Trade rumor

DIPPER24

Personally, I'd be torn between b and c.

No way I'd trade Ray and Penn for Baldelli, even though he's my mom's favorite player. His free-swinging ways are a big negative-- he walked only 14 times last year.

I'd give up Ray and Penn for Crawford, but not for Rocco.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I'd be torn between b and c.

I think Erbe's gonna be real good, but he's still a ways away and thus far from a sure thing. It'd be hard to give him up, even though Crawford > Baldelli.

If Baldelli was healthy, I'd consider that trade, but I just don't see him being a guy who can play 150 games a year.

Baldelli is not the impact player Crawford is. If you are going to give up that much cheap quality pitching you need to get an impact player.

Simply put: no to Baldelli. It's either Crawford or you sign one of Guillen, et al and trade Rlo for Mench. Keep the young pitching and start to look for a young 1B to get.

Pick one:

a) Loewen + Ray + Olson/Liz for Crawford

b) Penn + Ray + Erbe for Crawford

c) Penn + Ray for Baldelli

d) Loewen for Baldelli

e) None of the above

JMHO of course, but I'd say those are all pretty realistic in terms of matching needs with values.

A) This one is out. Loewen is not going to be traded.

B) This is the best looking package.

C) Like Mackus said awful lot to give up for a guy who can't stay healthy, and like Paul said he's a free swinger.

D) Way to much to give up for Baldelli. Half the people on here would be jumping of the Woodrow if that deal was made, and I'd be right behind them.

Pick one:

a) Loewen + Ray + Olson/Liz for Crawford

b) Penn + Ray + Erbe for Crawford

c) Penn + Ray for Baldelli

d) Loewen for Baldelli

e) None of the above

JMHO of course, but I'd say those are all pretty realistic in terms of matching needs with values.

I pick D.

Crawford is an amazing talent, but I think people are significantly overrating him as a baseball player.

I pick D.

Crawford is an amazing talent, but I think people are significantly overrating him as a baseball player.

Guess you'd be one of the people watching us all jump then.

Trading Loewen for a free swinging injury plauged guy like Baldelli would be insane.

I pick D.

How can you overrate a guy as a baseball player with great defense, 50+ steal capability, and an 800+ OPS at the age of 25?

Gibbons represents negative value for TB. They've got a boatload of better players that cost $350K, not $5M.

OK, I thought someone earlier in th thread indicated the Rays were looking for a power hitting 1B. Either way, I wouldn't mind adding a propsect in Gibbons' place - maybe someone like Jim Johnson, Beau Hale, Sendy Rleal. I realize that might not get it done but even though Crawford's a really nice player, if we were to give the Rays too many pitching prospects, not only would it diminsh our depth but if they panned out to their peak projected level it would be hard to have to watch from a division opponent. We're already behind the Red Sox, Yakees & Blue Jays. If we do too much to aid the Devil Rays rebuilding directly, we're almost negating the effects of obtaining someone like Crawford.

How can you overrate a guy as a baseball player with great defense, 50+ steal capability, and an 800+ OPS at the age of 25?

I think you just explained how. An .800 OPS is nothing special for a LFer. There's no question he has the Potential to be a superstar, but he's not there. As for his defense, I think it says something that he's not a CFer - despite his phenominal athleticism. Ironically, the guy who plays the much more important position of CF is who you're poopooing. He's the same age as Crawford, and his OPS was 41 points higher than Crawford's last year. Baldelli proved his health and ability by coming off a year and a half of inactivity and performing at a higher level than Crawford.

I am still not convinced any deal where Penn is the MLB-ready centerpiece will get Crawford. If they trade Crawford they are looking for a strong #2 to plug in right behind Kaz in 07, one that they will have under control for some time. I don't think many Os fans think Penn is ready to do that by April, and I don't see why the Rays would feel that way either. I think Loewen or perhaps Bedard has to be at the top of a package, and I don't see that happening.

As for the original rumor... you have to have a very low impression of the Os front office if you really believe that deal could be done and we haven't done it yet.

As for the original rumor... you have to have a very low impression of the Os front office if you really believe that deal could be done and we haven't done it yet.

Nobody said the deal was on the table and the Orioles are holding off on it. The sentence was that the Orioles denied the rumor, probably because a package like that won't get Crawford in return.

Please just stop it. Please. The Rays aren't giving him up. He made 2.6 million last year, had monster numbers on a crappy team and just continues to get better and better every year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=5035

Florida's Cabrerra is probably the only guy comparable for the age and money.

Sizemore is better than both, IMO.

Umm...that package wouldn't be CLOSE to getting Crawford. Sounds like Tom was taking a shot in the dark. I don't think he has an "in" with the organization...at least not one that would put out a rumor that has no chance in Hades of happening.

Yeah, I think that shot was a triple bourbon. What do the DRays need with Gibbons and Fio? They want cheap young pitching. Ray is just the beginning of a deal for Crawford..

Archived