Clevenger/Wieters Platoon in 2014?

Shabadoo25

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe we could get Jurrjens for Adam Jones as well
Wieters' only major asset right now is his arm. Sure he hits for power, but he's terrible against RHP in BA and OBP. He won't be worth the money he gets in arbitration, yet his reputation is still good enough so he could probably net a good arm. The Braves won't want to spend on a C like McCann in his 30's and Wieters went to GT and his father played in the Braves system, so he's got ties to the area and organization. The Braves certainly have a plethora of arms that the Orioles could use.

Forget that, trade Wieters and start Clevenger and use Joseph as a backup. Wieters to the Braves for pitching makes a ton of sense.

I don't know if I'd hand Clevenger a starting job but I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Wieters before he hits free agency. Not necessarily this off season but at some point I think its a wise idea. I don't think the O's will pay him what he could get elsewhere. Not to mention he doesn't strike me as a catcher that will be able to hold up in his later years and may end up a 1B/DH kind of guy and his bat just absolutely does not play there. But then again maybe it could if he focused more on offense than defense? I've heard him say his defense is a priority. I digress...

Wieters' only major asset right now is his arm. Sure he hits for power, but he's terrible against RHP in BA and OBP. He won't be worth the money he gets in arbitration, yet his reputation is still good enough so he could probably net a good arm. The Braves won't want to spend on a C like McCann in his 30's and Wieters went to GT and his father played in the Braves system, so he's got ties to the area and organization. The Braves certainly have a plethora of arms that the Orioles could use.

Yeah, lets sell low on one of the best catchers in the game...great idea.

Well Salty is a FA. What would you give him? Both are switch hitting catchers and Weiters career OPS is .08 better. Weiters is 1 year older. Salty you can probably get for 3/18-21. Weiters will want 10+ easy. BORAS.
I like Salty, but he'll get a big deal from somebody that they will regret in a few years. The Orioles can get by with a platoon of Clevenger and Joseph IMO.

Yeah, lets sell low on one of the best catchers in the game...great idea.

Wieters is ranked 14th in fWAR this season of catchers with 300+ PAs. He's not one of the best catchers in the game anymore, however since people still think like that obviously, this would be the offseason to sell him before that reputation wears off.

I hope this isn't the drum you'll beat on all winter.

Archived