Roberts since August 19th

Tony-OH

Actually I just started after his hot streak ended and stated that clearly. Regardless, Roberts is not doing the job offensively and defensively and I still think Flaherty would be better at second base. I also beleive Roberst could actually help the team in a PH role late in games due to his ability to handle the bat and his success getting runners in. Saying that, we agree that Buck is not going to do that, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with him. :D

Not to mention, if we didn't discuss hypothetical situations, that would take out half our conversations! :o

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest mistake the Orioles made in the off-season was not bringing in a 2nd baseman. Roberts still has good at bats b/c of his ability to foul off good pitches, which is more than I can say about most of the other guys on the team. Unfortunately he is still a step slow in the field and he isn't driving the ball at all

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

Roberts is below or at replacement level both offensively and defensively (by some metrics and definitely by a scouting eye). If you feel he's not, that's your opinion, but just because a few fanboys agree with you doesn't mean I'm not right.

Not to mention, if we didn't discuss hypothetical situations, that would take out half our conversations! :o

Haha, but that didn't stop a guy from asking why I even would start this thread. This is a fan site, and sometime I think I should keep my opinions to myself and talk to my scouting buddies because we all see the same thing. I'll leave the fan boys to their rah-rahs! (Not saying you are a fan boy). It is absolutely hilarious to see how defensive some of them get over a guy OPSing +82.

The biggest mistake the Orioles made in the off-season was not bringing in a 2nd baseman. Roberts still has good at bats b/c of his ability to foul off good pitches, which is more than I can say about most of the other guys on the team. Unfortunately he is still a step slow in the field and he isn't driving the ball at all
Roberts is below or at replacement level both offensively and defensively (by some metrics and definitely by a scouting eye). If you feel he's not, that's your opinion, but just because a few fanboys agree with you doesn't mean I'm not right.

They have two fine second basemen. And Brian coming back was the reason that yet another was not brought back. Anything Brian does in the short time he has left does not atone for having hamstrung the Orioles for four season. I like Brian. He did not mean to hurt us as he did. He did hurt us. That said, he has been helpful a couple time recently. Like Andino was sometime.

I feel like, he's not doing the job we'd want a second baseman to do, but he's doing the job we hoped he would. Because we all knew he'd play when healthy and we just hoped it wasn't with a .600 OPS. I don't know anyone who seriously thought he'd OPS higher than .700 or something. He's just too old and has been too hurt for that.

So... if he wasn't the Brian Roberts, a lot more people would be aching for his replacement. Flaherty is probably a little more productive from a win point of view and a lot of people couln't wait to see him out of a job.

Definitely doesn't have that high butt you look for, good face I would think, though.

Derek-Jeter-Scouting-Reports-hit-butt-colt.jpg

Actually, I had to go back and read the original thread which ran from early August til about the 24th. There isn't one "I told you post" in the thread. I think Tony is imagining a secret Brian Roberts cult that doesn't even exist. Most posters just said they didn't have a problem with Roberts at 2B, not necessarily that they would be against Flaherty playing there. The anti-Roberts crowd kind of forced it in to becoming a Roberts vs. Flaherty argument. Bottom line? Roberts has performed better offensively and defensively (to me too) better than his detractors predicted. That's not an "I told you" statement. In fact, I don't think I've commented on the Roberts situation since early August when Tony started the discussion with a "Tony's Take".

Who said I was talking about you? Good God you spend half your time on here just trying to counteract anything I say anyways. Stop taking things so literal. There were plenty of people in that thread all pumped up when Roberts went on his hot week. They have been quiet as he's hit around the low .600 OPS since then. Last night he screwed up two plays that should have been made and most likely would have been made by Flaherty. Just because it didn't cost us doesn't mean it won't. Unfortunately, too many people see him make the routine play or turn the routine DP and think hey, he's fine out there. Well, he is fine on routine plays but so would 90% of the infielders you put out there. It's the non-routine plays where the good defensive players will show their worth.

I'm not a Brian Roberts "hater" like one of the fanboys on here called me. I'm a guy with a scouting background that thinks Flaherty is the better player. Anyone is fine to disagree and prove it otherwise but to get all defensive like some on here is just plain ridiculous. It is amazing how little respect some of you have around here. You would think I've proven myself by this point but I'm still called a hater and act like I'm some reactionary poster by some.

Whatever, it's the internet, and I probably should spend less time dealing with the yahoos and stick to talking with people who want to have a good discussion, even when we disagree. Thsi is what the Hangout is about and has always been about. It's not about only saying rainbows and unicorns about everything!

Definitely doesn't have that high butt you look for, good face I would think, though.

Derek-Jeter-Scouting-Reports-hit-butt-colt.jpg

Is this some attempt to bash scouts because moneyball told you they were old over the hill old men? Guess what, "Trouble with the curve" was idiotic, not a documentary.

Most reasonable posters on the board, know you're wrong. You can call posters like Frobby and myself, Dan-O, and Murph, fanboys if you want but name calling and complete lack of evidence is seen for what it is around here. Spin it all you want.

Frobby is no fanboy. He can disagree without being jerk or condescending. Complete lack of evidence? Uh, yeah, that's what I did. Get a grip.

Is this some attempt to bash scouts because moneyball told you they were old over the hill old men? Guess what, "Trouble with the curve" was idiotic, not a documentary.

Hey now, watch yourself.

You can bash BRob.

You can even call ol' Dippy Boy a fanboy.

But once you start bashing Clint....well....you done gone too far! Get off my lawn!!!!

I feel like, he's not doing the job we'd want a second baseman to do, but he's doing the job we hoped he would. Because we all knew he'd play when healthy and we just hoped it wasn't with a .600 OPS. I don't know anyone who seriously thought he'd OPS higher than .700 or something. He's just too old and has been too hurt for that.

So... if he wasn't the Brian Roberts, a lot more people would be aching for his replacement. Flaherty is probably a little more productive from a win point of view and a lot of people couln't wait to see him out of a job.

I think you are right that too many people have such low expectations that they are happy he's not the .575 OPS guy he was over the last three years. He's clearly better now that he's healthy, but he's still not what we need everyday. At best he's replacement level, and the Orioles need to do better. At least Flaherty brings plus defense and power potential. All I've been trying to say is I think the team would be better with Flaherty playing everyday and Roberts coming off the bench. Apparently that's equivalent to being the anti-christ by some around here. ;)

Archived