suspending Tejada, I hope he appeals and wins. It's not like he was taking it illegally. Sounds like he had a valid prescription, and even had the exemption from MLB.

That is very interesting! I completely agree because I have ADD and played some good baseball in my day.

I don't agree with suspending Tejada, I hope he appeals and wins. It's not like he was taking it illegally. Sounds like he had a valid prescription, and even had the exemption from MLB.

Pretty irrelevant either way. He is on the 60 day DL and has barely been able to hold onto a job in MLB the last few seasons. Even without the suspension I would put the odds on him playing in MLB again at under 50%.

David Sequi had low T. None of them should get the exemption. If you have a medical condition that makes it hard to play, you might need to have another career. It is performance enhancing.

Having a prescription does not a banned substance make ok. There are different rules to play baseball than to live life.

David Sequi had low T. None of them should get the exemption. If you have a medical condition that makes it hard to play, you might need to have another career. It is performance enhancing.

There are non amphetamine medications for ADD like Strattera. I wonder why they are not required to try those first?

http://www.strattera.com/Pages/index.aspx

Archived