Should Tillman be considered an ace?

andrewrickli

For the record, the list above is not a random listing compiled subjectively. Before railing against it, keep the following in mind:

CYP: In The Neyer/James Guide To Pitchers -- co-authored by Bill James and ESPN.com's Rob Neyer presents a method, based on past results, to predict Cy Young balloting. This page provides an in-season snapshot of the Cy Young "race," as figured by the following formula: Cy Young Points (CYP) = ((5*IP/9)-ER) + (SO/12) + (SV*2.5) + Shutouts + ((W*6)-(L*2)) + VB (see below).

VB: Victory Bonus is a 12-point bonus awarded for leading your team to the division championship

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, FWIW:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

ESPN's AL Cy Young Predictor as of today...

1. Scherzer, DET

2. Nathan, MIN

3. Rivera, NYY

4. Colon, OAK

5. Holland, KC

6. Sanchez, DET

7. Reed, CHW

8. Johnson, BAL

9. Tillman, BAL

10. Wilson, LAA

Not saying I agree with it, but I'm guessing he get's a handful of #5 votes and ends up at like 20 in the voting. Again, I'm not suggesting he deserves to win, but I think he will be named on a few ballots, so I disagree with the notion that he "will receive zero Cy Young consideration."

To me consideration means someone could actually take home the thing at stake. Whatever that may be. Tillman has absolutely, no shot.

What I will say is that selfishly (for Tillman really) I think even having the little Cy-xx number on his baseball reference page will be huge for him career-wise (right next to the little AS). Having been a prior vote getter, it raises his profile that much more for the award in the future as well as ASG consideration. Doesn't necessarily help the team win games (although the recognition and wins are driven by the same thing, performance), but it's nice to see our guys receive national recognition.

That's more than half a run. That's huge in today's game. And you ignored FIP. Chris Tillman will receive zero Cy Young consideration. I guarantee it.

Well, we have to agree to disagree, I think you are dead wrong.

Tillman does not deserve to win the CY Young, but to be mentioned as a nominee is a nice feather in his career bio.

Well, FWIW:

1. Scherzer, DET

2. Nathan, MIN

3. Rivera, NYY

4. Colon, OAK

5. Holland, KC

6. Sanchez, DET

7. Reed, CHW

8. Johnson, BAL

9. Tillman, BAL

10. Wilson, LAA

Not saying I agree with it, but I'm guessing he get's a handful of #5 votes and ends up at like 20 in the voting. Again, I'm not suggesting he deserves to win, but I think he will be named on a few ballots, so I disagree with the notion that he "will receive zero Cy Young consideration."

I think we can discount any poll that has Jim Johnson ranked AHEAD of Tillman as a Cy Young candidate!!! :eek:

They want to list MO. And Essentially Jim and Rivera are the same guy this year. Except that Jim has a few more saves and a couple more BS.

They want to list Mo as a lifetime achievement award and as much as I loathe the MFY.... I can understand that, sorta.

If Max Scherzer doesn't win this award, I will laugh aloud.

Well, FWIW:

1. Scherzer, DET

2. Nathan, MIN

3. Rivera, NYY

4. Colon, OAK

5. Holland, KC

6. Sanchez, DET

7. Reed, CHW

8. Johnson, BAL

9. Tillman, BAL

10. Wilson, LAA

Rivera as #3? Are you kidding me?

I've heard of nice retirement gifts, but a Cy Young is ridiculous.

For that matter, JJ probably doesn't deserve to be on there, either. Not this year.

To me consideration means someone could actually take home the thing at stake. Whatever that may be. Tillman has absolutely, no shot.

I disagree.

Phil Hughes, Jon Danks, Lucas Harrell... those bums have "absolutely no shot." Tillman has 4 starts left, and has at least put himself in a position where, if he can perform extraordinarily over the rest of the season, could put himself into the Cy conversation. Say he wins his last 4 and averages 7 innings and 1.5 runs per start (great, but not like I'm asking for 4 straight CG shutouts!), leaving him at 20-5 with an ERA around 3.45. Sure, he'd need Scherzer and maybe Colon to completely fall off the table in Sept, but if Tillman's final charge got us into the postseason, I'd say he'd be in contention.

After hearing from virtually everyone that the Ravens had "absolutely no shot" to win the Super Bowl when the playoffs started this past January, I've learned that such hyperbole is best left for players/teams that really have NO shot. Tillman still has a better chance, however slim, than most other AL pitchers. The season ain't over.

They want to list Mo as a lifetime achievement award and as much as I loathe the MFY.... I can understand that, sorta.

If Max Scherzer doesn't win this award, I will laugh aloud.

Guy on ESPN, made a really good case for King Felix to win.

If the thing isn't rigged for Mo, then its a 2-man race between Max and Felix.

Well, FWIW:

1. Scherzer, DET

2. Nathan, MIN

3. Rivera, NYY

4. Colon, OAK

5. Holland, KC

6. Sanchez, DET

7. Reed, CHW

8. Johnson, BAL

9. Tillman, BAL

10. Wilson, LAA

Where is Sale?

That's more than half a run. That's huge in today's game. And you ignored FIP. Chris Tillman will receive zero Cy Young consideration. I guarantee it.

I doubt most Cy Young voters care a whit about FIP. I agree Tillman won't get any Cy Young consideration, but FIP has nothing to do with it. He's 19th among qualifiers on the ERA list and that's all the reason anyone needs. I'd expect Scherzer and Darvish to finish 1-2, barring a meltdown by either one in their last 3-4 starts. Tillman might get a couple of 5th place votes, if any (how many guys do they vote for?).

Who cares about FIP? It's a future performance indicator. It has no bearing on what has actually already happened, which is what awards are based on.

Archived