Angelos article in Baltimore Business Journal "...he's not going to change"

TradeAngelos

Supposed to be a multi part series, this is from part 1.

Some rather interesting quotes here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2013/08/26/peter-angelos-feels-the-sting-after.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_baltimore+%28Baltimore+Business+Journal%29&page=4

Of course you do. Don't they get it? Your name is the one - the only one - on the door. You take personal responsibility for every brief, every trial, every settlement. Nothing happens at that firm that doesn?t pass through your hands. "He doesn't trust anyone," is how someone who worked by your side for more than a decade describes you, with incredulity but also a hint of admiration. "The only person he trusts is himself."

"We didn't trust anybody," says former Baltimore Mayor Tommy D'Alesandro, who has known you since shortly after you arrived in Baltimore as a 10-year-old in 1939. "It was a question of survival. I think Pete's success is still a reflection of the hardness from that decade. He won't let it go. Whatever faults he has, he lives with them. Whatever method of operation of dealing with the law practice or the baseball franchise, that's how he is. And he's not going to change."

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sounds good, but the way Angelos has handed over the reigns to Buck and DD shows that he IS capable of change. If you want a higher payroll, fine, but does anyone really doubt that DD and Buck are in charge of the baseball side of things?

See what happens if DD tries to trade Nick in the offseason.

If you do not think this organizion has changed over the last 5 years you are not paying attention. The ushers, the food, Sarasota, the stadium, the statues, the trades, the team on the field and the winning. Hate the guy all you want. This organization changed the day the sweater vest walked through that door and it was because Peter trusted him.

If you do not think this organizion has changed over the last 5 years you are not paying attention. The ushers, the food, Sarasota, the stadium, the statues, the trades, the team on the field and the winning. Hate the guy all you want. This organization changed the day the sweater vest walked through that door and it was because Peter trusted him.

Which is why Vlad got signed, because Andy really wanted him. :rolleyes:

Oh wait that was a classic Angelos move.

Really, that is what you come with. A free agent signing? I thought he was cheap?

I came up with a clear example of a signing that was not the type GM was known for but was exactly the type the owner is known for. That is an example that disputes your point that PA doesn't still meddle.

We can debate the food. Lines seem longer then ever. Delaware North also gave the Orioles more money to run the concessions so that is a win foir Peter. The stadium upgrades were paid with Maryland Stadium Authority money. We shall see what happens with the on field product. When some of the Orioles come up for free agency could be interesting.

Archived