Is it too early to plan for 2014?

jamalshw

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On a different note, does anyone think the O's could be in play for the cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero?

Mlbtraderumors says he could sign soon: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/alexander-guerrero-could-sign-soon.html

Someone said Boras has been in town lately.

Britt posted that earlier in the week.

I dont see the Orioles going 5/32 for him.

Pence is a good ballplayer, but this team has enough high power/mediocre OBP types. We need to use LF and DH as opportunities to improve the team's OBP this offseason. Choo would be my first choice by far; he would need a platoon partner in LF or DH (Pearce? Valencia?) but the offense needs help against all kinds of pitchers, not just lefties. Napoli, Ellsbury and Lind would also be good targets.

We shouldn't toss aside McLouth lightly, by the way. Properly platooned, he's a cost-effective player with decent speed and on-base skills. If we signed Choo to play DH, I'd have no problem bringing back McLouth at a reasonable price.

Choo gets on base over 40% of the time, and will likely sign a contract in the 4/55MM range. He should be our #1 target, and can sit for Valencia against #1/#2 lefties. Bat him at leadoff and let McClouth walk.
Where do you get that figure from? What he gets depends on what teams are after him. In any case the reality is he would cost the O's most of the 15 M they have to spend this winter. They need more than just Choo.

Choo gets on base over 40% of the time, and will likely sign a contract in the 4/55MM range. He should be our #1 target, and can sit for Valencia against #1/#2 lefties. Bat him at leadoff and let McClouth walk.
Where do you get that figure from? What he gets depends on what teams are after him. In any case the reality is he would cost the O's most of the 15 M they have to spend this winter. They need more than just Choo.

Agreed. Choo may not get $100 million, but the secret is out on the importance of OBP. I would predict 6 years/$80 million. No way the Orioles can or should spend that on what you are proposing to be a platoon LF. Plus, wouldn't he cost our top draft pick?

Agreed. Choo may not get $100 million, but the secret is out on the importance of OBP. I would predict 6 years/$80 million. No way the Orioles can or should spend that on what you are proposing to be a platoon LF. Plus, wouldn't he cost our top draft pick?

So Peter Gammons is wrong, when he said Choo's value is reduced by his ability to hit LHP?

Bring JJ, McClouth, Feldman back. Move Norris to the pen and look for another SP via FA or trade. The reason why I say bring JJ back is after looking at what Closers make we gotta just ride it out with him for next year. Top closers make like 15 million a year and we gotta think JJ can have another 40+ save season and cut his blown saves down. Then you have Norris in the pen that can go multiple innings or be a back up closing option if JJ fails. So his 5mill after arb next year is a pretty good deal for a potential 5th starter/SU guy.

Then just off the top of my head I'd look to bring in a guy like Dan Haren on a 1/7 deal or maybe trade for Loshe. Vargas from LAA wouldn't be a bad fit but isn't really the #2/3 guy we need. Maybe take a gamble on some of the hurt FA's on a 1 year deal.

I'd rather sign a SP to a 1-2 year deal then have to pay a reliever to give us what Norris could out of the pen next year. Basically my thinking is too keep the rotation status quo at least with the possibility of one of these guys pitching like a #2, but greatly improving the bullpen by adding Norris. My pitching staff would be...

Tillman

Feldman

FA/trade

Chen

Gonzo

JJ

Hunter

Norris

O'day

Stinson

Matusz

Britton/Mac

That pen would have 3-4 guys that can go more than one inning and Norris would provide another guy with a high k rate that can bridge the gap between the 6-9th innings. Gausman get's a pressure free year to develop his slider in AAA and can come up if the need arises.

Archived