Johnson Part of the Core

Can_of_corn

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Duquette said the club plans to tender Jim Johnson, considers him part of their core.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">September 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Johnson will remain closer despite another big raise coming.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">September 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So they are willing to pay MORE then 6.5 Million for Johnson. If this team cries poor later we know where to look first.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the O's to be tied with the Indians for the 2nd wildcard slot, Johnson would have to have converted all but three of his save opportunities. Do you think that's a reasonable expectation?

He is not good enough. Let him walk! We had the ALDS in our grasp, he failed when it counted most. This is ridiculous really.

fact: Jim Johnson had a poor year

fact: Jim Johnson has saved 99 games the last two years

fact: JJ's BABIP this year was .321, 32 points higher than his career average

fact: JJ blew nine saves this year

fact: If the Orioles make JJ an offer and he declines they get a comp pick

opinion: There aren't a lot of better options out there

opinion: JJ cost us the playoffs

fact: There were a lot of factors that conspired to keep the Orioles out of the post season

I didn't expect him to be non-tendered, but I hope they keep the door open to possibly trading him.

And if trading him is the plan, they wouldn't want to give that away.

I'm not among those who believes in paying a lot for a closer, but I also don't believe there is an alternative on the roster right now. Gausman wasn't picked 4th in the draft to be a reliever and Hunter and O'Day both struggle with lefties, Hunter in particular.

Closers need to be able to get out both righties and lefties effectively. Though it's always possible to go matchups until someone emerges as the guy.

I didn't expect him to be non-tendered, but I hope they keep the door open to possibly trading him.

And if trading him is the plan, they wouldn't want to give that away.

I'm not among those who believes in paying a lot for a closer, but I also don't believe there is an alternative on the roster right now. Gausman wasn't picked 4th in the draft to be a reliever and Hunter and O'Day both struggle with lefties, Hunter in particular.

Closers need to be able to get out both righties and lefties effectively. Though it's always possible to go matchups until someone emerges as the guy.

Exactly.

fact: Jim Johnson had a poor year

fact: Jim Johnson has saved 99 games the last two years

fact: JJ's BABIP this year was .321, 32 points higher than his career average

fact: JJ blew nine saves this year

fact: If the Orioles make JJ an offer and he declines they get a comp pick

opinion: There aren't a lot of better options out there

opinion: JJ cost us the playoffs

fact: There were a lot of factors that conspired to keep the Orioles out of the post season

That's a fact. Back to Back blown saves vs D-Backs broke this team.

Archived