Farewell to Mariano

JustMyOpinion

Yes I know this is obviously Orioles fan board. I would most likely feel the same way if he played for any team.

I have to admit that seeing Mariano walk off the mound at Yankees stadium for the last time was a pretty cool moment. Probably one of the greatest relief pitchers of all time. Definitely one of the "classiest" players of all time. I'll will probably feel the same way when Jeter retires. 2 guys who have not only played the game at a elite level, they did it cleanly. The game doesn't have many "legends" left. I'm 25 years old and it feel like he's the last "legend" out there.

It's going to feel funny to not not seeing Mariano out there in the 9th.

Yes I know this is obviously Orioles fan board. I would most likely feel the same way if he played for any team.

I have to admit that seeing Mariano walk off the mound at Yankees stadium for the last time was a pretty cool moment. Without a doubt the greatest relief pitcher of all time. Definitely one of the "classiest" players of all time. I'll will probably feel the same way when Jeter retires. 2 guys who have not only played the game at a elite level, they did it cleanly. The game doesn't have many "legends" left. I'm 25 years old and it feel like he's the last "legend" out there.

It's going to feel great to not not seeing Mariano out there in the 9th.

Fixed that for you. An incredibly great, totally classy guy, who I'm glad the Orioles will never face again. As I posted elsewhere, after his rookie year, Rivera had:

- One year over 3.00 ERA

- Two other years over 2.35 ERA

- Fifteen years of 2.34 or lower, 11 of which were under 2.00.

Unbelievable. The Yankees will never be able to replicate that level of consistency.

Fixed that for you. An incredibly great, totally classy guy, who I'm glad the Orioles will never face again. As I posted elsewhere, after his rookie year, Rivera had:

- One year over 3.00 ERA

- Two other years over 2.35 ERA

- Fifteen years of 2.34 or lower, 11 of which were under 2.00.

Unbelievable. The Yankees will never be able to replicate that level of consistency.

I think he was more correct then you are.

It isn't really fair to compare Mariano, who rarely entered a game with runners on or had to pitch multiple innings, with someone like Goose Gossage. Mo only had one season in which he pitched more then 80.2 innings, Gossage pitched over 140 innings in relief one season.

Since Closer usage changed so much so quickly I don't think it is fair to call one guy unequivocally the best.

I think he was more correct then you are.

It isn't really fair to compare Mariano, who rarely entered a game with runners on or had to pitch multiple innings, with someone like Goose Gossage. Mo only had one season in which he pitched more then 80.2 innings, Gossage pitched over 140 innings in relief one season.

Since Closer usage changed so much so quickly I don't think it is fair to call one guy unequivocally the best.

First of all, I accept (and had already considered) your point about the changing roles of relief pitchers. But all things considered, I stand by my statement. You could argue, for example, that the run Gossage had from 1977 to 1985 was as good, or even better, than any 9-year run that Rivera ever had. But from age 34 on, Gossage was just a decent relief pitcher, nothing special. What sets Rivera apart, in my view, is that he was so incredibly good for 18 years. Career ERA+ of 205, that's insane. Look at any of the other "modern closers" and nobody can come close to touching that. Trevor Hoffman, for example, is at 141.

First of all, I accept (and had already considered) your point about the changing roles of relief pitchers. But all things considered, I stand by my statement. You could argue, for example, that the run Gossage had from 1977 to 1985 was as good, or even better, than any 9-year run that Rivera ever had. But from age 34 on, Gossage was just a decent relief pitcher, nothing special. What sets Rivera apart, in my view, is that he was so incredibly good for 18 years. Career ERA+ of 205, that's insane. Look at any of the other "modern closers" and nobody can come close to touching that. Trevor Hoffman, for example, is at 141.

But would Rivera had that type of durability pitching 120 innings a season?

We don't know, maybe, maybe not.

I certainly agree that he is the top "modern" closer.

Archived