Ask Dan Duquette

weams

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like to ask him how he sees the 25M increase in revenue for each club from the national TV affecting the off season player acquisitions?
Good luck getting him to talk anything budget related.
The best part? Well for me anyway, I was able to ask Dan a question about payroll. As you might expect, I noted how we should see at least another $10M from MASN depending on the negotiations with the Nationals, MLB is giving us an additional $25 million in 2014, and we just had a 20% increase in attendance. I continued, "the spin in the media is that Reynolds was in part a financial decision." Now if money is tight for 2013, when does he anticipate being able to spend more and maybe get payroll to $100 million?

"So what's your question? When can we spend more money?" Yes, we have more money from operations and also from the industry coming in. He didn't see the benefit in discussing payroll in public. We need to be cost effective and one way to do that is through our farm system. Also, we have more than enough resources to have a competitive team year after year.

Good luck getting him to talk anything budget related.
"Also, we have more than enough resources to have a competitive team year after year." this says it all. We do have a "competitive" team. We don't have a WS team and we probably won't as long as PA is around.

This offseason is the time to spend big and really go for it. The Orioles didn't do that this year. If PA doesn't do it this year, it will never happen. This team has some great puzzle pieces. We desperately need to upgrade 2B, LF, DH, and add pitching. It can't all come from the farm system. There was the time when signed Palmeiro and Alomar in their prime. Make those type of bold moves and we contend the next 5 years.

I wasnt referring to any FA. Just one even that we coveted. We have never outbid any team

in Free Agency for a coveted player. Its just a fact. Koji wouldve made our season IMO.

Roy, pretty hard to say Koji would have made our season, who knows, maybe he pulls his hammy or quad and he spends 2 months on the DL? Baseball is a fickle thing.

Would you be happy with Pujols or Hamilton?

Sometimes going after high price talent fails, remember Belle and Glen Davis?

You can't specifically pin point players and say that's why it's a bad idea to get into a bidding war. I guarantee you Cano's performance next year will be great.

Archived