Poll= Was There More Pressure and Stress Down The Stretch Last Season Or Right Now?

Old#5fan

More Pressure On Orioles This Season Or Last Down the Stretch?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. More Pressure On Orioles This Season Or Last Down the Stretch?

• This season - bar was raised after last season
    • Last season - to prove they could do it
    • Pressure about the same
    • Moot Issue - Major League Players Don't Feel Pressure

This poll is closed to new votes

Well I did the poll and the majority of voters agree with me. Like it or not, that is a fact. Does that make me superior to you or anyone who doesn't agree? Absolutely not, but COC started this by calling me out on a thread initiated by Roy Firestone to "stop the crap" regarding expectations causing more pressure this season. I find that his arrogant response was unwarranted, and not only because of the arrogance but because his take is clearly wrong in my view and as this poll here attests, the majority of fans - just as I knew would be the case. AGAIN, sort of COMMON SENSE. Like it or not, and this view is certainly not "CRAP". If Can of Corn thinks that, he better re-think the strong possibility that he indeed, is WRONG in his view on this.

And all of this means absolutely nothing because you're asking a bunch of neurotic fans what the pressure is on the players, not to mention the problems inherent with gaging pressure a year later.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm voting moot issue. I don't like the choices or words after the choices here but let's face some facts:

In addition to being in a playoff race, last year we had numerous guys playing for ML contracts. McClouth was a hangnail away from being out of baseball, Machado was trying to prove he belongs here/learning 3rd base, Davis...Reynolds....Tillman....Hunter....etc. were all guys who could have been non-tendered or released at the end of the year at some point last year. There is NO way of knowing how much each one of them had that weighing down their shoulders that they don't have this year.(most of these guys were considered a part of the core). This year we only a couple of fringe guys playing for that, baring some sort of collapse or they are playing for a better contract. Once again, how does ANYONE beside the player involved know the difference in the pressure? (If someone is a swami here please tell me the powerball numbers)

Not trying to knock the OP, but I read the other thread just before I saw this poll, and this poll does not fit the argument made there.

I couldn't care care less that the majority of voters agree with you in your pretty biased poll.

Since COC has basically said he agrees with what I've already have stated, he probably doesn't have much to rethink imo.While I wasn't privy to your original conversation I'm guessing you've exaggerated it. While COC can be quite harsh at times I'm pretty sure he can apply some nuance and critical thinking at a scale well above what you have generally shown...certainly that's the case in this "poll" of yours.

I get it. You are pals with COC. Obviously discerned as you admit you didn't even see where he intruded on my post directed to Roy Firestone by telling me Ias if I am to cow tow to him) to "stop the crap." Newsflash, I don't take that from anyone on this site other than Tony. Nor do I give a proverbial rats hindquarters that you wish to vote on this poll the way you did. I am astonished that four additonal posters other than COC voted that way. You all must think that baseball players are not human.

I'm voting moot issue. I don't like the choices or words after the choices here but let's face some facts:

In addition to being in a playoff race, last year we had numerous guys playing for ML contracts. McClouth was a hangnail away from being out of baseball, Machado was trying to prove he belongs here/learning 3rd base, Davis...Reynolds....Tillman....Hunter....etc. were all guys who could have been non-tendered or released at the end of the year at some point last year. There is NO way of knowing how much each one of them had that weighing down their shoulders that they don't have this year.(most of these guys were considered a part of the core). This year we only a couple of fringe guys playing for that, baring some sort of collapse or they are playing for a better contract. Once again, how does ANYONE beside the player involved know the difference in the pressure? (If someone is a swami here please tell me the powerball numbers)

Not trying to knock the OP, but I read the other thread just before I saw this poll, and this poll does not fit the argument made there.

You are WAY over analyzing the question. Basically do you think there was more pressure to make the playoffs last season for the Orioles or is there more this year? I simply equated there is more pressure due to higher expectations for them all. I was told by COC to "stop with the crap" even though I was directing my post to Roy Firestone on his thread. I think the pressure of this pennant race and the expectations of a repeat performance of making the playoffs has been Jim Johnson's downfall, but that is not part of the poll.

And all of this means absolutely nothing because you're asking a bunch of neurotic fans what the pressure is on the players, not to mention the problems inherent with gaging pressure a year later.

That is your opinion good sir, but indeed it is a minority view. Feel free to view those 72% of us as being wrong, but it is common sense, as baseball players are human beings, and yes they do feel pressure when expectations are higher. It is human nature and it is showing by the results on the field. Brian Roberts even commented about it after the game last night. Apparently, you are another O's fan who missed his interview eh?

You are WAY over analyzing the question. Basically do you think there was more pressure to make the playoffs last season for the Orioles or is there more this year? I simply equated there is more pressure due to higher expectations for them all. I was told by COC to "stop with the crap" even though I was directing my post to Roy Firestone on his thread. I think the pressure of this pennant race and the expectations of a repeat performance of making the playoffs has been Jim Johnson's downfall, but that is not part of the poll.

Right. It is much more likely to be his inability to handle pressure then:

Low K rate (5.88)

High WHIP (1.24)

A FIP .42 runs higher then his ERA

Unsustainable BABIP (.285 career .251 in 2012)

When expectations are higher the pressure to meet those expectations increase proportionally.

Don't buy it. For frantic and reactionary fans maybe. ML players are for the most part, very adept at handling pressure. Jim Johnson may be feeling a lot of pressure right now but he's basically a flawed pitcher pitching to his peripherals.

Wow, I am surprised that after 35 votes I am the only one to say that it is the same. I voted before I read what others had posted, but to be honest at THIS point in the stretch last season we were in the playoff race. The pressure was huge to make the playoffs. It is nearly identical this year, only we are now racing 3 others in the AL EAST not 2.

If you think about it, this season almost paints the same picture as last year. The perception from fans and the media may be a bit different, albeit we all expect the O's to be better and do better, but the pressure this year is the same. We are in a race and have a legitimate shot of making the postseason. The players, coaches, and fans have to feel good about that. I do.

I think there may be a different "feel" to this years race because we did so well last year, but the pressure is the same. We have about 30 games to get into the wild card or to the top of the division, just like 2012...

Don't buy it. For frantic and reactionary fans maybe. ML players are for the most part, very adept at handling pressure. Jim Johnson may be feeling a lot of pressure right now but he's basically a flawed pitcher pitching to his peripherals.

If pressure was Johnson's problem then why has he had trouble with the NL West? His blown saves this season.

Pressure games:

Rays May 18

Yanks May 20

Yanks July 5

Non-Pressure games:

Padres May 14

Blue Jays May 26

Indians June 26

Giants Aug 9

Dback Aug 13-14

So four of his nine have been against the NL West. Why does he find the NL West so stressful to pitch against?

I think pressure exists in all major league baseball games to one degree or another. I don't think the Orioles' bullpen has performed worse than last year's because there is more pressure. It's just natural variation in year to year performance. I don't think when JJ comes into a game with a one run lead, he is thinking about the expectations placed on the 2013 Orioles. But he might be thinking about the fact that he's been somewhat hittable this year and putting pressure on himself that way.

Right. It is much more likely to be his inability to handle pressure then:

Low K rate (5.88)

High WHIP (1.24)

A FIP .42 runs higher then his ERA

Unsustainable BABIP (.285 career .251 in 2012)

You have a problem apparently in realizing you cannot quantify every aspect of baseball or anything else for the matter involving human beings. AGAIN, COMMON SENSE!

When expectations are higher the pressure to meet those expectations increase proportionately. Last year was a magical "dream like " season.

This year weve expected to be at least a contending team from day one. Thats a huge difference, but then, I wouldnt want it any other way.

The pressure is on us, just like it is on the Red Sox, Yankees, and even the Rays, though their fan base seems somewhat apathetic either way.

Right Roy, and virtually everyone I know who has followed baseball for any lenght of time knows this. There is inherent pressure in all sports, but baseball has such a long season it isn't always as easy to see as in some other sports like golf, or even the NFL. (See Tony Romo who is a stats machine in the regular season and plays like crap in big games or playoffs - sort of the opposite of Flacco).

Another way of saying he is wilting under pressure. Just sounds fancier I guess but I am not impressed.

You have a problem apparently in realizing you cannot quantify every aspect of baseball or anything else for the matter involving human beings. AGAIN, COMMON SENSE!

You already made up your mind on this topic years ago. It might be in your best interest to actually look at what I am trying to tell you.

You have yet to refute any data I have brought to this discussion. You just spout out comments: "common sense" "You didn't play the game" "You are a robot".

Archived