With yesterday's HR, is there ANY chance Chris Davis could get MVP?

markakis8

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cal Ripken of 1991 says hello

In a year where he was so far above and beyond the other candidates.

1991 Top 5 vote getters (rWar)

1. Ripken (11.5)

2. Fielder (3.7)

3. Frank Thomas (7.0)

4. Jose Canseco (5.3)

5. Joe Carter (4.7)

The AL playoffs (only 2 teams then) were the Twins versus the Blue Jays and neither team had a truly dominant player that year.

I am of the opinion the MVP should be awarded to the best player, but I realize that's not how it works in this game. I still think Cabrera has a pretty good hold on it. Though I would have it:

1. Trout

2. Donaldson

3. Cabrera

4. Davis

Why is Trout so high on your list. He is below average defensively. I think you could give it to Machado if you are going to say half a players value is defense. And if you are thinking offensively then Cabreras numbers are a lot better than Trouts.

Cabrera is leading the league in BA, OBP, OPS, OPS+, RBIs etc. He has more total bases and less strike outs than Trout. I don't understand the blind love of Trout. His team sucks and it is loaded with big names. He doesn't have a lot of power. He is below average defensively this year. Maybe in a few years he will put up MVP numbers. Right now he is just for people who blindly value WAR above all stats.

It's still pretty jaw dropping to think Trout has 27% of the Orioles TOTAL.

My goodness this team needs a couple hitters with a reasonable approach.

Well the Orioles have outscored the Angels and the Angels have Trout, Pujlos, Hamilton, and Trumbo on their team. The lack of walks haven't seemed to matter.

Why is Trout so high on your list. He is below average defensively. I think you could give it to Machado if you are going to say half a players value is defense. And if you are thinking offensively then Cabreras numbers are a lot better than Trouts.

Cabrera is leading the league in BA, OBP, OPS, OPS+, RBIs etc. He has more total bases and less strike outs than Trout. I don't understand the blind love of Trout. His team sucks and it is loaded with big names. He doesn't have a lot of power. He is below average defensively this year. Maybe in a few years he will put up MVP numbers. Right now he is just for people who blindly value WAR above all stats.

While the above post may be sarcasm, using it as an opportunity to show some key areas of the game where Trout has a huge advantage.

Double Plays:

Cabrera has grounded into 9 more double plays this year than Trout

Extra bases/baserunning:

Trout takes an extra base 57% of the time while Cabrera is at 29%.

Trout has reached third 23 times out of 39 chances when on 1B when a single is hit, compared to 6 out of 48 for Cabrera.

Trout has scored from 2nd on a single 15 out of 20 times, compared to 10 out of 19 for Cabrera.

Trout has 26 net steals (SB - CS) compared to 3 for Cabrera.

Fangraphs has Trout at +3.5 runs in the field and +8 on the bases. Cabrera at -16.8 and -3.4. BBRef has Trout at -8 and Cabrera at -18 fielding runs. Cabrera gives back so many runs with his glove and on the bases that Trout closes the gap between them at the plate and more. He's got plenty of power, that's absurd. There's a reason he leads all of MLB in WAR whether you want to admit it or not. There's also a reason he leads Cabrera in bWAR by 1.9 wins and fWAR by 2.5 wins. He's a better overall player. His team has nothing to do with it.

In a year where he was so far above and beyond the other candidates.

1991 Top 5 vote getters (rWar)

1. Ripken (11.5)

2. Fielder (3.7)

3. Frank Thomas (7.0)

4. Jose Canseco (5.3)

5. Joe Carter (4.7)

The AL playoffs (only 2 teams then) were the Twins versus the Blue Jays and neither team had a truly dominant player that year.

You're talking about an era when WAR wasn't invented let alone used, and BA, HR, RBI were the main standards. I think there are still a majority of voters who use the latter criteria.

While the above post may be sarcasm, using it as an opportunity to show some key areas of the game where Trout has a huge advantage.

Double Plays:

Cabrera has grounded into 9 more double plays this year than Trout

Extra bases/baserunning:

Trout takes an extra base 57% of the time while Cabrera is at 29%.

Trout has reached third 23 times out of 39 chances when on 1B when a single is hit, compared to 6 out of 48 for Cabrera.

Trout has scored from 2nd on a single 15 out of 20 times, compared to 10 out of 19 for Cabrera.

Trout has 26 net steals (SB - CS) compared to 3 for Cabrera.

Are you basing your decision solely one speed?

Are you basing your decision solely one speed?
Some people seem to be basing their opinions slolely on the bat. If that were the case Manny wouldn't be ranked #8 fWAR in MLB. He is almost 5 W better than Cabrera on defense at the same position. Trout is a plus defender and very close in wOBA to Cabrera, as well as being much better on the base paths. But it's apples and oranges. If it was best all around position player it would be Trout. If it were most valuable player to his team, it could well be Davis. As it is, the MVP will be Cabrera.

Archived