Adam Jones on XM

baltfan

Assuming the Orioles make no more moves.....

are they really out of it for 08?

they would have a rotation that still had bedard, guthrie and Loewen in it. the lineup would look something like this:

Roberts

Mora

Markakis

Millar/Huff/ Left Fielder ( forget his name)

R. Hernandez

Patterson/Redman

L Hernandez

Left fielder/ millar/huff

DH ( whoever)

And I think the bullpen will be better than what it was. Im excited to see what Sarfate can do.

Is this assuming that we resign Patterson? and are you moving Sarfate to the closers roll? We clearly need a power hitting CF, decent offense but great defense SS and power hitting DH and a solid closer/setup man, to even be able to have a .500 season.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The alleged aborted deal was Gallagher , Marshall, & Cedeno per Tony's contacts

I would take Gallagher ... I believe he could be a possible 2 .... Just my opinion

Would not say no to Miller, but durability seems to be a big question.

I would take that....I;d rather have EPat and Murton instead of Marshall and RC...but that's better than nothing like we have now.

We've simply got to get rid of some of the vets on this team, if nothing else but for chemistry reasons. The past few seasons we've had some real whiny veterans who disrupted the clubhouse when things weren't going well - can you imagine the fury that will rain down if they're left to trudge along and play a full season with no Miggy or Bedard? It's going to be b!tch b!tch b!tch, and when Trembley should be penciling younger guys into the lineup, he'll have guys like Mora and Payton in his ear complaining about playing time.. Oh, the humanity!

Is this assuming that we resign Patterson? and are you moving Sarfate to the closers roll? We clearly need a power hitting CF, decent offense but great defense SS and power hitting DH and a solid closer/setup man, to even be able to have a .500 season.

well, if we don't resign patterson, i think tike redmon will get a lot of playing time in his place. I like the way he plays. Freddie Bynum is another option.

I saw an interesting baseball stat, the gist of which is that the orioles infielders weren't getting to as many balls as most other infielders. I truly think Luis Hernandez is going to surprise people at SS.

I agree about the power hitting DH-- its amazing we haven't been able to develop a masher over the years. nobody capable of batting .260 and 25 homers.

on the issue of the bullpen-- why do we feel like we need to have a closer? How many times has there been a situation where one pitcher was cruising through the 7th or 8th, getting people out etc and have the coach bring in the closer or the next pitcher because its what everyone else does?

Yeah, if you have a guy who is like a Papelbon or Rivera or Putz etc it makes sense to give him the ball with the one or two run leads in the 9th....

but if you don't have that guy, why treat a guy like that?

Last year i think we were a bridge too far in the bullpen. I'm not saying Sarfate will be the savior to the bullpen, but he could be another guy who can maybe pitch in the 3.50 era ballpark, and get guys out more often than not in a pinch. And hes younger too.

My first post! I was just doing a little research on Cleveland's Miller. It looks like TB offered Delmon Young straight up for him and was rejected. Here is a quote from Rotoworld...

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians turned down a trade for Delmon Young when the Rays asked for Adam Miller.

The newspaper speculates that Cleveland countered with Cliff Lee, but Tampa Bay ended up getting a Miller-like young starter from Minnesota in Matt Garza. "We'll always be reluctant to trade starting pitching," general manager Mark Shapiro said, "But every player has a value. If the value makes sense, we will examine it." Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Dec. 3 - 10:39 am

I can't imagine that Cleveland would choose to take RBob over D. Young, right?

well, if we don't resign patterson, i think tike redmon will get a lot of playing time in his place. I like the way he plays. Freddie Bynum is another option.

I saw an interesting baseball stat, the gist of which is that the orioles infielders weren't getting to as many balls as most other infielders. I truly think Luis Hernandez is going to surprise people at SS.

I agree about the power hitting DH-- its amazing we haven't been able to develop a masher over the years. nobody capable of batting .260 and 25 homers.

on the issue of the bullpen-- why do we feel like we need to have a closer? How many times has there been a situation where one pitcher was cruising through the 7th or 8th, getting people out etc and have the coach bring in the closer or the next pitcher because its what everyone else does?

Yeah, if you have a guy who is like a Papelbon or Rivera or Putz etc it makes sense to give him the ball with the one or two run leads in the 9th....

but if you don't have that guy, why treat a guy like that?

Last year i think we were a bridge too far in the bullpen. I'm not saying Sarfate will be the savior to the bullpen, but he could be another guy who can maybe pitch in the 3.50 era ballpark, and get guys out more often than not in a pinch. And hes younger too.

Suprise how? We expect his defense to be good. His bat is what's bad....and he's a switch hitter.

We say 'closer' but what we actually mean is: "anybody with a heartbeat who can get someone out". Right now, Walker and Bradford ARE the bullpen, and they can only pitch to certain hitters.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seems to have become the de-facto Bedard trade info and speculation dump.

Many here have lamented that we're not shopping Bedard within the division, because the Yankees and Sox could drive up the asking price, or give us a lot of propsects, helping us and hurting them in the window we intend to compete. But while reading a Mariners Blog in the Seattle Times, I found this nugget which, if true, should let McPhail off the hook a little:

New York and Boston are sitting this one out because Bedard doesn't want to play in either place

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2008/01/closing_the_gap.html#start_comments

If this is true, and NY and Boston know it's true, it would go a long way toward explaining why we haven't been negotiating with them.

Suprise how? We expect his defense to be good. His bat is what's bad....and he's a switch hitter.

We say 'closer' but what we actually mean is: "anybody with a heartbeat who can get someone out". Right now, Walker and Bradford ARE the bullpen, and they can only pitch to certain hitters.

i am a firm believer in the saying that winning is contagious. likewise, so goes losing.....

If he plays solid defense, makes enough plays to keep us in games...once he gets his at-bats as an every day player, I think his average will improve.

On the Bullpen: you are never as bad as you think you are on your worst day. I think 2007 bullpen was rock bottom, plagued by overuse, mismanagement and poor performance. we shall see.

In your link it says

So they'd probably need to play musical chairs before getting Mora as well.

Well, we could take Helms back...I don't want him here because it just ends up taking up a roster spot but he should be easy enough to move and if not, we could alwas cut him and eat his salary...Not that big of a deal.

Well, we could take Helms back...I don't want him here because it just ends up taking up a roster spot but he should be easy enough to move and if not, we could alwas cut him and eat his salary...Not that big of a deal.

I don't think they'll dump Mora and get back no mid level prospect, just so they can play Scott Moore.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

i am a firm believer in the saying that winning is contagious. likewise, so goes losing.....

If he plays solid defense, makes enough plays to keep us in games...once he gets his at-bats as an every day player, I think his average will improve.

On the Bullpen: you are never as bad as you think you are on your worst day. I think 2007 bullpen was rock bottom, plagued by overuse, mismanagement and poor performance. we shall see.

Thats what we said after 2006. See 2007.

Archived