Nick Hasn't Bunted Since 2007?

Rene88

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This came up with Gary & Jim during the telecast and I was really dumbfounded. Really? 2007? Don't you think it is about time he learn how to execute a bunt? Geesh. That is absurd. Then he hit into a DP, amazing.

I was kinda surprised at that one myself. Its one thing for power hitters not to give up outs with bunts. But a slap hitting singles hitter? Yeah, learn to bunt Nick. We could have used it there. Nice to see Manny pick him up though!

There are 94 players who've had at least 1000 at bats since 2006 and zero sacrifice hits. That includes such mighty sluggers as Sean Casey, Danny Valencia, Matt LaPorta, Emil Brown, Kevin Millar... Probably the most similar hitter to Nick over the last 3-4 years is Michael Young, and he's not sacrificed, either.

Maybe a few of them have bunted for a hit, that's harder to figure out.

I was kinda surprised at that one myself. Its one thing for power hitters not to give up outs with bunts. But a slap hitting singles hitter? Yeah, learn to bunt Nick. We could have used it there. Nice to see Manny pick him up though!

Not saying he shouldn't know how to bunt, but even when considering pitchers hitting there are only a few limited circumstances where it makes sense. For even a bad regular position player the opportunities to bunt and increase win expectancy are limited to situations like 9th inning, no out, runners on 1st or 1st and 2nd. Nick might be in that situation a couple times a year.

Considering the money he is getting paid, it is absurd he doesn't know how/ refuses to bunt. Name another job where you make millions of dollars and can't/won't do a part of the job that you're getting paid to do. Unreal.

Is this coming from somewhere? I know Nick has had an awful year this year but is bunting supposed to be the answer? It's not like he's even particularly fast.

I agree with what Drungo said that bunting doesn't even help you most of the time except in very specific situations (unless you have blazing speed of course).

Considering the money he is getting paid, it is absurd he doesn't know how/ refuses to bunt. Name another job where you make millions of dollars and can't/won't do a part of the job that you're getting paid to do. Unreal.

Name another job where you're expected to perfectly execute something that requires a lot of practice and skill but you're only called up to do it once every few years.

I think you need to consider that it might be counter-productive to have him regularly practice something that is very rarely used, and necessarily not do something more productive with that time.

How do we know he refuses? Maybe it's not something buck and Presley thought he'd need to do much and don't want him spending his time focusing on it or working on it. Perhaps he's tried it and is just not good at it, so they don't want him giving an out away (before you say he already is, it's more effective for him to take a k as a free out than a bad bunt). Unless you have some info that he's being insubordinate re:bunting, I don't understand the ire.

In all fairness to some on this thread, they didn't say he refuses but they strongly implied he cannot so it wasn't an option.

So this is all based on an inference from something they said in passing on the telecast? I thought I'd stepped out of the room for a minute and Nick failed to get a bunt down.

Yea, why not rip a guy for being a failure at something that he was never asked to do?

Name another job where you're expected to perfectly execute something that requires a lot of practice and skill but you're only called up to do it once every few years.

I think you need to consider that it might be counter-productive to have him regularly practice something that is very rarely used, and necessarily not do something more productive with that time.

Combat Medic.

I said he can't/won't. I'm not saying he is refusing, but it has to be one of those two options.

As far as giving him a pass bc his time might be spent better elsewhere, he has been a professional for 11 years now. How long would you say someone needs to be at a job before they are expected to perform all aspects of that job? I don't care if my employee only does that task once a year, if I'm paying him millions of dollars you bet your *** I would expect him to not only know but be good at it after 11 years on the job. I'm not sure why this is such a crazy expectation to some.

Archived