Ask Dan Duquette

weams

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Handful":

19 homers, 57 RBI, slash line: 232/290/412 - 702 OPS

Davis at 49 + 19 homers = 68 with a few weeks left.

Our DH stats have improved a lot over the last 4-6 weeks, thanks to Danny Valencia, who has a 1.011 OPS as our DH in 105 at bats. Since his August 4 recall, Valencia has a 1.549 OPS, all in games he started as a DH (he was moved to 3B during one game).

Generally speaking, the guys who played poorly at DH did much better when playing in the field.

Reimold .485/.859

Pearce .603/.733

Dickerson .581/.778

Roberts .550/.721

Wieters .436/.720

You can either conclude that they're all guys who just don't hit as well when they DH, or you can conclude that it is one of those fluky things that happens in a relatively small sample.

Our DH stats have improved a lot over the last 4-6 weeks, thanks to Danny Valencia, who has a 1.011 OPS as our DH in 105 at bats. Since his August 4 recall, Valencia has a 1.549 OPS, all in games he started as a DH (he was moved to 3B during one game).

Generally speaking, the guys who played poorly at DH did much better when playing in the field.

Reimold .485/.859

Pearce .603/.733

Dickerson .581/.778

Roberts .550/.721

Wieters .436/.720

You can either conclude that they're all guys who just don't hit as well when they DH, or you can conclude that it is one of those fluky things that happens in a relatively small sample.

Reminds me of something I think was said by Harold Baines. Takes more to be a DH then most people realize and to keep your mind in the game, when you are only sitting on the bench. If I remember, didn't he used to go down to the batting cage and hit balls while the opposing team was batting.

The Q&A

<iframe src='http://wapc.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=30548603&topic_id=33026172&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

ETA:

The first fan question is will the Orioles consider using Transcendental Meditation in order to perform better in one-run games? I kid you...not.

Archived