Base running (Casilla/Dickerson)

Orioles4Life21

I'm not going to second guess the decision but this is a good point. Nick is a LH batter and has the hole so why not wait a batter. Not to mention Rodney issues a lot if walks and Nick has a good eye up there.

But Nick isn't going well right now. How many times does he turn on the ball? Half the time he goes to the opposite field. I think on some levels the steal is an indictment of Markakis. Buck didn't drop him to 7th for no reason.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
-Molina isn't particularly good at throwing out runners

-Runner are 7-of-8 stealing vs. Rodney this year

-Casilla was 7-of-8 stealing this year (28 of 30 over the past two seasons)

-Bottom of the order coming up, Markakis is slumping and Valencia/Pearce are pretty hopeless vs. RHP

So, yeah, not only does it make sense....it's an obvious move.

Yep. I'm all about getting on Buck when he does something that I think he needs to be gotten on for, but this was the right move that didn't work out. I may have thought about bunting Markakis, especially with his career numbers against Rodney, but I was fine with the SB attempt.

It was the right move for Casilla to steal all the way. It doesn't matter anyway. Even if Markakis bunts him over Valencia wouldn't have gotten him in. He was over matched vs Rodney.

This is why it hurts not having a guy like Betemit on the roster.

Do you think Casilla was running on his own? I would be surprised if that were the case, but I guess it's possible.

A seldom used backup infielder running on his own, in the 9th inning down by a run? No way. Surely, there was a sign flashing from the dugout to the 3rd base coach. Can't see it any other way.

Okay I realize the first thing you all are gonna say is "no the 15 left on base killed us" and that is true, but any chance we had in the 9th was pretty much ruined by Casilla trying to steal with nobody out. That just makes no sense to me. I'm sure you all remember the incident where he forgot how many outs there were too. Alexi can fly but I'm now pretty convinced that he is really lacking in base running instincts.

Somebody please explain to me how that attempted steal made any sense because I can't see any reasons. It was way too big of a risk with no outs.

78 of 89 for his career. (88%)

I think he has decent instincts.

A seldom used backup infielder running on his own, in the 9th inning down by a run? No way. Surely, there was a sign flashing from the dugout to the 3rd base coach. Can't see it any other way.

The chances that Casilla ran on his own accord and not with the approval or sign from the base coach is implausible at best.

Stats show Rodney is able to be stolen on fairly easy, Casilla has good speed.. he got a good jump, fat Molina made the best throw of his career and that's how it went down. Casilla makes it safe 9 out of 10 times.

"fat" Molina has the 5th best career CS% among active players... Wieters and Mauer are 10th and 11th.

I'm sure he's made equally comparable throws.

Yep. I'm all about getting on Buck when he does something that I think he needs to be gotten on for, but this was the right move that didn't work out. I may have thought about bunting Markakis, especially with his career numbers against Rodney, but I was fine with the SB attempt.

Yeah, a Markakis bunt might have been in order as well. Personally, I would have done what Buck did. Get Casilla to 2B ASAP and we have three chances to single him home.

Your posts continue to prove you know not of what you speak.

I do. Watch the replay and you can see he was tagged several feet before the bag and the guy was waiting for him with the ball. Not close at all. But this is a personal attack and trolling.

Maybe you could watch the action instead of just repeating what the TV announers state.

I do. Watch the replay and you can see he was tagged several feet before the bag and the guy was waiting for him with the ball. Not close at all. But this is a personal attack and trolling.

Maybe you could watch the action instead of just repeating what the TV announers state.

Sounds like a personal attack.

BTW, Tony-OH already said you wasn't close to being true. But, you chose to ignore that comment, he posted.

Archived