Ask Dan Duquette

weams

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't read through this whole thread, so I'm going to offer up a few...

1) Dan, if you have come to an impasse on signing Matt Wieters to a long-term deal, would you consider trading him before he leaves via free agency?

2) Would you consider extending JJ Hardy for a couple of more years? If not, do you intend to move Machado to SS after Hardy leaves or would you target the best player available (third baseman or shortstop) and position Machado accordingly?

3) Do we have the resources to acquire a top of the rotation starter?

4) Do we have the resources to go after international talent? There wasn't much published about any of our international signings, so is it safe to say we won't be targeting top players in international free agency?

5) Should we expect the Orioles to look into upgrading the left field position this offseason?

1) Dan, if you have come to an impasse on signing Matt Wieters to a long-term deal, would you consider trading him before he leaves via free agency?

2) Would you consider extending JJ Hardy for a couple of more years? If not, do you intend to move Machado to SS after Hardy leaves or would you target the best player available (third baseman or shortstop) and position Machado accordingly?

4) Do we have the resources to go after international talent? There wasn't much published about any of our international signings, so is it safe to say we won't be targeting top players in international free agency?

5) Should we expect the Orioles to look into upgrading the left field position this offseason?

They did announce that they signed a couple of kids earlier this week.

Good questions. No way any GM would answer that truthfully in public.

They did announce that they signed a couple of kids earlier this week.

I'm a pretty good follower of any Orioles news and I was not aware of any signings. I think this makes my question a little more relevant. We don't spend big money on FA's and we don't spend big money on any International FA's.

Chen was a good one. The jury is out on Urrutia. I don't know that there are any other International guys we've sign ready to move up the ladder.

I'm a pretty good follower of any Orioles news and I was not aware of any signings. I think this makes my question a little more relevant. We don't spend big money on FA's and we don't spend big money on any International FA's.

Chen was a good one. The jury is out on Urrutia. I don't know that there are any other International guys we've sign ready to move up the ladder.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-pregame-notes-gausman-urrutia-davis-two-international-signings-20130908,0,755267.story?track=rss

The Orioles have signed two international players, according to Fred Ferreira: Right-handed Dominican pitcher Olelky Peralta, a 16-year-old whose fastball sits between 93 and 97 mph. The 6-foot-4, 185-pounder signed for $325,000. The Orioles also inked 18-year-old Venezuelan outfielder Jorge Gil. The 6-foot-1, 185-pound right-handed hitter is expected to have power. He signed for $30,000.

I didn't bother making a thread about it and I guess no one else did either.

Of course if you ask me if I believe the O's signed a 16 year old with a 93-97 MPH fast ball for 325K...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-pregame-notes-gausman-urrutia-davis-two-international-signings-20130908,0,755267.story?track=rss

I didn't bother making a thread about it and I guess no one else did either.

Of course if you ask me if I believe the O's signed a 16 year old with a 93-97 MPH fast ball for 325K...

Thanks for posting this.

Actually, I call it a wash.

Last Year Davis/Reynolds hit 51 home runs for the season.

This year with 17 games to go, Davis has 49. I doubt we have got more than a small handful from our DH this year.

"Handful":

19 homers, 57 RBI, slash line: 232/290/412 - 702 OPS

Davis at 49 + 19 homers = 68 with a few weeks left.

Archived