Angelos article in Baltimore Business Journal "...he's not going to change"

TradeAngelos

Maybe sell wasnt the right word. Back away is more like it. I do wonder what made him back away and let Duquette run things. Was it the minority owners? Or was it MLB?

IMRAOAO... I think it was between Buck already being here (hand picked by PA) and DD's interview, I think Big Peter just finally found two people he trusted. The dual contracts thru 2018 convince me of that.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I were to make a guess I would say one or both of his sons.

That would be nice.

The colts did better when Daddy Irsay stepped aside for his son.

Maybe there is hope for this team with the boys.

Usually, the off-spring don't always have the same fire and drive as their father.

That would be nice.

The colts did better when Daddy Irsay stepped aside for his son.

Maybe there is hope for this team with the boys.

Usually, the off-spring don't always have the same fire and drive as their father.

They also get to learn from their fathers mistakes. In a lot of ways I think having a child take over a team can be beneficial, except for maybe a team like the Lakers.

I think Angelos changed when he had to. After baseball reputation became destroyed. Which it pretty much was after 2011. Even the Sun had an opinion piece asking Angelos to sell the team. I really think MLB was ready to step in and ask him to sell.

Me too, because Lord knows MLB can always use more raised middle fingers from crusty, old Greek superlawyers.

Do you have to try to win to be profitable?

lmost no one in the Houston Astros organization is making big league money. The highest-paid player is pitcher Erik Bedard, who is playing on a one-year, $1.15 million contract. No one else is pulling in over $1 million a year. That is, no one besides Jim Crane, who owns the worst team in the majors and is quietly making more money than any baseball owner in history.

The Astros are on pace to rake in an estimated $99 million in operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) this season. That is nearly as much as the estimated operating income of the previous six World Series championship teams — combined.

Yet the Astros are 43-86, worst in the majors. Of the 270 Major League Baseball teams who have taken the field since 2005, none have finished with a worse winning percentage than Houston’s.

They have become so profitable thanks to slashed payroll expenses and soaring television revenues.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2013/08/26/2013-houston-astros-baseballs-worst-team-is-most-profitable-in-history/

There is nothing in this article, and nothing in this thread, that hasn't been said about Angelos 1,000 times before. It's idle speculation as to how much Angelos is involved in baseball or front office personnel decisions today. It could be signficant, or not. I'm sure he lays down some budget guidelines, and whether they are justified or not, they are what they are. Whatever they are, Duquette and Showalter have done a pretty good job of building a winning team within those parameters, and I hope they can continue to do so.

Do you have to try to win to be profitable?

lmost no one in the Houston Astros organization is making big league money. The highest-paid player is pitcher Erik Bedard, who is playing on a one-year, $1.15 million contract. No one else is pulling in over $1 million a year. That is, no one besides Jim Crane, who owns the worst team in the majors and is quietly making more money than any baseball owner in history.

The Astros are on pace to rake in an estimated $99 million in operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) this season. That is nearly as much as the estimated operating income of the previous six World Series championship teams — combined.

Yet the Astros are 43-86, worst in the majors. Of the 270 Major League Baseball teams who have taken the field since 2005, none have finished with a worse winning percentage than Houston’s.

They have become so profitable thanks to slashed payroll expenses and soaring television revenues.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2013/08/26/2013-houston-astros-baseballs-worst-team-is-most-profitable-in-history/

I think they risk running afoul of the powers-that-be. The last time the Marlins, and maybe the Pirates, tried this stuff there was at least discussion and public jaw-flapping about enforcing the CBA paragraphs that say revenue sharing dollars are supposed to go towards on-field improvements.

But this is what happens when you have revenue sharing and no mechanism to punish bad teams. There's little incentive besides getting the MLBPA and Bud mad at you to make huge investments that probably won't result in big revenue gains. The Astros could have doubled their payroll and still finished last.

I think they risk running afoul of the powers-that-be. The last time the Marlins, and maybe the Pirates, tried this stuff there was at least discussion and public jaw-flapping about enforcing the CBA paragraphs that say revenue sharing dollars are supposed to go towards on-field improvements.

But this is what happens when you have revenue sharing and no mechanism to punish bad teams. There's little incentive besides getting the MLBPA and Bud mad at you to make huge investments that probably won't result in big revenue gains. The Astros could have doubled their payroll and still finished last.

They could have doubled their payroll and still been 29th in payroll. (and that was OD payroll)

They also get to learn from their fathers mistakes. In a lot of ways I think having a child take over a team can be beneficial, except for maybe a team like the Lakers.

Sometimes it seams with the fathers that are self-made men, their off-spring are a bit spoiled and silver spoon entitlement chip on their shoulder, and no real business sense and they dont have that fire in their belly that drives them to succeed. Just my own thoughts.

They could have doubled their payroll and still been 29th in payroll. (and that was OD payroll)

Well... if you were going to probably finish last no matter what you did, and you had a choice between a $20M profit and a $90M profit, I know which one I'd pick.

Maybe a solution would be that revenue sharing only can cover payroll bills. If you're owed $50M in revenue sharing but your pre-revenue sharing revenue covers all but $12M of your payroll you only get $12M.

You watched one out-of-town owner, Edward Bennett Williams, try to hijack the team to D.C.
If it wasn't for the insistence of that "out-of-town owner," we wouldn't have Oriole Park today. This series of articles might as well have been written by Seinfeld, a show about nothing.

Sometimes it seams with the fathers that are self-made men, their off-spring are a bit spoiled and silver spoon entitlement chip on their shoulder, and no real business sense and they dont have that fire in their belly that drives them to succeed. Just my own thoughts.

I don't disagree. I just hope that the Angelos sons have seen what has and what hasn't worked during their father's tenure and learn from that. Peter jumped right in, his sons will have the benefit of being around the team for more than 20 years before they take full control. If they were paying attention that should give them a head start.

I don't disagree. I just hope that the Angelos sons have seen what has and what hasn't worked during their father's tenure and learn from that. Peter jumped right in, his sons will have the benefit of being around the team for more than 20 years before they take full control. If they were paying attention that should give them a head start.

We can only hope and pray, but remember Angelos trusts no-one, so he doesn't delegate, and he doesn't mentor people, how much can you actually learn, by never doing? You got to learn by doing, of course, just my thoughts.

Archived