The negativity has got to stop!!! (MAJOR RANT)

orioleslist

I agree 100% orioleslist, but it won't stop. I blame the death of The Sun board. Overflow from Roch commenters.

Eh poor attack on the Sun Board. I was from the Sun board two years ago until they started charging......their negativity was no differnent or extreme than here. I've lurked here for years when I posted there so I have a reasonable right to compare.

However, I thank the OP because I was about to start a thread today about the same subject because I came on to read how we've charged hard back into the race only to see 7 negative posts in the top 10.

I'm 31 years old and any winning season at this point is a dream to the 14 years I and all of us had to endured.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read this entire thread so here's my two cents.

I understand some of the frustration and I'd be lying if I said there are certain posters that can be annoying with their same mantra. Saying that, and I've said this before, some of the people who constantly complain about the negativity and shout down even the best laid out criticisms can be just as bad. This is a discussion board, and the vast majority of what people want to discuss are ways to improve the team and that means there may be some criticisms involved.

We have rules on this board and if you see someone break them we encourage you to report the post so the moderators can take actions. Calling players names is one of those rules. I have no issues with people saying a player stinks or is no good if that's their opinion, but calling them losers or idiots does break rules and will be taken care of with infractions that could lead to bannings.

As for the game thread, if you are looking for analysis I'd probably steer clear. The game thread by its very nature is emotional. I'll never understand why people get some upset at other people for venting in a game thread. That's what the game thread is for. It's the place where the rules are a bit relaxed (but not gone) and where you can react with other fans through the good and the bad. Some people find it therapeutic to grieve or moan with others that feel the same way. Things get said in there that the person doesn't really believe. It's an emotional place and it's not for everyone. I enjoy going in there on occasion. It's like hanging out with a bunch of other Orioles fans while watching the game, but I don't take things too seriously in there.

In this thread I've heard people say numerous times that they don't frequent the board because of its negative tone. Well, that's certainly your right, but don't blame others for that. When the Orioles are losing, things are going to be more negative than positive, but as I've said probably 100 times, within these threads a lot of times the good posters come in and statistically prove the OP wrong. There is value in that. Some people may have had the same feelings that a negative OP stated but after Frobby comes behind them and shows them the the Orioles are actually 3rd in the league with RISP during the month, it goes to show them that it's not really the issue, even if it was for a game or two or three.

Everyone is different. If you can't personally handle the "negativity" than don't read those threads or put the person on ignore. If the same person is saying the same thing in every thread than that becomes trolling and should be reported (both negative and positive).

By opening up the board to free posting, we've allowed a lot of people who would not post here otherwise. That's both good and bad. Obviously some people don't want to be good cyber friends when discussing things and have their mantra. As long as they don't troll or break rules, I don't see why we should take action. If you argue that they destroy your enjoyment of the board, I would argue that you should never allow a person or persons to destroy your enjoyment and if they do, the Ignore function of this board is your friend.

Not every thread on here is going to be a great one, but we still have a lot of great discussion. Whether they win or lose, this is the place to talk O's for a lot of people, but I know it's not always going to be the perfect place all the time for everyone. I guess in the end, you have to make the Hangout be what is should be for you. Some people enjoy just reading and others like getting into the fray. My goal has always been to make the Hangout an inclusive place where people can express all points of views respectfully with everyone.

Please remember though, this is a large community with a lot of different people from different age brackets, income, religion, politics and geographic areas. We have thousands of people who post here every day. Odds are, you are not going to like everyone, but as long as they can discuss things respectfully, I think there is room for just about everyone.

I understand some of the frustration and I'd be lying if I said there are certain posters that can be annoying with their same mantra. Saying that, and I've said this before, some of the people who constantly complain about the negativity and shout down even the best laid out criticisms can be just as bad. This is a discussion board, and the vast majority of what people want to discuss are ways to improve the team and that means there may be some criticisms involved.

We have rules on this board and if you see someone break them we encourage you to report the post so the moderators can take actions. Calling players names is one of those rules. I have no issues with people saying a player stinks or is no good if that's their opinion, but calling them losers or idiots does break rules and will be taken care of with infractions that could lead to bannings.

As for the game thread, if you are looking for analysis I'd probably steer clear. The game thread by its very nature is emotional. I'll never understand why people get some upset at other people for venting in a game thread. That's what the game thread is for. It's the place where the rules are a bit relaxed (but not gone) and where you can react with other fans through the good and the bad. Some people find it therapeutic to grieve or moan with others that feel the same way. Things get said in there that the person doesn't really believe. It's an emotional place and it's not for everyone. I enjoy going in there on occasion. It's like hanging out with a bunch of other Orioles fans while watching the game, but I don't take things too seriously in there.

In this thread I've heard people say numerous times that they don't frequent the board because of its negative tone. Well, that's certainly your right, but don't blame others for that. When the Orioles are losing, things are going to be more negative than positive, but as I've said probably 100 times, within these threads a lot of times the good posters come in and statistically prove the OP wrong. There is value in that. Some people may have had the same feelings that a negative OP stated but after Frobby comes behind them and shows them the the Orioles are actually 3rd in the league with RISP during the month, it goes to show them that it's not really the issue, even if it was for a game or two or three.

Everyone is different. If you can't personally handle the "negativity" than don't read those threads or put the person on ignore. If the same person is saying the same thing in every thread than that becomes trolling and should be reported (both negative and positive).

By opening up the board to free posting, we've allowed a lot of people who would not post here otherwise. That's both good and bad. Obviously some people don't want to be good cyber friends when discussing things and have their mantra. As long as they don't troll or break rules, I don't see why we should take action. If you argue that they destroy your enjoyment of the board, I would argue that you should never allow a person or persons to destroy your enjoyment and if they do, the Ignore function of this board is your friend.

Not every thread on here is going to be a great one, but we still have a lot of great discussion. Whether they win or lose, this is the place to talk O's for a lot of people, but I know it's not always going to be the perfect place all the time for everyone. I guess in the end, you have to make the Hangout be what is should be for you. Some people enjoy just reading and others like getting into the fray. My goal has always been to make the Hangout an inclusive place where people can express all points of views respectfully with everyone.

Please remember though, this is a large community with a lot of different people from different age brackets, income, religion, politics and geographic areas. We have thousands of people who post here every day. Odds are, you are not going to like everyone, but as long as they can discuss things respectfully, I think there is room for just about everyone.

Well said and agree 100 percent.

I'm staying positive for the O's...sure their chances of winning the division are slim, but they are only 2 down in the wild card and if we get to the dance, anything can happen. I'm of the theory that they chip a couple of games off the red sox each week for the next 3 and that series in Bmore at the end of the year could be quite interesting. Just keep winning and I think we not only make it, but are a very dangerous team in the playoffs this year.

Are you saying here that the moderators have been a bit lax recently but are going to start cracking down? Or am I misreading that?

Also, what's the best way for alerting a moderator of a trouble maker? What exactly are you looking for and how should we alert you when we think we've found it? PM one mod? All the mods? Post in the thread itself?

Are you saying here that the moderators have been a bit lax recently but are going to start cracking down? Or am I misreading that?

Also, what's the best way for alerting a moderator of a trouble maker? What exactly are you looking for and how should we alert you when we think we've found it? PM one mod? All the mods? Post in the thread itself?

You can just hit the report post button. The triangle with the exclamation point.

vvvvvvvvv right there.

If you look down to the bottom of this post there is a little triangle that says report post when you click on it. If it were me I would start there.

You can just hit the report post button. The triangle with the exclamation point.

vvvvvvvvv right there.

If you look down to the bottom of this post there is a little triangle that says report post when you click on it. If it were me I would start there.

Ahh good stuff. Thank you gentlemen. I would still like to know exactly what the mods are looking for, however, so I'm not simply reporting each and every poster I'm merely "annoyed" with ;)

Ahh good stuff. Thank you gentlemen. I would still like to know exactly what the mods are looking for, however, so I'm not simply reporting each and every poster I'm merely "annoyed" with ;)

You can't report people for being annoying, just for breaking board rules - personal insults, religion, politics, repeated trolling, reporting false news, repeated blatant spelling/grammar errors, stuff like that.

Well, anything that breaks the board rules.

Let me clarify something, calling the Orioles losers is not against the rules although I'd prefer a more tasteful approach. Calling an individual player a loser or an idiot is against board rules. We probably take action on about 75% of the posts reported. About 25% are not breaking board rules and may be a poster just upset with the other poster.This board does a very good job already of self-moderating itself and that's mostly because we have so many long time members who want this community stay a great place. We take action when we absolutely have to, but for the most part, we haven't had to ban too many people this season. Most of the time an infraction gets the persons attention and most want to stay so they shape up.

BTW, please don't report things to us like, "Why can this guy say this but I can't?" I mean seriously, let's try to be adults here. We don't always catch everything and if a board rule is broke, by all means report it, but please don't waste our time with trivial stuff. Trust me, the kid that cries wolf ends up being ignored pretty quickly.

There's a reason I hardly wade in to the GT these days, and when I do, I'm barely commenting on the game but constantly cracking jokes or trying to be funny in response to others. Trying to do my part to balance the ledger in there. But they've definitely gotten worse since last seasons success. I'd say the rest of the forums are just more bi-polar than usual, the same sort of things that have always led the way in O's Talk are still there, just in more frequency and quicker to turn from bad to good (and vice versa).

Archived