Base running (Casilla/Dickerson)

Orioles4Life21

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I need to watch a replay because he also looked out by a mile to me. I was sitting kind of far away, though. Also, they serve beer at the stadium.

It was a perfect throw. Dude caught the ball and Casilla's foot immediately hit the glove. Literally perfect.

That's not really important when determining whether it was good strategy or not though. Usually Casiila is going to get a better jump, the pitch is not going to be a perfect pitch to catch and throw and the throw isn't going to be top-notch.

THEY SERVE BEER!!!!?!

78 of 89 for his career. (88%)

I think he has decent instincts.

I meant more that he has lost track of the outs and that he doesn't know when he should attempt a steal and when he shouldn't. But I do see now that his attempt last night did have some good reasoning behind it, although I still would've at least let Nick hit away before sending Alexi with one out and Valencia at the plate.

I meant more that he has lost track of the outs and that he doesn't know when he should attempt a steal and when he shouldn't. But I do see now that his attempt last night did have some good reasoning behind it, although I still would've at least let Nick hit away before sending Alexi with one out and Valencia at the plate.

I thought that was shown not to be the case.

Perhaps. I remember people saying it may not have been the case, but I don't remember figuring it out for sure.

Yeah, I'm sure he stated that he thought the ball was going to fall in. Maybe he was lying about it I guess. In any event, ti was subject to criticism.

Right call against the right pitcher. Runners have stolen 7 out of 8 against him. Casilla got a good jump, but Molina threw a perfect throw. If it's on the other side of the bag, he's safe. He threw it right into the runner and got Casilla by about 2-3 feet.

You absolutely need to make that play. Nick is a double play waiting to happen, especially with his approach as of late. Today he looked terrible at the plate aside from his first AB.

What?

Nick looked terrible? He scorched a ball to right field right at the fielder. He looked much better at the plate IMO.

And 2-3 feet???? What game were you watching? At most a foot.

I guess I need to watch a replay because he also looked out by a mile to me. I was sitting kind of far away, though. Also, they serve beer at the stadium.

It really is semantics at this point. Casilla was out and it wasn't a close call, but the premise of the OP is just wrong. It was not Casilla's base running that got him caught. Casilla got a good jump, ran as quickly as he ever did, did not stumble, and made a nice head first slide to the outside of the base. The problem was that the Rays basically either called for or Rodney threw the perfect 95 MPH pitch up in the zone and Molina threw a perfect strike to the inside of the bag.

It's been said a 100 times but Casilla has a tremendous career stolen base success rate, was 7 of 8 this year, Rodney is slow to the plate (7 of 8 were successful) and Molina has not been great this year throwing out runners. The odds were in Buck's favor by sending him and with the bottom of the order up, it made sense to give him the chance to steal the base. The other guys get paid too and even though they probably had less than a 20% chance to get him, that 20% came through. Sometimes you have tip your cap and Molina came up big.

It was not Casilla's or Buck's fault at all.

It really is semantics at this point. Casilla was out and it wasn't a close call, but the premise of the OP is just wrong. It was not Casilla's base running that got him caught. Casilla got a good jump, ran as quickly as he ever did, did not stumble, and made a nice head first slide to the outside of the base. The problem was that the Rays basically either called for or Rodney threw the perfect 95 MPH pitch up in the zone and Molina threw a perfect strike to the inside of the bag.

It's been said a 100 times but Casilla has a tremendous career stolen base success rate, was 7 of 8 this year, Rodney is slow to the plate (7 of 8 were successful) and Molina has not bee great this year throwing out runners. The odds were in Buck's favor by sending him and with the bottom of the order up, it made sense to give him the chance to steal the base. The others guys get paid too and even though they probably had less than a 20% chance to get him, that 20% came through. Sometimes you have tip your cap and Molina came up big.

Agreed. On a related note, I think Casilla has done a pretty decent job for this team. His offense has been nothing to write home about, but his defense has been stellar. He's been worth 0.7 rWAR in pretty limited playing time (27 starts, 46 games played). I like him a lot more than most posters on this board seem to.

It's been said a 100 times but Casilla has a tremendous career stolen base success rate, was 7 of 8 this year, Rodney is slow to the plate (7 of 8 were successful) and Molina has not bee great this year throwing out runners. The odds were in Buck's favor by sending him and with the bottom of the order up, it made sense to give him the chance to steal the base. The others guys get paid too and even though they probably had less than a 20% chance to get him, that 20% came through. Sometimes you have tip your cap and Molina came up big.

Yep, I agree 100%. Without a high fastball and a perfect throw, he's going to be safe. And no way was he running on his own there.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived