Andy MacPhail is no different.....

Peace21

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be a group of A & AA minor leaguers.This further prolongs the rebuilding process no matter who they get.

Jones & Clement wont be available in July unless they bust.

Where's it set in stone that the guys we'd be getting back are A and AA?

...and I never said anything about Jones and Clement, either. We could be looking at guys who are tearing up AAA and AA in July who aren't on our radar right now. You never know.

Where's it set in stone that the guys we'd be getting back are A and AA?

...and I never said anything about Jones and Clement, either. We could be looking at guys who are tearing up AAA and AA in July who aren't on our radar right now. You never know.

The guy we'd be getting in July likely were in A and AA last season, making them AA or AAA players by the time July rolls around. Waiting to trade Bedard and Roberts does extend the likely duration of a rebuilding process by one season, IMO. Instead of getting top talent that will be ready to start contributing in 2008 with some more guys behind that, we'll have top talent that is ready to start contributing in 2009 with some more guys behind that. Maybe the guys we'd get in July are simply better prospects, and in the long run it'd turn out better, but its definitely very risky to wait and hold onto these guys until July.

Your point was that people would have a selective memory...What I am saying is that, in hindsight, everything can look different.

Just because a risk pays off doesn't mean it was a good risk or one you should take again.

This is deep, but I agree with SG! Playing this waiting game MAY in fact work out fine for the Orioles, but when you're in rebuild mode, he should take the best deal available now. We have so much to do in so little time, I don't know when MacPhail plans to start doing ANYTHING?

Anyone who is seriously concerned that EB would develop an injury in the first three or four months of next season would also be admitting that they would discount the return in trade for EB for that risk.

So, I'm not sure why some of them (not pointing to anyone in particular) might believe they are "selling high" when the very nature of the "sell before injury" concern indicates a willingness to sell for less than the high.

The guy we'd be getting in July likely were in A and AA last season, making them AA or AAA players by the time July rolls around. Waiting to trade Bedard and Roberts does extend the likely duration of a rebuilding process by one season, IMO. Instead of getting top talent that will be ready to start contributing in 2008 with some more guys behind that, we'll have top talent that is ready to start contributing in 2009 with some more guys behind that. Maybe the guys we'd get in July are simply better prospects, and in the long run it'd turn out better, but its definitely very risky to wait and hold onto these guys until July.

I agree with your thoughts on possibly getting back higher ceiling/ longer wait prospects if we wait until the deadline and I don't know if going this route isn't really the better option. We are looking at a two year process to get back to where we hope we can contend. People like Rowell, Snyder, Weiters, and many of our pitching prospects are going to need that long to continue and progress. Of course it is a risk, but it isn't like the Jones and Clements of the world are going to make us contenders over the next couple of seasons. We are rebuilding and that means patience. I think going after High-A, AA guys with higher ceilings could really pay off when the rebuild is over.

Anyone who is seriously concerned that EB would develop an injury in the first three or four months of next season would also be admitting that they would discount the return in trade for EB for that risk.

So, I'm not sure why some of them (not pointing to anyone in particular) might believe they are "selling high" when the very nature of the "sell before injury" concern indicates a willingness to sell for less than the high.

I don't believe that selling before injury is the only concern. Although I think it is a valid and realistic concern, given Bedard's somewhat fragile nature

How are we going to get major league ready players if they are contibuting for their club in the midst of a pennant race?

For instance, if Jones is performing in the Sea OF, would they really be willing to trade a regular contributor at the deadline? In essence, they would be robbing Peter to pay Paul

In genreal I think that The frustration is palpable because the O's seem to be in a perpetual state of not knowing whether its time time to defecate or get off the pot

In short, I think waiting til the deadline to make the trade, postpones the rebuiliding effort because we are more apt to procure AA or AAA players as opposed to making deal for ML ready players that AM claimed to be seeking

Archived