Brian Roberts

Uli2001

I pretty much stayed away from commenting on Roberts while he was out, mainly because I was against signing him to a four-year deal and it just seemed like it would be piling on. I never thought he was dogging it, and I'm happy for him that he has been able to play and contribute. He does get some key hits, but overall his contribution isn't outstanding. Some people seem to take it as a sign that "he's back" when he gets a big hit or turns a good play, but you don't need a scout's eye or a ream of statistics to see he is not the player he used to be.

I don't think there is anyone who would argue that 2013 BRob is nearly as good as 2009 BRob. Nobody. But he's had his moments, has been good in the clutch, and hasn't embarrassed himself.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I freely admitted there were some crackpot posters out there. I took umbrage at the idea that "many posters mocked" Roberts. Maybe I am just old and thick skinned but making a quip about Roberts or Reimold and the DL, or a joke about Wieters being slow isn't mocking in my book.

Mocking- to attack or treat with ridicule, contempt, or derision.

I don't think the over/under till DL joke was any of the above.

"mock?er?y synonyms: ridicule, derision, jeering, sneering, contempt, scorn, scoffing, teasing, taunting, sarcasm "

Pick your synonym and I bet you could find examples. It really doesn't matter. For me, there were two important spoken and unspoken themes in the original post. First, Brian deserves respect for what he's given to the O's over the years, but what he got from too many posters was far from that. Second, he has been a pleasant surprise to his doubters, i.e., me and almost all the rest of us. The first theme makes the second that much more pleasing to many of us.

In a 162 game season Roberts is on pace for 131 hits, 25 doubles, 61 runs, 9 hr, 95 rbi, and 10 stolen bases. He is also putting up those numbers on less AB's/game than his career Ab's/game. So with less opportunities, he is still putting up numbers that are def helping this team. I believe he will only get more and more comfortable the more he plays. He hasn't had consistent baseball for a long time, and with what he has shown and the heart and soul he has put into this team, he should get another year or two IMO.

For all you Ryan Flaherty lovers out there: In a 162 game season Ryan Flaherty is on pace for 100 hits, 17 doubles, 48 runs, 17 hr, 42 rbi, and 4 stolen bases. just wanted to point that out.

Roberts has had 173 AB's, Flaherty has had 220 AB's(more than enough to establish himself as the teams best 2b option with good playing). I can't understand anyone who would think Flaherty is the best option going forward.

I don't know about you, but it brings me a warm feeling to see the resurgence of Brian Roberts. Many said he was done, many mocked him. To many, he represented the Orioles losing past. And now he gets a chance to prove them wrong and be a real contributor to a playoff push, after being on so many bad teams with the Orioles. Seeing him bash out there is like a blast from the past.

I agree with you 100%, but be prepared for people to throw stats at you claiming he's terrible.

I freely admitted there were some crackpot posters out there. I took umbrage at the idea that "many posters mocked" Roberts. Maybe I am just old and thick skinned but making a quip about Roberts or Reimold and the DL, or a joke about Wieters being slow isn't mocking in my book.

Mocking- to attack or treat with ridicule, contempt, or derision.

I don't think the over/under till DL joke was any of the above.

I like you dude, but yes, you are being thick headed here. The "crackpot posters" you allude to were many. I won't go through all the things George Z mentioned above, but there were threads after threads bashing BRob, and yes, mocking him, even by your definition. Either way, I'm glad to see BRob contributing to the team. And since Roy brought up Nick, man alive did BRob pick up Nick and the entire team when he got that two run base hit after Nick had that running blunder earlier in the inning.

I don't think there is anyone who would argue that 2013 BRob is nearly as good as 2009 BRob. Nobody. But he's had his moments, has been good in the clutch, and hasn't embarrassed himself.

He's not horrible. He's just not somebody you want to pay millions of dollars to. With his service time that is what he will command. A lot of people feel an emotional attachment to Roberts with him being the longest tenured Oriole and all, but he's not worth the money.

He's not horrible. He's just not somebody you want to pay millions of dollars to. With his service time that is what he will command. A lot of people feel an emotional attachment to Roberts with him being the longest tenured Oriole and all, but he's not worth the money.

The problem is that with guaranteed contracts, the Orioles pay him whether he plays every day at second base or zero days. There is no scenario in which DD/Buck could have elected for him not to make $10M this season. He was a sunk cost, so I'm not sure why him not currently being worth his contract is a counterpoint to what you're quoting.

The problem is that with guaranteed contracts, the Orioles pay him whether he plays every day at second base or zero days. There is no scenario in which DD/Buck could have elected for him not to make $10M this season. He was a sunk cost, so I'm not sure why him not currently being worth his contract is a counterpoint to what you're quoting.

I was talking about resigning him next year.

Nothing changes around OH.

Just another week.

1/3 of the OH praising the ground that B-Rob walks on. :)

1/3 of the OH cursing the ground and his first born. :)

Which leaves the rest of us to ponder, are they actually talking about the same person? :)

If only we were platooning him with Ryan Roberts, then it would get really confusing.

I was talking about resigning him next year.

Fair enough then.

Out of curiosity, Is there a contract that you would be happy bringing him back at? I wouldn't mind seeing him as a bridge to Schoop next season (along with RF) at something like 1/3M. Now, whether he accepts that or not would be a whole different discussion entirely.

Fair enough then.

Out of curiosity, Is there a contract that you would be happy bringing him back at? I wouldn't mind seeing him as a bridge to Schoop next season (along with RF) at something like 1/3M. Now, whether he accepts that or not would be a whole different discussion entirely.

I asked this question in another of the BRob threads, and Tony said something along the lines of Roberts would not accept that type of deal.

I asked this question in another of the BRob threads, and Tony said something along the lines of Roberts would not accept that type of deal.

Alright. Does he have much of a choice though if he wants to play in the majors next season, though? Maybe he'd rather retire, who knows. I am curious, just as a point of discussion (ignoring the reality that B-Rob has be willing to sign said contract), what is the o/u number that those here would feel comfortable bringing him back at.

Also, sorry if I'm duplicating discussion already had at length. Don't remember seeing this exact discussion (so many B-Rob threads to stay on top of :o ).

I don't see how Brob couldn't accept a 1 yr 3mill contract. He has already made his money, he just wants to play.

Archived