Brian Roberts

Uli2001

He's a "good enough" player right now, and he's still getting his legs under him, I think. This is the longest stretch he's played in quite some time. Maybe his range isn't gonna get any better, but he's "good enough", and he's .264 in July (his first month back), and .353 in August. And it looks like he's riding that hot August right into Sept. So if he strings together 3 solid months to end the season, good for him. There's still nobody in the organization that's ready to be better than him right now. So 1yr/3M-5M seems reasonable to me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's not horrible. He's just not somebody you want to pay millions of dollars to. With his service time that is what he will command. A lot of people feel an emotional attachment to Roberts with him being the longest tenured Oriole and all, but he's not worth the money.

What do you think he will command next year? I don't see him getting more than about $2 mm. Maybe $3 mm at most. One-half of a decent season at age 35, after 3.5 year mostly on the DL, doesn't fetch more than that on the open market.

I asked this question in another of the BRob threads, and Tony said something along the lines of Roberts would not accept that type of deal.

Brob is not high on Tony's character radar for the mere fact he claimed the second base position in preseason. IMO so what he says that, I am glad he thinks he is going to be starting, I am glad he has the confidence. Nate McClouth had to accept a cheap deals to get righted. I think Brian would do the same. He may go to another team with that deal most likely though.

If Roberts had put up the last five seasons as a Detroit Tiger how many of you would be advocating signing him to a one or two year deal next season?

There is a lot of confusion going on in this discussion. While some of us are saying Roberts has done an admirable job this season, I don't think many of us necessarily want him back for next season.

There is a lot of confusion going on in this discussion. While some of us are saying Roberts has done an admirable job this season, I don't think many of us necessarily want him back for next season.

I know that. Some are however, including one poster that was willing to go two years.

I will admit he has been better then expected.

I know that. Some are however, including one poster that was willing to go two years.

I will admit he has been better then expected.

2 year, only if the 2nd year is optional by either party.

I think injury past, prevents a longer deal, but given his status as a veteran, I would go for the 1 year with 2nd option.

I think injury past, prevents a longer deal, but given his status as a veteran, I would go for the 1 year with 2nd option.

I would go one year at a reasonable rate with an option year, but the option year would have to be a team option and/or a vesting option.

Why would you give more than a year to a guy who has been healthy about three months of the last four years and will be 36? Oh and can't play anywhere but 2b, should never DH.

The real question is will the team offer him a one year deal this offseason?

So, you shifted the thread pretty quick. I thought OP's statement was a good one, in light of all the dumping that went on towards Roberts. A shame people can't just chill a bit and express some good will for a situation like this.

I think Roberts would get the same kind of deal McLouth did this year. Kind of a lets take a $2-3 million chance on someone who was down and out but recently has shown a resurgence. If Brian took such an offer as an insult, I would have no issue letting him go elsewhere. Frankly, absent his "okay numbers thus far the second half, he was inline for nothing more than a minor league invite next year.

Archived