Base running (Casilla/Dickerson)

Orioles4Life21

Here is Dickerson's own account, which mainly agrees with you, but adds the fact that he was deked and that, along with the fact that he was already beginning his slide, made him not look to Dickerson the 3rd-base coach for guidance; his saying that the O's had been "chomping at the bit" to steal because of the WSox pitchers' slow TTTP is interesting:
What are you saying? That if Ramirez hadn't deeked, then he should not have slid and instead returned to 1B? That's ridiculous. He is trying to steal, deek or no deek. If Dickerson hasn't signaled him before he commits to his slide, then it's on Dickerson. But it isn't on anyone, except possibly Roberts for popping up, a called strike out would have been better. Read this again,"I didn't peek, and it ended up in the one place where you're not going to get that awareness reaction from the infielders,."

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you saying? That if Ramirez hadn't deeked, then he should not have slid and instead returned to 1B? That's ridiculous. He is trying to steal, deek or no deek. If Dickerson hasn't signaled him before he commits to his slide, then it's on Dickerson. But it isn't on anyone, except possibly Roberts for popping up, a called strike out would have been better. Read this again,"I didn't peek, and it ended up in the one place where you're not going to get that awareness reaction from the infielders,."

Sorry, El Gordo, that you misinterpreted me. Let's try it again: Once I read Dickerson's account I gained a better understanding of a play that, at the time, I couldn't watch and had been reacting to according to the broadcasters' and game thread's reactions. As I clearly said, his explanation accords with yours, on, for example, such points as the fact that he doesn't peek on straight steals and the dire consequences of where the ball was hit. You could have inferred from that that I agreed with you as well. OK, have I said anything "ridiculous" yet? If not, let's proceed to the next paragraph.

I then said Chris D. added the fact that he was deked, which you had not delineated and, understandably, probably not had the chance to see, and was already beginning his slide. He mentions these as reasons why he did not look to Bobby D. Here, I am merely rephrasing what Chris said. I did not say or imply that "if Ramirez hadn't deeked, then he should not have slid and instead returned to 1B." It is most likely the case that even if Bobby had somehow gotten through to him, it would have been too late for him to return safely to first anyway. It is not even clear from the replay what Bobby was actually doing, although we do see (a) Wayne Kirby from his position as first-base coach trying to call and motion Chris back and (b) Chris looking back over his right shoulder--not to his third-base coach--even before he finished his slide, possibly because he had heard Kirby or someone else yelling at him (one can't be sure, of course, unless Chris were to tell us).

I think in your post you thought I was trying to blame Chris using his own account against him--how mean!--or maybe misreading it. As I said, after reading it, I no longer faulted him, although some broadcasters who actually saw the play immediately did (cf. the video replay); perhaps they have changed their minds since as well.

The video is at http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_09_08_chamlb_balmlb_1&mode=video&c_id=bal

Sorry, El Gordo, that you misinterpreted me. Let's try it again: Once I read Dickerson's account I gained a better understanding of a play that, at the time, I couldn't watch and had been reacting to according to the broadcasters' and game thread's reactions. As I clearly said, his explanation accords with yours, on, for example, such points as the fact that he doesn't peek on straight steals and the dire consequences of where the ball was hit. You could have inferred from that that I agreed with you as well. OK, have I said anything "ridiculous" yet? If not, let's proceed to the next paragraph.

I then said Chris D. added the fact that he was deked, which you had not delineated and, understandably, probably not had the chance to see, and was already beginning his slide. He mentions these as reasons why he did not look to Bobby D. Here, I am merely rephrasing what Chris said. I did not say or imply that "if Ramirez hadn't deeked, then he should not have slid and instead returned to 1B." It is most likely the case that even if Bobby had somehow gotten through to him, it would have been too late for him to return safely to first anyway. It is not even clear from the replay what Bobby was actually doing, although we do see (a) Wayne Kirby from his position as first-base coach trying to call and motion Chris back and (b) Chris looking back over his right shoulder--not to his third-base coach--even before he finished his slide, possibly because he had heard Kirby or someone else yelling at him (one can't be sure, of course, unless Chris were to tell us).

I think in your post you thought I was trying to blame Chris using his own account against him--how mean!--or maybe misreading it. As I said, after reading it, I no longer faulted him, although some broadcasters who actually saw the play immediately did (cf. the video replay); perhaps they have changed their minds since as well.

The video is at http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_09_08_chamlb_balmlb_1&mode=video&c_id=bal

I was sitting behind home plate at the time and it was abundantly clear to me that he was stealing the base. After sliding into 2B he had no chance to get back to 1B. End of story. Anyone who thinks other wise wasn't there and really didn't see the play. If he had looked back over his shoulder while trying to steal 2B, he might have lost his footing, and very likely a step, which could have gotten him out. I don't know what Buck said but I would be surprised if Dickerson wasn't told steal as soon as you feel you can make it in that situation. Roberts got two quick strikes on him and if Dickerson didn't steal then he wasn't likely to have a better shot. He had the base stolen easily. Should he be blamed for not anticipating that Roberts would pop up behind him, the one spot where he couldn't see the ball? Apparently a number of people who never played baseball seem to think so. :rolleyestf:

Most runners don't peek on a straight steal. If Roberts K's he has the base stolen. If Roberts hits the ball to the IF he avoids the DP, if Roberts flies out he has time to get back. If Roberts pops up behind him he's screwed. His odds were pretty good IMO.

This is ridiculous. With two strikes, you have to take a peek. Its a MUST. Every ballplayer knows this. EVERY ballplayer. The only time you don't peek is on a straight steal, but this should not be a straight steal when a mistake costs you the game. Kenny Singleton was on this morning and said he learned in the developmental leagues to take a peek. Its an unforgivable mistake, but its over and done with now. But to defend the man for it is just ridiculous. And to blame BRob as you do in later posts...well...I won't even comment on that.

No, hes not a good base runner. Did you see him today. Rumor is he won't be back tomorrow.

Strange, not a single person has mentioned Dickerson's great baserunning play that happened literally the previous day, and might have won the game for the Orioles (when he advanced from first to third on Markakis' bloop single, when most runners would've been hesitant and held at second).

Most runners don't peek on a straight steal. If Roberts K's he has the base stolen. If Roberts hits the ball to the IF he avoids the DP, if Roberts flies out he has time to get back. If Roberts pops up behind him he's screwed. His odds were pretty good IMO.

Must spread rep. All great points El Gordo.

Archived