Johnson Part of the Core

Can_of_corn

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim Johnson comes in and F's up seasons. He did in the ALDS in 2012 and then he did it all of 2013 with 9 blown saves and taking 8 losses. He must leave Baltimore. He's caused too much damage that I do not think he can ever repair. He's just too much right now. He must leave this city.

If you'd stick to honing your ability to digest facts you'd do a lot better for yourself. This going off the rails and hammering on emotional hyperbole is unbecoming.

If you'd stick to honing your ability to digest facts you'd do a lot better for yourself. This going off the rails and hammering on emotional hyperbole is unbecoming.

Ahh youth! Calm is like the scrawny kid in the comic book ads of the fifties - kicking chairs over and buying the Charles Atlas workout regimen to become a muscled Adonis (squatting 315 at 153 pounds of sinew). At best, he heeds advice and becomes "Drungo". At worst he is SG Redux.....

Ahh youth! Calm is like the scrawny kid in the comic book ads of the fifties - kicking chairs over and buying the Charles Atlas workout regimen to become a muscled Adonis (squatting 315 at 153 pounds of sinew). At best, he heeds advice and becomes "Drungo". At worst he is SG Redux.....

I think most of us had more confidence than wisdom at his age.

I might have to take a break from posting for about 2 weeks like I did once. Just to lower the intensity. Right now it just sucks to not make the playoffs after Johnson's disaster of the 2012 ALDS and then his really bad 2013 campaign.

I might have to take a break from posting for about 2 weeks like I did once. Just to lower the intensity. Right now it just sucks to not make the playoffs after Johnson's disaster of the 2012 ALDS and then his really bad 2013 campaign.

Maybe try a more appropriate name when you get back.

Maybe try a more appropriate name when you get back.

Seriously.

I can't stand it when people try to lazily put blame on places. Baseball seasons, even games, are complex eco-system type things. There are myriad reasons why the Orioles failed to make the playoffs - JJ is one of them, but HE IS ONLY ONE OF THEM.

If JJ was perfect, then yes, we would have had a better record.

But, if the offense could have found a way to score more than 3 runs a game in August and September - we would have had a better record

If the starters could have found a way to get through the sixth inning on a regular basis, we would have had a better record

etc etc etc.

JJ is just one factor in this season. JJ also lead the legue in apperances, if the offense could have gotten mroe runs late, or the middle-pen held more leads, then JJ would not have been used as much thus not exposed.

The dude had 51 saves in 61 appearances, 9 Blown saves that factored in 8 losses. There are plenty of games that a lack of clutch hitting coast us where JJ would never needed to be a factor.

Over-simplifying something like that is just lazy and ignorant.

But hey, I'm just a nerd who reads.

One of these daze, you'll "get it" Grouch! ;)
I hope not. When I was 14 I was smoking a pipe and reading Kant, and I was still clueless. Now I've gotten to the point where I kinda like it. There are a lot of things going on today, I am happy not to be so aware of.

Shutdowns and Meltdowns are great stats. However, shutdown percentage (by which people seem to mean, and correct me if I'm wrong, SD/(SD+MD)) is not a good stat. Shutdowns and meltdowns occur in different game situations, and a pitcher who has an opportunity for one may not have an opportunity to records the other. For example, a reliever who pitches one inning with his team down by a run may record a meltdown (by increasing the deficit) but can't record a shutdown.

Additionally, many pitchers receive very few SDs and MDs on the year, and a percentage list is likely to be dominated by those who pitch fewer of them and happen to do well. An 11/0 SD/MD split is fantastic, but not necessarily better than a 24/4 split, depending on what else happened.

For a while I was playing around with the concept of a "shutdown opportunity," and even had a working definition, but recording the data from the play-by-play was incredibly time-consuming, so I dropped the project.

If comparing apples to apples (aka closers to closers) then I think it's perfectly acceptable. Really for setup guys it's fine too.

With a 2 run lead, as long as you pitch a whole inning you will be able to record a shutdown provided your inning starts in the 6th inning or later. The only group that gets an advantage is a closer, because they can get a shutdown for allowing a run as long as the run doesn't tie the game and the game is closed out. Setup men that pitch an inning or less will almost always get either a meltdown or no-credit if they allow a run, even if that run does not give up the lead. Aside from that, usage patterns also work against non-closer relievers; relievers are much more likely to be pulled mid-inning due to matchups, and it's hard to record a shutdown pitching less than a full inning. A closer has the advantage of having a complete inning to perform (or fail.)

You can generally safely filter for closers by simply grabbing the top relievers in shutdowns, and sorting that list by SD/MD percentage (which is what I did earlier) because relievers that accumulate 'shutdown opportunities' are either closers or designated 8th-inning setup men. It's not perfect but it's pretty close.

I don't see how this is in any more detail. He omits the part about orange in black being his favorite colors which I think puts the whole thing I a more general context. He is equivocal about extending as he should be.

I can't post a link right now, but check out Melewski's blog entry today about Davis' favorite HR this year. In the entry, Melewski says a reporter had asked Davis if he was just as eager as Duquette to sign a long term deal. Davis answered "I think I'm eagerer". Does that sound equivocal to you? And read the couple of surrounding paragraphs. I'd say Davis pretty clearly wants to stay.

Archived