Adam Jones on XM

baltfan

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you think about it, the 2 packages have similar values.

Gallagher has been healthier and is probably more of a sure thing than Miller but he doesn't have Miller's upside.

Cedeno and Barfield probably have similar values when you consider service time.

Marshall and Gutz are both tweeners...IE Marshall is a 4/5 guy or maybe long reliever and Gutz is going to be your 3rd best OFer(in all likelioohd) or a very good 4th OFer.

Take Marshall out and put Murton in, and you've got two offers that are directly comparable in each element.

Gallagher <> Miller: All depends on whether you prefer Miller's upside to Gallagher's production, even with the injuries.

Murton <> Gutierrez: Age favors Gutierrez but I'd feel very confident predicting Murton has the better career... better MiLB numbers and more power potential.

Cedeno (or Patterson) <> Barfield: Easy to argue for either guy, but this is more or less a wash: Both guys have a big flop year on their record. Barfield has had a decent MLB year though. Cedeno has the better numbers in the high minors, and more defensive value.

Now IMO the biggest questions are a) is Miller really on the table, and b) is Miller plus two others really on the table.

If the Tribe did indeed turn down Delmon Young for Miller, then it's hard to see this Roberts rumor having any legs at all.

Take Marshall out and put Murton in, and you've got two offers that are directly comparable in each element.

Gallagher <> Miller: All depends on whether you prefer Miller's upside to Gallagher's production, even with the injuries.

Murton <> Gutierrez: Age favors Gutierrez but I'd feel very confident predicting Murton has the better career... better MiLB numbers and more power potential.

Cedeno (or Patterson) <> Barfield: Easy to argue for either guy, but this is more or less a wash: Both guys have a big flop year on their record. Barfield has had a decent MLB year though. Cedeno has the better numbers in the high minors, and more defensive value.

Now IMO the biggest questions are a) is Miller really on the table, and b) is Miller plus two others really on the table.

If the Tribe did indeed turn down Delmon Young for Miller, then it's hard to see this Roberts rumor having any legs at all.

Your right about the comparison aspect IMO.

I think that the Cubs offer is more valuable to the O's for their experience alone. That and I just really like Murton and Gallagher.:D

Personally I'd pretty much take any package including Miller over just about anything the Cubs have been rumored to offer. I'm not sure where this Miller rumor came from (or how this became a Roberts thread) but if we can get him, we definitely ought to. No question he's better than Gallagher.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/news/top50/y2008/

Here are the quotes from Jones on MLB on XM's blog:

"I have not heard anything. I try to keep contact with our organization but, the last time I talked with our G.M he just said you’re not going to play for a couple days we are in the process of doing all this we don’t know what’s going on yet. So hang tight for a couple days and we will get back to you so hopefully I can play Monday cause we are in the playoffs and we are in First place and I wanna be there for the guys. but if I’m not there physically I am definitely there emotionally on the bench.”

http://mlbonxm.blogspot.com/2008/01/adam-jones-talks-about-potential-trade.html

I'm starting to feel something is close. The trade winds are blowing and for once it doesn't seem like it's hot air...

I'm holding to my prediction that Bedard is traded this week...

I hope you're a decent weatherman, most have a tough time predicting the weather. In this case, it's about time for things to start blowing.

Can't see the Phillies having interest in Mora, nor should they. They've got Greg Dobbs for 3B, who is a much better player than Mora (or at least should be).

Are you kidding me?? Dobbs was not good at all last year...and Mora would be an upgrade over him.

Are you kidding me?? Dobbs was not good at all last year...and Mora would be an upgrade over him.
Dobbs had a .781 OPS in 324 ABs last season. Mora hit worse than that (although over a full season, and Philly is a hitter's friendly park) and is going to be 36 next season.

I'll admit to not having any idea about Dobbs' defense, but if I had to choose between Mora and Dobbs for next season, I'm probably sticking with Dobbs if I already have him rather than commit myself to ~$10M to Mora over the next two years.

I'm starting to feel something is close. The trade winds are blowing and for once it doesn't seem like it's hot air...

I'm holding to my prediction that Bedard is traded this week...

Well I predicted last week and I was wrong. Hopefully you are right. This week is vital as far as trades are concerned. After this week they need to start filling whatever holes they need to fill with FA's. Pitchers and cathers report 3 weeks from today, I believe. As long as Bedard is traded, I would not mind if we kept Roberts.

My first post! I was just doing a little research on Cleveland's Miller. It looks like TB offered Delmon Young straight up for him and was rejected. Here is a quote from Rotoworld...

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians turned down a trade for Delmon Young when the Rays asked for Adam Miller.

The newspaper speculates that Cleveland countered with Cliff Lee, but Tampa Bay ended up getting a Miller-like young starter from Minnesota in Matt Garza. "We'll always be reluctant to trade starting pitching," general manager Mark Shapiro said, "But every player has a value. If the value makes sense, we will examine it." Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Dec. 3 - 10:39 am

I can't imagine that Cleveland would choose to take RBob over D. Young, right?

Welcome to the board, glorydays.

I think you're misreading the article. Nowhere does it say that the Rays offered Young straight up for Miller. I think it means that the Indians turned them down when they asked Miller to be part of the return package (it's poorly written, I know).

Archived