Buck needs to go? What?!?!?

claudecat

By the way, I didn't say I was happy about it. My choice of words was quite deliberate. I'm content with it. Not happy.

Did the Orioles have a mostly competitive season? Yes.

Did the Orioles finish over .500? Most likely.

Did the Orioles have a bunch of exciting players to watch? Yes.

Did the Orioles disappoint, or did they meet or exceed expectations? There's a good argument for either met or exceeded.

Did they make the playoffs? Probably not.

Did they win the Championship? Very unlikely.

Do they have a strong foundation? Yes, reasonably strong.

Do they have any roadblocks that keep them from acquiring talent to win next year: Just Angelos.

I look at all of that and think they had a pretty ok year, disappointing in some respects, but also entertaining for the most part, and leaving me fairly hopeful for the future. Certainly better than most of the past 15 years. I'll take that, even if that makes me a loser.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure that if a poll was posted asking if Buck should be back next year, 90-95% would say yes. The other 5-10% speak loudly, but I don't take them very seriously. Buck's guys have each other's backs, play hard, and for the most part, play smart. Buck fosters that, and there is no sign at all that the players aren't behind him all the way. That's the end of the discussion so far as I'm concerned, even though Buck has his flaws.

As to the coaches, I strongly suspect Adair is gone. His absence wasn't really explained, just as Connor's sudden retirement wasn't really explained and Willie Randolph's shift from bench coach to 3B coach wasn't explained honestly (IMO). I'll be shocked if Adair is back next year. The real question is whether the O's go with an internal solution (Castro, Peterson, Griffin) or reach outside the organization.

As for Presley, I'm pretty sure the Orioles haven't finished this high in the league in runs scored in 15+ years, so there's absolutely no reason to replace him, even though I am disappointed that the team doesn't stress OBP more.

I happen to think that Buck and DD are having some disagreements over player usage and roster moves, and I sincerely hope that they can work things out and move forward as a team for many years to come.

I happen to think that is just a NY rag attention getter.

I'm pretty sure that if a poll was posted asking if Buck should be back next year, 90-95% would say yes. The other 5-10% speak loudly, but I don't take them very seriously. Buck's guys have each other's backs, play hard, and for the most part, play smart. Buck fosters that, and there is no sign at all that the players aren't behind him all the way. That's the end of the discussion so far as I'm concerned, even though Buck has his flaws.

As to the coaches, I strongly suspect Adair is gone. His absence wasn't really explained, just as Connor's sudden retirement wasn't really explained and Willie Randolph's shift from bench coach to 3B coach wasn't explained honestly (IMO). I'll be shocked if Adair is back next year. The real question is whether the O's go with an internal solution (Castro, Peterson, Griffin) or reach outside the organization.

As for Presley, I'm pretty sure the Orioles haven't finished this high in the league in runs scored in 15+ years, so there's absolutely no reason to replace him, even though I am disappointed that the team doesn't stress OBP more.

True, but that is more of a roster construction issue then something that can be addressed with a hitting coach at the major league level.

True, but that is more of a roster construction issue then something that can be addressed with a hitting coach at the major league level.

But the only way we can really tell is to get a coach who won't accept poor strike zone judgment and get him to try his darndest to turn Adam Jones into Wade Boggs. You know, just to be safe.

But the only way we can really tell is to get a coach who won't accept poor strike zone judgment and get him to try his darndest to turn Adam Jones into Wade Boggs. You know, just to be safe.

I'm more worried about somebody like Manny Machado than I am Adam Jones. It's like in July somebody told him to start trying to hit HRs instead of doubles or singles and his OBP dropped as a result. In August he did better, but now he's back to swinging for the fences again.

I'm more worried about somebody like Manny Machado than I am Adam Jones. It's like in July somebody told him to start trying to hit HRs instead of doubles or singles and his OBP dropped as a result. In August he did better, but now he's back to swinging for the fences again.

Do not confuse changing results with changing approach. There is an interaction between batter's approach, pitchers' approach, batter's execution, pitchers' execution, defense, park, luck, quality of opposition, and a little bit of influence from coaching. It's possible that nothing but luck in outcomes has changed with Manny. That could entirely explain the results we've seen over the year. The connection between (approach + coaching) and results is not even remotely as direct as you would like.

Buck has had some gaffes, but he is a great manager.

We need some kind of organizational change to help pitchers go deeper in games.

We need some players that aren't free swingers. We need some others to regain power and others to top. 230.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Buck has had some gaffes, but he is a great manager.

We need some kind of organizational change to help pitchers go deeper in games.

We need some players that aren't free swingers. We need some others to regain power and others to top. 230.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

And, needless to say, that's more Duquette's responsibility than Buck's. I'm sure DD sees the problems clear as day and will do what he can within the budget limitations.

Archived