Buck needs to go? What?!?!?

claudecat

Common sense ain't so common, after all.

I got an idea, let's just leave the managers and coaches outta game day. Appoint a captain and co-captain, and let the team handle everything themselves. How much you wanna bet that the win differential is like +/-2? :D

The Cubs employed the 'College of Coaches' in 1961 and 62. Each coach, 8 of them, managed part of the season.

The O's should do the same, but with a twist. Let Buck manage the first 6 innings, do all the preparation before the game that he's good at, like painting the foul poles, and let someone else manage the last 3 innings of the game, preferably someone without a 'closer' mentality. He would only be used if Buck's first 6 innings produced a lead of 3 runs or less, thus the first Managerial Save if he holds it.

And how was your day?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bucks fine IF I was going to pick a bone with him this year its his not sitting Nicky and running JJ out there throwing all those blown saves.

How many games did it cost us who knows.

Ultimate responsibility for this teams let down falls on the players and if you wanted to pick a group the pitching, STARTING AND BP, has been down right AWFUL since the break. You can't give up GOFER balls at the rate this crew has and expect to contend for a division or PO spot.

There still a chance but this team has been a .500 club for the last 100 games if they are going to do something they are going to have to AT least put together something like a 6/10 game run and hope the teams in front falter.

One post and I'm done, but I've got to say that this statement is astounding in how wrong it is. You're taking too above average situations regarding the hitting (hitters with flaws that are well above average and a hitting coach who has helped more players than he has hurt from all appearances) and stating with confidence that it is better "safe than sorry" to just replace both. It is completely naive and silly to believe that two B to B+ situations will automatically become A- to A+ situations if change is instituted. This just isn't how life works. Hopefully you'll learn that before it really messes up your life.

Let it be. He just has a fetish on this. It's not real. Shout it long and loud enough though...and you'll get followers.

Sigh, knew it would come one day. I think both by his general demeanor, and now his reputation, it was only a matter of time before he was turned on by any given fanbase. Whether it's deserved or not. I wonder if all those stories about how he's changed (or way different than his rep said he was stories O's players have told) will hold up here, though. I was kinda hoping he'd find a little more stable success here, instead of what's happened to the guy so far in his career (honing a team right to the point of a keen edge, then getting dumped and the keys getting handed off to another guy for the easiest coaching job they'd ever get...or the Altobelli, if you will. ;) ).

That old cliche, what has he done lately.

Unfortunately, 14 years of HELL are conveniently forgotten, when people start stomping their feet for change. SMH

So it's your opinion that people never change and all situations are the same?

The great news is all the people who want him gone will have until 2018 to torment themselves over it. And he'll have whatever coaches he wants until at least 2017.

Arizona and New York agreed Buck should go after 3 seasons. Were they crazy?

Seriously? Bringing up New York.

Even Jeter says in his book, it was a mistake by King George. King George did one of his famous knee jerk relations and wanted Buck to fire his entire coaching staff and replacement them.

Buck said no.

Buck was fire.

End of story.

Seriously? Bringing up New York.

Even Jeter says in his book, it was a mistake by King George. King George did one of his famous knee jerk relations and wanted Buck to fire his entire coaching staff and replacement them.

Buck said no.

Buck was fire.

End of story.

And some people here want to do the same thing to Buck. Make him fire HIS coaches. Pfft!

Look I know it's the players who play and Duquette definitely needs to get the players that will work the count and get on base and that will be solid pitchers, but the instruction has to change as well. Rick Adair really hasn't made much of a difference unlike Rick Peterson. Buck also needs to scrap this "time to HP" garbage as I think it has done more harm than good. I also realize under Presley that the team has a lot of power and a good BA - but their OBP performance and seemingly every member of the team trying to hit a HR in a clutch situation is what is killing this team right now. And the situational hitting has been an issue two years in a row now and has sabotaged the club. Better to be safe than sorry and change both the players and coaching for a new sense of direction.

I can't help myself. On what basis do you think Rick Peterson has "made a difference." People were gaga for him last year, I guess giving him full credit for Tillman and Gonzalez. Maybe it was deserved or maybe not but I never figured out how folks knew. I'm not against Peterson or for him I just don't get how so many posters have strong opinions about coaches.

I can't help myself. On what basis do you think Rick Peterson has "made a difference." People were gaga for him last year, I guess giving him full credit for Tillman and Gonzalez. Maybe it was deserved or maybe not but I never figured out how folks knew. I'm not against Peterson or for him I just don't get how so many posters have strong opinions about coaches.

Its the OH and everybody has strong feelings about everything! Book it! :)

Perhaps like Tom Boswell said,things just did not go right. It happens in baseball. Davis has a career year and still the Orioles might finish worse then last year.

Many, including me, tend to focus on the fate of top players. That’s why teams whose seasons don’t mirror the play of their stars often mystify us. Part of the dark magic of the game is that even after you analyze everything that can be measured, then given some vague weight to intangibles, many teams’ seasons still don’t seem to make sense. That is because no word is more central over six long months than “team.”

“Our problems this year isn’t about ‘losing our swagger.’ The ‘Natitude’ is still pretty good. The talent is here. Our clubhouse is good,” Johnson said. “But a team needs 25 players that function together and fill their roles, not 15 or 20 or even 22. All the parts have to fit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/for-washington-nationals-small-problems-add-up-to-big-disappointment/2013/09/04/997e551e-15a7-11e3-a2ec-b47e45e6f8ef_story.html?tid=pm_sports_pop

It would be monumentally stupid to fire Buck or Duquette. This season is looking like a disappointment, but we're just one season removed from the playoffs, and even this year's O's are a million times more fun to watch than any O's team from 1998 through 2011.

I happen to think that Buck and DD are having some disagreements over player usage and roster moves, and I sincerely hope that they can work things out and move forward as a team for many years to come.

Archived