2008: Chris Waters

2007: Erik Bedard

2006: Daniel Cabrera

2005: NONE

2004: Sydney Ponson (2)

2004: Daniel Cabrera

2004: Rodrigo Lopez

* Season Still in Progress

The * should be for umpire assisted shutout. The ump really blew that call at home that denied the White Sox a run.

The game has changed a lot. Mike Mussina had four shutouts by himself in 1992 and 1995 for the O's. Jim Palmer threw 10 in 1975. The team twice threw 19 complete game shutouts (1969 and 1975). The 1974 Orioles threw 5 shutouts in a row on September 2-6, 1974 (Grimsley, Cuellar, Palmer, McNally, Cuellar), the first two of which were in a doubleheader where they won both games 1-0, and the last two of which also were in a doubleheader (where they won 2-0 and 1-0).

It should be noted that this performance, in Texas, was one of the best pitching performances in MLB history.

That is not an exaggeration. It was a game score of 98, which is astronomical. He looked like a video game pitcher, the movement was astounding.

I'd really love to see this game again. I miss vintage EriK sometimes.

What year was it that the O's went the whole year without a shutout, then the last week of the season they had 4 or 5?

My mind was a little fuzzy on this one. I was thinking about the right year (1995). But I think it was they didn't have a shutout going into the last two months of the season. Then reeled off 7 in the last two months and handful of days.

But they did finish the season with 5 straight shutouts.

My mind was a little fuzzy on this one. I was thinking about the right year (1995). But I think it was they didn't have a shutout going into the last month of the season. Then reeled off 7 in the last month and handful of days.

Wasn't it the season we had the big run at the end and it cost us Tex in the draft?

OsEatAlEast said:
o
What year was it that the O's went the whole year without a shutout, then the last week of the season they had 4 or 5?
o

o

In 1995, the Orioles' final 5 games of the season were all shutouts, with 4 of them coming as complete-game shutouts ...... 2 for Mike Mussina, 1 for Scott Erickson, and 1 for Kevin Brown.

However, they had not gone the entire season previous to those final 5 games without any complete-game shutouts. They already had had 3 of them ...... 2 by Mussina (giving him 4 for for the season overall), and 1 by Erickson (giving him 2 for the season overall.)

So in total, the 1995 Orioles had 7 complete game shutouts, with 4 of them coming in the final 5 games of the season, and with all 5 of said (final) games being overall shutouts ........ in the next-to-the-last game of the year, Ben McDonald (6 innings), Jimmy Haynes (2 innings), and Jesse Orosco (1 inning) all combined for a shutout against the Tigers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1995-schedule-scores.shtml

o

In 1995, the Orioles' final 5 games of the season were all shutouts, with 4 of them coming as complete-game shutouts ...... 2 for Mike Mussina, 1 for Scott Erickson, and 1 for Kevin Brown.

However, they had not gone the entire season previous to those final 5 games without any complete-game shutouts. They already had had 3 of them .... 2 by Mussina (giving him 4 for for the season overall), and 1 by Erickson (giving him 2 for the season overall.)

So in total, the 1995 Orioles had 7 complete game shutouts, with 4 of them coming in the final 5 games of the season, and with all 5 of said (final) games being overall shutouts ........ in the next-to-the-last game of the year, Ben McDonald (6 innings), Jimmy Haynes (2 innings), and Jesse Orosco (1 inning) all combined for a shutout against the Tigers.

That's it! They went 12-3 in the last 15 games. I remember how good I felt going into the 1996 season because of the last two weeks of 1995.

However, they had not gone the entire season previous to those final 5 games without any complete-game shutouts. They already had had 3 of them .... 2 by Mussina (giving him 4 for for the season overall), and 1 by Erickson (giving him 2 for the season overall.)

Funny how the mind plays tricks. I remembered that the Orioles had closed a season with a string of shutouts, but I thought it had happened in the Palmer era, not the Mussina era.

Frobby said:
o

Funny how the mind plays tricks. I remembered that the Orioles had closed a season with a string of shutouts, but I thought that it had happened in the Palmer era, not the Mussina era.

o

o

You may be also thinking of 1971, when the Orioles had 4 shutouts in the final 8 days of the season (September 21st through September 29th), with 3 of them being complete-game shutouts (1 by Dave McNally, 1 by Pat Dobson, and 1 by Jim Palmer.)

The 4th shutout was a combined one against the Red Sox on the last day of the season, with Grant Jackson going 5 innings, Tom Dukes going 2 innings, and Eddie Watt going 2 innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1971-schedule-scores.shtml

o

Archived