When do you consider benching Markakis?

xKHx

On the Fox broadcast today they were saying he's one of the most underrated players in baseball, unfortunately that only used to be true.

They were saying that today on FOX? Who said it exactly?

I can't believe they said that when Nick is playing horribly.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His performance this year is a major reason the Orioles aren't in a playoff position right now. It's depressing. I would definitely rest him for a couple games to see if it makes any difference. It might not, but it's worth a shot at this point.

I would like to hear Nick himself admit he is not getting the job done. Every interview he does is happy go lucky BS.

I suggested this several times, and my inbox got lit up with neg reps. Some people here are living in fantasy land.

There is no way Nick is getting benched. He is laughing all the way to the bank while the ship sinks.

I'm not suggesting its the truth, I am merely postulating a reason for physical decline. It could also be injury, conditioning, something like valley fever. I don't know, but he is a lot smaller and came into the league on a team with a lot of known users.

I definitely don't think he is phoning it in either. He has a lot of pride in winning, that's shown in the past.

I would like to hear Nick himself admit he is not getting the job done. Every interview he does is happy go lucky BS.

Not sure what you expect him to say. Not like he's gonna say he wants to retire or anything. This is why I didnt like trading Hoes, because he is ready to step in if Markakis isnt brought back in 2015. Hoes has a 840 OPS for Houston.

Not sure what you expect him to say. Not like he's gonna say he wants to retire or anything. This is why I didnt like trading Hoes, because he is ready to step in if Markakis isnt brought back in 2015. Hoes has a 840 OPS for Houston.

Forget Hoes and his temporary OPS. Come back with that in a month.

I just want Nick to show he is humbled, and admit he is not getting the job done. I always was like that when I played. If I stunk, I told everyone that came my way.

Not really calling for it but for a RF he is batting since the allstar game he is opsing 589. His average is only 250 and his slugging is a horrid 258. Cesar Izutris out slugged Nick when he played here. Its bad 9th inning he just stared at three strikes. I think he needs a rest and more then just 1 game. We really need his help down this stretch and he is hitting nothing.

I thought about this today...he needs to sit for a couple of games.

Dying here, because he should be - he's a rich man.

If something is wrong, then Markakis is guilty for hiding it and being an absolute black hole in the O's offense. If not, then it's yet another dude in orange and black with minimal production killing the payroll.

I have a better chance of starting in RF as Nick does getting benched.

It has to be the wrist. Before that dum@#$% hit him last year he was on pace for one of his better offensive years. 192 hits, 20HR, 43 doubles, slugged .471. Ever since then it has been straight downhill, it isn't a coincidence.

Bad news is that if the wrist ain't better by now, it probably never will be.

I suggested this several times, and my inbox got lit up with neg reps. Some people here are living in fantasy land.

There is no way Nick is getting benched. He is laughing all the way to the bank while the ship sinks.

Gee, I can't imagine why you got neg rep previously, if your criticism of Markakis was delivered as tactfully and intelligently as this. :rolleyes:

Who could possibly think that Markakis is somehow enjoying the fact that he's struggling? When did people stop thinking before they post?

Playing him every day says the team values the extra defense they think he brings over the big drop in offense we've seen since June. Since June 1, his OPS is .597. Nick, the league leader in singles, needs to sit a couple times a week.

The problem is what options do we have at this point to play RF? Davis did fine their last season, but wasn't gold glove by any means. I wouldn't have Davis switch to the outfield this year. Pearce and Flaherty played a handful of games there last season, and may be alright for a spot start. Flaherty has tied Nick in HRs and is a couple percentage points higher in SLG.

I really doubt Duquette has the support of ownership to move Markakis in the offseason, even if he were to find a buyer. Someone smarter than me can calculate what he is being paid this season versus his production, and how he would have to do in 2014 to earn $15M. If only we can structure a deal to pay him more in even numbered years instead of odd;)

Archived